San antonio

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Im just gonna go to a muffler shop around here that can bend pipe. Nothing special just want to get this thing on the road. Some mki and mkii guys stopped by when they saw my car, and kinda got me motivated. Then I got a call from a old buddy from Austin that gave me the kick in the pants I needed.

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Well I didn't get as much done today as i would have wanted; the sun came out and I had to work. I only got the leather sun visors done on the car which came out pretty nice but took too long to get them the way i wanted. Oh well, at least thats one less thing on the list to do. Tommorrow is another day and I'm getting my alignment done; hopefully it goes smoothly and dont get a list of parts that need to get changed. Aside from that I'm hoping to get alot more done since I dont work Sundays :x:

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
FIRE IN ENGINE BAY!!!

This morning I was out doing some street tuning with the mapecu. I pulled over to make some adjustments to the fuel table and notice a bit of smoke coming from under the hood. I jumped out and lifted the hood up to discover I had a small fire going on the turbo manifold! I was pretty small so I put it out with my mighty morning breath. I was parking next to some landscaping in an entrance to a nice neighborhood. I was about to run and grab a handful of dirt and toss it on the manifold if it got out of hand.

You guys remember that power steering leak that I've been so lazy and stubborn about fixing? That's the cause. Whenever the rpm's get high one of my PS hoses leak. It apparently spews all over my exhaust manifold which caught on fire this time. I guess I got my motivation to pull the hose and get it fixed.

I'm thinking about taking off the hose and take it over to Taylor Made Hose off Bandera and having them replace the rubber hose part of the power steering line. They'll re-crimp new hoses on it. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

On a side note, I think I'm going to invest into a small fire extinguisher and put it in the car.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Eagles - One of these nights. I had that song in my head all day long. I'm old.

I did take a look at that pressure line today to see how to take it off. It doesn't look hard at all. I'll be tackling it sometime this week. Hopefully.

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
Sup guys,
Kinda missed the Supra game. I've had a tough year but things are looking up. Mom is doing better with her chemo....she responded well and looks to be headed towards remission. Decided to move...house. officially on market in October. My kid got a job...hopefully she can work and do college. Now i have a little time for myself and will start puttin that time into the Supra since i do need to get it running to move it from my garage. Thanks Evan for the cylinder head. I cleaned it you and it looks better than mine by far. So hopefully i can have it on its own power in 1-2wks.

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
The alignment went ok aside from a few things they noted. For starters they were able to get it up the ramp without any of the boards i took so that was definitely a plus. They didn’t really tell me anything i didn’t already know as far as the suspension was concerned. The dust boot on one of the inner tie rods is torn although they said I could possibly spring a power steering leak from there :dunno: They also told me that a coupler (I’m guessing a bearing of some kind) that connects the rack to the steering column has got a little more slack than its supposed to and making more steering wheel play. Lastly they asked me if I had ever changed the ball joints on the car and i told them no, so they recommended that i change the lower ball joints since they are the original ones from back in 88 and because they have 245K miles (not necessarily because of them looking bad). They were able to get the alignment done and tighten everything up without any problems. I'm going to get a better look at the ball joints tonight and if they look a bit off ill change them if not I’ll probably do that once i get back.
The old tires were definitely pretty beat up and needed changing, You can see my toe was off from the wear on the inner wall. There were several flat spots on the front tires as well as lumps on one in the rear and one in the front. I think this was all courtesy of the Twisted Sisters
IMG-20130920-00092.jpg

IMG-20130920-00094.jpg

Oh and I'm loving the new kicks!!!!!!
IMG-20130920-00095.jpg

Its nice to see everybody getting a little bit of life back on their cars and on this thread, i'm still hopeful on one day getting a Supra meet together :x:

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I was going to get on that pressure line today, but I had to do my rear brakes on the Protégé. I went by my friends shop so he can turn my rotors, but he didn't have time to do it. He had a lot of work on his hands and was a bit cranky, so I just slapped on the new pads without machining the rotors. Oh well, this isn't the first time I've done it this way. I'll do it next time. I might take off the pressure line tomorrow. Might.

Tires looks good Miguel. Does it handle better with the new shoes?
Darrel, where are looking to buy?

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
Damn Miguel.... the Twisted Sisters did that to your tires?

Rufus.....thinkin of moving to San Marcos. But we've done a little upgrading to the house and it seems like a new house. I should stop and just sell now.

Evan......Yeah I'm hoping the cylinder head turns out better. Gonna send it to get cleaned, tanked, and milled Thursday.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Yeah, steering pressure hose was no good. Had pinholes all over. Evan I don't know how you snaked it out, but I couldn't for the life of me. I ended up just cutting the damn thing in half and removed it. I'm going to have Taylor Made Hoses make me one very similar to Driftmotion's steering hose. As long as it's functional and leak proof I'm good. I'll stop by tomorrow and see what they can do.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Power steering pressure line done. Today after work I stopped by Taylor Made Hoses and showed them the length I wanted. I mocked up my old banjo bolts I cut up with a BS hose I had on there and took it up there. They said they could use my banjo bolt assemblies I had and they'd braze some males fittings on them. Make me a hose (3000psi rubber) with female fittings that I could bolt up to the banjos. It took them all of 35minutes to make it, and a total cost of $19.52 out the door. I don't know what the "real" price of that hose would have been because they put it on my jobs account.

I installed it, filled up the reservoir with dexron atf, and started the car. My dumbass didn't crank down the bolt to the rack tight enough and it was spewing out like mad. I got back under there and tightened it down good. Topped off the fluid, started her back up, and it was good to go. I'm happy. No more leaks, and no fire hazard anymore. That's a plus.

Last edited:

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
BTW, there's this '89+ White package supra over on Eckhert Rd. that's been there for well over a year. I stopped to talked to the shop about it and apparently the owner of the car has several MKIII's. He's known to be a fanatic of MKIII's. The mechanic there couldn't tell me more about it and asked me to come back and talk to the owner of the shop. Supposedly it's there for repairs, and has been sitting untouched since. I'll get to the bottom of this and see who this masked MKIII fanatic is.

whitehat89

Jul 10, 2011
I ran into a Hispanic gentleman who owns a White package 89+ at a car meet at Guitar center months back, he claimed to own a performance shop and offered me a job, but I was never able to track his shop down... Maybe the same guy?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2