San antonio

B shaw

Jan 9, 2013
Tx
I'm hoping to see around 450ish. Wouldn't be too terribly disappointed if it had more, just worried since I'm only on rc550's. I would be coming from Killeen with the mk3, that's why I'm asking if anyone knows if a reputable place that might be closer. I have found 2 local tuning shops here but refuse to use them for anything because of their attitude. One prefers Hondas and rags on any other type of vehicle. I was constantly asked why I wanted such a huge underpowered car when I could easily trade in for $1k toward a Honda with it. The other wont dyno it. They only dyno domestics and street tune the rest. Kinda messed up, but judging by those 2 I kinda would like to find a better place closer to here if possible. If need be I can baby it to Austin area. I have one last purchase to make before I can get it tuned and I'm having a rather hard time with finding it. I'm in need if 2.5" ic piping, specifically from the fender to throttle body that supports stock style air bypass. I have the Bosch 110 due at my door any day now, but my current piping will not support that and no longer has the hks on it because it cracked on me at the base.

sterlingae

Jun 11, 2007
Austin, TX
Marc Evans I believe worked at boost logic now works in Austin at ems. Really cool guy. Then there is uprev and also spl parts I'm sure one of those shops can give you a lead in the right direction if not do it themselves. 550 sounds alittle small for those numbers but I'm used to 4 cylinders.. haha
Noribilt in San Antonio tunes I think they said somewhere between $400-600

B shaw

Jan 9, 2013
Tx
Yea, I'm worried about the injectors being able to keep up. But for now they will have to do and I will have to tune around them. They are most def the limiting factor in the setup. I think 450 is a realistic hope with what I have done.

.040 forged bottom end / clevite bearings / 1.5 mhg / arp everywhere possible / walbro 255 / afpr / rc550 / lex afm / safcII / t4 p trim 60-1 in stock shell / bic ddp / 3" exhaust / apex-I intake / stock air bypass / wideband / turbo timer / profec-bII / -20/30 boost gauge / 420 ft/lb clutch /

B shaw

Jan 9, 2013
Tx
I'm not sure just yet when I will. I have to wait for my plugs to come in, and the Bosch 110 as well. I'm still trying to find upper ic piping that's 2.5" and will work with the Bosch 110 as well. I'm not in a big hurry. I want to make sure everything is in top working order. I would like to have it tuned by march.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Went to cars and coffee today. Saw and hung out with Miguel & Pop. It was cool. There was this older Skyline there that had an LQ9 worked over with T56 LS7 flywheel, rollcage, and other goodies and such. It sounded nice. I probably wouldn't have done that kinda swap to a rare right hand drive imported Japanese car, but would definitely do it to my MKIII. I didn't get any pics cause it was drizzling and didn't want to get my wife camera wet. There was a nice mix of cars there. I can see myself going back to another event.

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Suprapowaz!(2);1909297 said:
Went to cars and coffee today. Saw and hung out with Miguel & Pop. It was cool. There was this older Skyline there that had an LQ9 worked over with T56 LS7 flywheel, rollcage, and other goodies and such. It sounded nice. I probably wouldn't have done that kinda swap to a rare right hand drive imported Japanese car, but would definitely do it to my MKIII. I didn't get any pics cause it was drizzling and didn't want to get my wife camera wet. There was a nice mix of cars there. I can see myself going back to another event.

It's always cool hanging out with ya Rufus. I got a chance to take a pic of the Skyline so I'll help you out with that

IMAG0582.jpg

I also got a chance to dig around and found that FCD!!

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
Hey B Shaw,
I asked my co worker if he knows any tuner shops in your area since he lived in the Waco area and he knows of one in Waco but they do mostly Hondas and Subarus. He said they same thing you said about the shop in your area. I know it'll be a pain in the azz drive to austin area or dallas/fort worth for a tune but that's what its looking like.

B shaw

Jan 9, 2013
Tx
Ok. I was hoping to find one closer, but it looks like it will be Austin. That drive in gonna be hard. A little over an hour in the supra with no boost!! That's unheard of!! Lol. I'd rather Be safe than sorry. Besides tuning concepts is known for their work with the supra. Thank you everyone for the info. I will be posting results and hopefully a video if possible after its tuned.

B shaw

Jan 9, 2013
Tx
It's possible. It all depends on when I can get it tuned. It's looking more and more like I won't have time until early to mid march, which happens to be about time for 2k13. The one trailer I know I can get will be in Houston for that time. I'm hoping and trying to get things to work out.

B shaw

Jan 9, 2013
Tx
I'm looking due a dyno. My last tune was on 9psi and it made 354.85. I'm turning boost up to 18-20 this time. Curious to see what numbers will come from that.

NicMK3

Oct 8, 2012
San Antonio, Tx
1988ma70supra;1909752 said:
I all comes down to preference. I prefer a street tune as that where my car is 99% of the time; but if you want to show the big numbers and sqeeze as much HP out as possible, you cant beat a dyno tune.
I'm getting my tuned on a drive around, plus I don't wanna spend a tone on a dyno tune, I've heard most tuners aren't too familiar with ecu on the mkIII considering I don't have a MAP yet

Nic

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
NicMK3;1909713 said:
Do y'all prefer tunning at a dyno or a drive around tune?

Nic

Yeah i would say it's just what you perfer. I figure since most of us have spent some good amount of change on 'beefing' up the performance of our 20+ yr old cars that you want to know if that money is hitting the rear tires. To me a street tune is fine for your preference and butt dyno needs. A true dyno will squeeze out as much hp as the car can take safely. I for one do not have an accurate butt dyno so i'm leaning towards a dyno tune......if i can ever keep the car on the road long enough!

sterlingae

Jun 11, 2007
Austin, TX
It moved on its own power! Drove down my steet and back home. Alignment Monday I should be cruising this next week!
p1911026_1.jpg