San antonio

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
nicole43105;1577264 said:
well i put 40 miles on the car yesterday onlly for it to lose idle and leave me stranded so i had it towed

If you start it back up can you keep the idle up with a little throttle? Or will it not stay on at all? There a big vacuum line towards the front of the intake manifold that if it comes loose your car will not idle. It would just keep dying. I had that thing pop off on me once, and that's what it was doing... dying. Luckily I was able to find it, plug it back in, and go. I'll see if I can find something on it.

nicole43105

Feb 18, 2010
san antonio, tx
im not sure took it to toyota and said fuck it i need a break, it sheared the timing belt to pieces though i found out this afternoon and should be fixed thursday evening

mensrea

Sep 6, 2009
Schofield Barracks, HI
nicole43105;1577264 said:
well i put 40 miles on the car yesterday onlly for it to lose idle and leave me stranded so i had it towed
Funny you should mention that. I drove from NW (Oregon) to Killeen, took me a few days, yesterday during the day when it was hot as shit, I started to get idle/rpm problems. It would sputter, backfire, and blow black smoke out the tail pipe. The AFR readings were off the chart at like 9-10.1 on "cruising" at ~ 2K +. Got stranded more than once on the freeway for a few hours at a time. Anyway, my exhaust temp reached as high as ~11.5k, my guess is that there is way too much heat in the engine compartment, that and you guys got shitty 90 octane gas in all these small towns I passed. Now I'm gonna go and try to find a place that can fab some kind of hood scoop/cut out crap to get that hot air out of there... can't think of anything else that would solve the heat problem. well, maybe an oil cooler aswell.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
I don't think It had anything to do with the "shitty gas". Nor do I think the heat under the hood had anything to do with it. You might what to leave your car in Oregon next time. If it can't handle the heat now, I don't know what your gonna do when summer starts.

mensrea

Sep 6, 2009
Schofield Barracks, HI
Really? I was pretty sure it was the heat, since turbo was running really hot and felt like it couldn't get in enough air (less density).
Lower octane makes my exhaust temps go higher.
Also, I'm not talking about little 1 or 2 hour drives here.. I do around 10-16 hours a day at ~3k rpm for the most part with exhaust temps going ~800-900F, which would make the turbocharger run ~200-300F hotter than exhaust... that is a lot of heat build up under the hood.. am I wrong?

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Nope. I don't drive more then 4 hrs at a time. But I run her hard and never had a heat issue. There is a lot of heat that comes off my 60-1 so I bought a heat blanket for it. It's a 1jz.

san supra

May 21, 2009
san antonio
if your car is operating properly then you should be able to drive all day across texas with the shitty gas and not have a engine temp problem.

i drove my car from here to florida (14hrs) and had zero problems.

mensrea

Sep 6, 2009
Schofield Barracks, HI
I have no engine temp problem. My coolant/engine stays at the same temp no matter what, I have real good coolant alternative :)
The problem is withe the turbo getting hot on hot day/days+long drive seems like I'm getting heatsoak, like it can't get enough cool air at times.. I'm also suspecting my igniter+tps for the weird RPMs at times. just got a tps, gonna put it on later and see if that fixes it. had no probs on my little ~10 mile drive through traffic just now thu.

P.S. I drove all the way to the east coast, than back to west, and now down to TX in the past 5 months, and crap load of places in between. didn't have probs like this, although I got to admit, it was bal*s cold on previous drives.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Hey guys, I've started my last class here at SPCSWC. It's a plastics/fiberglass repair class. I brought my front bumper cover in to repair it, but I'm missing some pieces and it doesn't look like it's going to be a keeper. I'll do what I can on it, but in the meantime I'm looking for an 89+ from bumper cover and lip. If you guys spot one for sale locally please let me know. Michael, I know you must have one laying around with the 4 MKIII's you have in your backyard. Weren't you parting one out, or was it for sale?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
san supra;1578609 said:
fix my wing where the antenna goes!

Take it off and give it here. I'll see what I can do. It'll come back to you primered though. Unless of course you buy the paint and all. Just remember you have to buy all of the material needed to fix it. If you're really interested LMK.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Suprapowaz!(2);1578593 said:
Hey guys, I've started my last class here at SPCSWC. It's a plastics/fiberglass repair class. I brought my front bumper cover in to repair it, but I'm missing some pieces and it doesn't look like it's going to be a keeper. I'll do what I can on it, but in the meantime I'm looking for an 89+ from bumper cover and lip. If you guys spot one for sale locally please let me know. Michael, I know you must have one laying around with the 4 MKIII's you have in your backyard. Weren't you parting one out, or was it for sale?

I have one, when do you need it by?