San antonio

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I was talking to a friend of mine that runs his own mechanic shop today. He just got a starter back from a shop down the street that rebuilds starters and alternators. The owner of the vehicle chose to have it rebuilt instead of buying a new unit. He told me that when starters go out most of the time it's just the contacts inside. Most of those contacts cost anywhere from $3-4 each. Not sure how many are in there though. He said he'd show me how it's done.

Have you guys ever thought about getting an estimate to see how much it cost to get yours rebuilt? It's gotta be much cheaper than $140+. Just a thought.

supra.usa

7m.performance
Mar 22, 2009
San Antonio, Texas, United States
san supra;1621371 said:
ok any more progress on peoples cars?

Yovani did you ever fix your rear panel?

what do yall think about me cutting my rear springs?

kindda, i need a CPS mine has an internal leak, and all that oil is cutting my spark, and i need the R.R spindle hub, wheel bearing is bad plus bushing, problly just go to a junk yard and get it. but if anyone has an extra CPS please let me know asap.. thanks.

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
It's cheaper to just pull it apart, and put a fresh shaft seal on it.
I bought a seal from Bohls Bearing down on Probant, 222-9677
Was like $8.
Sorry, it was a few years ago, so I don't remember the size.

supra.usa

7m.performance
Mar 22, 2009
CT26smoker;1623028 said:
It's cheaper to just pull it apart, and put a fresh shaft seal on it.
I bought a seal from Bohls Bearing down on Probant, 222-9677
Was like $8.
Sorry, it was a few years ago, so I don't remember the size.

if this is for me, i was thinking about doing that. problly this weekend. thanks.

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
supra.usa;1623073 said:
if this is for me, i was thinking about doing that. problly this weekend. thanks.

It was.
You just need to be extremely careful when removing, and reinstalling the electronics & rotor.
(the seal is under them)

The rotor is pressed on, so it will take a gear puller to remove it.
And it has to go back on in the same place, or the timing will be screwed up.
I held the engine end in soft jaws on a bench vice, with a marked point on the rotor exactly at 12 o'clock.
That makes it easier to get back in the right position.

When installing the electronics, don't tighten the screws down right away, as there is some movement on the screws, and you need to make sure the rotor doesn't hit one side or other.
So it will take a bit of trial & error to get the gap on all sides close to being the same.

Last edited:

slopra

Formerly tsavenged
Jan 15, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Did somebody here from the site buy that r154 off that Craigslist ad that Davis had posted a link to? :(

Edit: David not Davis, stupid predictive text lol

supra.usa

7m.performance
Mar 22, 2009
CT26smoker;1623223 said:
It was.
You just need to be extremely careful when removing, and reinstalling the electronics & rotor.
(the seal is under them)

The rotor is pressed on, so it will take a gear puller to remove it.
And it has to go back on in the same place, or the timing will be screwed up.
I held the engine end in soft jaws on a bench vice, with a marked point on the rotor exactly at 12 o'clock.
That makes it easier to get back in the right position.

When installing the electronics, don't tighten the screws down right away, as there is some movement on the screws, and you need to make sure the rotor doesn't hit one side or other.
So it will take a bit of trial & error to get the gap on all sides close to being the same.

thanks, didn't have time to work on it this weekend, i'll take it apart during the week.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
slopra;1623970 said:
Did somebody here from the site buy that r154 off that Craigslist ad that Davis had posted a link to? :(

Edit: David not Davis, stupid predictive text lol

I still have mine..... I'm in trouble and can't work on the old sup. I don't have a need for two any more. I'm not allowed to pump any more money into the supra till we pay of her civic and buy her a is250. It really shifted good and crisp when it was running. I filled it with redline, I don't know if that had anything to do with it felling so good.

slopra

Formerly tsavenged
Jan 15, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Jz bellhousing or no? Pm me a price. And yes redline is very good! Plus you said the one you had, had like 55k on it or something right?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
S.A. supra;1624087 said:
I still have mine..... I'm in trouble and can't work on the old sup. I don't have a need for two any more. I'm not allowed to pump any more money into the supra till we pay of her civic and buy her a is250. It really shifted good and crisp when it was running. I filled it with redline, I don't know if that had anything to do with it felling so good.

Welcome to my world. Why don't you just trade the Civic in, and buy the IS250? Or does she want to keep the Civic as a daily driver?
Well, at least you had a good run this last year working on, and collecting Supra stuff. It was only a matter of time until she'd yank on that leash. Do you have to sell your extra MKIII's? How's Darrell doing?

slopra

Formerly tsavenged
Jan 15, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I'd be down to go eat and go to the car show out there in castroville for the night but idk about track day unless I get my transmission done by then.