Rust issues/ And repairs :)

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
lol, I was just contemplating on having the canvas top done, maybe with carbon fiber cloth.... But it's probably gonna cost alot more than it'd be worth to have done. My line of thinking was that it looks good on a cadilac lol, maybe i could put a metallic supra logo on the pillar like the caddies lol

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
So i've been horribly busy the last 6 months and haven't had time to do more than strip the interior, i'm removing the wheel well i have tacked in now to do some finish work and prime it, before i install it for good i want to build a jig to get the car up on it's side. I can't afford to spend more than 500 max on this so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas? i've seen the professional rotisseries and car tilters and i know that they are beyond my ability to reproduce, what if i was to build a brace out of carpeted 4x4 treated lumber and slowly tilt the car over, do you think it would hold the weight of the car without distorting the shape? any other ideas as well i'm planning this very carefully before i proceed and i'm open to anything that will get the job done and be within my budget.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
I wouldn't do it unless the car was mechanically stripped. Way too heavy and you will crush body panels.
What I've done with my Jaguar project is make a dolly that sits under the car. The two rear uprights lock into the rear jack points and the front two uprights are notched and capture the sill spotweld seam. The horizontal cross braces are wider than the car and square, so I can strap the shell to the dolly to hold both together and lift one side of the dolly with my engine hoist. Then I just support the car vertically with a couple of well placed jackstands at strong points. I don't have a photo of the car on it's side, but this shows you the dolly. Very simple and cheap to make:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Poked my head in for a few important bits

Typhoon;1742046 said:
Just a quick word on resale values. I'm 40 years old and I've seen so many years and models of cars go from being everywhere and worth nothing, to rare, hard to find and worth half decent money in 10 years its scary.
As long as people keep hacking them to bits, sending them to the crushers and parting them out, the numbers of them keep dwindling until they're all of a sudden hard to find. THEN they'll be worth a lot more than they are now.
The Mk2 Supra is already climbing in value here in Australia, Mk3's will surely follow.
So stop junking perfectly good cars, if you don't want it, sell it on to someone who does.
So, to say it's not worth fixing, well, maybe not now, but give it 5-10 years and that not worth fixing car sill most definitely be worth fixing.

Words of wisdom here. MkIIIs and their owners cant be hated forever! Make the most of parts availability and ease of access while you can, as even MkII stuff is tough for me to get.
Chaingun;1738443 said:
The true value of a Mk3 isn't in the resale value, my car is an extension of me, and i'm going to work my ass of on it to make it exactly what i want. some people paint, some make music, me... I weld.
^ Also this. It's a labor of love; however frustrating it may be, it is worth it in the end.

Being able to roll the chassis around like what Typhoon has is incredibly helpful as well. It quickly becomes so much more convenient and pays itself off very quickly