Rust issues/ And repairs :)

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
So I finally have my parts cut and i'm adding the breaks in the metal to form it in the correct shape. Thankfully I've gotten my hands on a DD and I can finally get started on cutting out the rusted parts. This project is well underway now and I'll have pics to share :) On the downside, I also have a small squeaky tenant under my driver seat. I left him a snappy little surprise :)

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
Chaingun;1706905 said:
So I finally have my parts cut and i'm adding the breaks in the metal to form it in the correct shape. Thankfully I've gotten my hands on a DD and I can finally get started on cutting out the rusted parts. This project is well underway now and I'll have pics to share :) On the downside, I also have a small squeaky tenant under my driver seat. I left him a snappy little surprise :)

Pesky rodents:( My wife HATES them. Everytime one shows up in my house (thankfully not often), she WILL NOT REST until she hears the trap snap on the little fucker's neck. Unfortunately, that means I don't rest either. It really is true...if momma aint happy , nobody's happy;) Oh yeah, I almost forgot to say:ttiwwp:

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Got the little bastard the first try fortunately, in more recent news in addition to the new wheel well panels I'm ready to weld in, I have gotten a replacement sunroof for my car, the aftermarket one in it is over 20 years old and replacement parts are no longer available. I cut and removed the factory sunroof from a 2000's Monte Carlo and i'll be welding it in as well. My car will look like frankenstein's monster for a while but the end result will be worth it anyone know what the factory white color is called, I was gonna change it but I have change my mind

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Ugh im battling the rust issue my self in the spare tire well its pretty bad.. i do not know how or have the skills to do it my self so its gonna cost me.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
There is a frame off resto and a rust fix. I tried the rust fix... and now I am back to redoing it. (mostly to complete and rustproof) The car is built wrong for avoiding rust, however.. I think I can get enough years out of the car to make it worth it. Face it.. the picture of every single one of cars in the end will be identical... garbage. Its the ride to the end that I am interested in. 4500.00 worth of bodywork (I cant do bodywork.. I wont even attempt it) and another 8000.00 later (for finishing touches, paint and body kit) and I will be ready to look at attacking the inside of the car for "rust-prone" areas. There is a product on the market called "Rust Bullet" I believe (I have the link somewhere) that is supposed to completely stop rust. Expensive as hell mind you.

I find that keeping a clean car, avoiding rain and snow drives will help a lot.. but you cant stop it unless you have a humidity controlled storage environment.. and good luck on that with a 8000.00 car.. :)

I love the car and worry about it a little.. but not enough to stop the fun of owning it. Maintenance and tons of cash are all I can do about it...

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Grandavi;1710607 said:
I love the car and worry about it a little.. but not enough to stop the fun of owning it. Maintenance and tons of cash are all I can do about it...

I feel the same except i dont have tons of cash :( only good news is i live in a desert. but rust is a problem for my car at the moment it spent the first 20 years of its life in san diego california

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
eventually i'll be moving back to oklahoma, and my car will be spending all of it's winters in a heated garage until then, sorry about the lack of pics, the project is a bit stalled at the moment due to some other financial issues, but i will have them up as soon as i have enough good ones to post

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
take a look here for fun as well (the two folders on the right show the rust/body work). This car is finally going in for final body prep and paint.. yay. :)
(total cost (because I am inept at doing bodywork myself) when all is said and done is slightly over 12,000.00.. so if you see a complete MKIII that is actually rust-free, its worth it.. lol)

http://www.gdscentral.net/88supra/1988SupraPics/index.html

Both wheel wells were undercoated but no metal left under the undercoat really... all perforated. I find this a LOT on Supras for sale..
None of the rust under the plastic was evident when I bought the car because.. well.. you cant see it. :)

The interior rust shows you where you have water leaks to fix. Fix those as well as the metal to prevent it. I will be rustproofing the interior as good as I can before I put the interior back in. There is no real protection in the quarter panel area.. its just metal waiting for water really...

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Just found same crap on my Supra 2 days ago! Removed the rear speakers and found the cancer but the amount of rust was small.
Didn't waste a second. Took the car this morning to the body shop (don't have the tools or the knowledge to repair it myself).
Just got it back (paid the shop $200). Rust free! Got some pics.. They did a nice job.
Anyway... If it is not very bad with only a small amount of rust,everybody should repair it! Not just to save another mk3 Supra from
the scrap yard but because it's your car and you like it and you'll do whatever to keep it clean and in good condition....rust free indeed.

Left side
p1711860_1.jpg

Right side
p1711860_2.jpg

Spare wheel location
p1711860_3.jpg

Trunk view
p1711860_4.jpg

Good luck with your car man. I know that the final result will make you happy!

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Wooo finally got some work done on the rust issues. Here's some pics finally :)

IMG_0645.jpgIMG_2952.jpgIMG_4815.jpgIMG_0057.jpgIMG_1471.jpg
cutting the rest of the rust out tomorrow and finishing sandblasting this side.

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
POR-15 i gotta get around them. Kudos to the person that mentioned it. I have the rust issues on my boot too. I'm a little worried that I might bump into more rust if i ever decided to take the carpet off. Gotta learn about this panel stuff.

spencyg

Oct 7, 2010
Maine, USA
SupraClaou;1711860 said:
Just got it back (paid the shop $200).

You paid $200 for them to slap some bondo on the rust and paint it with rattle can silver? Man...

That shit will be rusted through 3 times as bad by this time next year.

Do it right, or don't do it at all. Doing it right involves a welder, sheetmetal, and either skill, or lots of money.

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
In my case i'm removing A LOT of bad metal and welding new in it's place, i got lucky with the rocker panels, the rust doesn't extend more than an inch or two forward, i can cut it all out without any issues. BTW i'm not using POR15 or Rust Bullet or any super expensive rust treatment, i'm completely removing the rust with a media blaster, then using Rustoleum rust reformer, i've had great success with it on things like Lawn furniture that has been cleaned up and repainted, some of it even sat outside all winter without rusting again.

It's important to remember if you're going to weld in your own panels, if you are using a gasless welder CLEAN THE AREA before painting or you're asking for it to oxidize again, normal MIG welding uses a shielding gas to prevent contaminants that can accelerate the rusting process. I'm also stitch welding these panels in, ie welding in one spot then moving to another about an inch down, then coming back and filling in the gap one spot at a time to prevent the metal from warping and to ensure a snug fit, however i plan on using automotive body sealer on each patch to ensure it's water tight, I can't be too careful with my Supra :)

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I have some respect for you. If i would have pulled my bumper off and saw that amount of rust i would have thrown in the towel, and sold the car. I actually almost threw it back together planning on selling it and buying another mk3. But I stuck with it and now i have a nearly rust free car. Just gotta repair the rocker panel.

Just stick with it and youll be happy in the end..

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
I'm already happy that I've gotten started on this project, with any luck i'll have the time this coming weekend to get the patch panels welded in on the drivers side and the spare tire well I should have plenty of time to work on it now since my garage is ready to work in. pics from today
IMG_5508.jpgIMG_4919.jpg

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
wondering in regards to the inside metal (under the carpet...) I only saw one spot that had rust from some odd spot (looks like moisture coming in from the louvre behind the passenger side window...I replaced the louvres though with brand new OEM versions), should a person sand the interior paint and then coat it with Por-15 or Rust bullet, then repaint over top? Or just leave it be because if it hasn't rusted in the past 23 years.. it probably wont.

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
I'm not an expert body worker or anything, but for me the easiest way to think of rust is like cancer, if you leave it your taking your chances, the only way to cure it is 100% removal, rust bullet and por15 are not end alls for rust. It should be sanded smooth, and cleaned with mineral spirits before any rust inhibitor or paint is applied. Otherwise as someone stated above it will be back next year 3 times worse. That's due to the paint/bondo/ Fiberglass etc trapping moisture against the metal. If your rust is under the carpet have it washed with one of the treatments you'd use to get rust out of clothing and replace that section of pad as well

legolyle

hopeful
Mar 17, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
I just wanted to second your idea of adding a drain to the rear wheel well area where the antenna is and the respective opposite side. I'm not sure if you've seen what can happen if the trunk leaks and water sits in those areas. But trust me, it isn't pretty. Both sides come with drain plugs from the factory-for a reason.

I'm doing my best to fix that same problem in my 88, someone never bothered pulling the drain plug and now that entire area is really just gone. Working on it right now, and some small rust spots in the trunk because of said leaks :(

TooLern

Jul 6, 2011
Norway
Seem like i have the same problems that you have with all the rust.
I think im going to get help from a man who works with chassis tho. :p