Running richer than before fixing the original hoses that come from my cooleze intake

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
So I really don't understand this. I have no check engine lights, the car starts up and idles around 1k. So far(about 10 starts) it hasn't idled like crap and wanted to shutoff.

The 4 hoses: stock bov hoses(2) and the other two hoses that come off the accordion pipe(cooleze metal, rubber sucked and was old)
Before I replaced these hoses there was popping coming from the exhaust on idle and when I let off the gas after acceleration(not WOT).

After I replaced them it has become worse. Much more frequent popping. Shouldn't this have fixed the problem.

Mods/work done - KN intake, 3in BIC RDDP, 3.5 BIC Thunder exhaust w/ resonator, 1.88mm cometic MLS MHG. Haven't checked the compression but .35mm of material was removed from the head when it was resurfaced. The block was in flawless condition and no material was removed.

Known problems - valve covers are leaking slightly(just haven't got around to fixing it). Low oil pressure(never goes over 40) Engine cuts out between shifts if I don't gear up or down after acceleration(minimal to WOT)

This is my daily driver so its hard to do anything major unless its over the weekend.

Last edited:

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
sounds like you have some big boost leaks... what condition are you IC lines in? and you got new o-rings for the injectors when you did the head right? because those wear out too...

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
Rennat;970798 said:
sounds like you have some big boost leaks... what condition are you IC lines in? and you got new o-rings for the injectors when you did the head right? because those wear out too...

Even if i didn't replaced the o-rings, how would that make it run rich. Wouldn't it cause the complete opposite. I'll check my IC lines this weekend. Still don't understand how fixing the air leaks I talked about would cause the problem to worsen... Thanks man.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Easy. If those hoses were leaking, they would cause you to run rich on boost, and lean on decel.

On decel, you have vacuum in the system, so a leak will pull in extra unmetered air, making your mixture lean.

On boost, you have pressure in the system, so a leak will push out metered air, making your mixture rich.

Since you fixed the leaks, you are now richer than you were on decel, and leaner than you were on boost.

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
GrimJack;971149 said:
Easy. If those hoses were leaking, they would cause you to run rich on boost, and lean on decel.

On decel, you have vacuum in the system, so a leak will pull in extra unmetered air, making your mixture lean.

On boost, you have pressure in the system, so a leak will push out metered air, making your mixture rich.

Since you fixed the leaks, you are now richer than you were on decel, and leaner than you were on boost.

Thanks for really explaining that. I still have tonnes to learn so every good answer like this helps a lot. It is common sense I just didn't have the mind set to think of it.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
boost leak, bad TPS

also, the clamps on the cooleeze accordian replacment suck and won't clamp down tight enough (stock are t-bolt style)