Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
RIDE OF THE MONTH

ENCORE TOUR!

AUGUST​

AND THE WINNER IS..........

HKS_TRD -AKA- DANIEL T.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

MY TAKE: Daniel's car is a perfect way to get ROTM back into a rhythm this month. Its gorgeous all the way around and the attention to detail is what has given him this honor. A clean "stockish" looking body gives way to a heavily modified interior and engine bay. Once again, we find a wonderful example of what these cars can achieve with a little bit of elbow grease. Congrats Daniel.

Name: Daniel T
SM User Name: HKS_TRD
Year/Color/Model: 1989 Black with Ruby Pearl (206) MA-70 3.0 GT Limited (JDM Model).

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Engine: 7M-GTE with: TRD Magnesium sump, TRD oil pump, JE Pistons, ARP fasteners, HKS 2mm MHG, HKS 264/8.1 camshafts, HKS Cam Gears, TRD valve springs, TRD Group A ignition leads. HKS oil cooler kit and remote mounted filter. YSR engine mounts. HKS cast exhaust manifold and HKS 40mm gate. PWR direct fit aluminum radiator.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Induction: Garrett GT35R turbocharger, modified with larger comp wheel (from a T-66) and custom machined anti-surge compressor cover. Trust MA-70 intercooler, Group A 65mm throttle body and machined standard inlet manifold to match, HKS 300 replacement pipe, custom stainless intercooler piping, HKS pod filter and stainless turbo intake pipe. HKS racing type II BOV.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Electronics: Motec M-800, Bosch 3 channel ignitor, Apexi AVC-R

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Fuel: Single Bosch in-tank fuel pump in stock location, Trust 720cc injectors

Exhaust: FGK 3 inch system with stainless muffler. Custom stainless turbine outlet with waste-gate outlet plumbed in. Hi flow 3 inch cat.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Suspension: HKS Coilovers, Cusco front strut brace, Cusco carbon fiber rear strut brace, JIC front lower arm brace, ARC sway bars with ARC end links, adjustable rear camber arms and toe control arms with rose joints.

Brakes: AP Lockheed slotted rotors front and rear, Endless NA-S pads front and rear. Cusco master cylinder brace

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Interior: Factory Grey Leather. JZA70R Momo Shift knob and Momo Steering wheel. Factory JDM 5 piece interior mat set. HKS glove-box replacement gauge holder. HKS electronic gauges, EGT, Water Temp, Oil Temp, EGT, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure.

Sound: Pioneer 2 Din head unit, Alpine amp, Polk and Alpine speakers, JK audio 10 inch sub

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Body: Color coded protector strips, genuine Toyota Turbo A duct on front bumper, Euro half clear indicator/parkers, USDM side repeater indicators, TRD badge on grille. JDM vented front lip and brake cooling ducts

Wheels: Work Rezax 18*8 and 18*9 with 235/40 and 265/35 tyres.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Additional Info: Other modifications include a power steering cooler in the nose of the car and braided lines with speedflow fittings for the power steering system, PCV setup, ISC valve lines and lines to turbo. A lot of detail work to the motor including the obligatory polishing, ceramic coating and replacing many bolts with hex screws.

Drivetrain: Cs short shifter, OS Giken twin plate clutch and Cusco 1.5 way Mechanical LSD, custom 2 piece driveshaft.

The car is a private import from Japan, and is a rare factory 5 speed aerotop, the GT Limited was the top of the line model and most were auto.

To date car has made 540rwhp on a dyno-dynamics dyno.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

A Brief bit about your journey in owning your supra AND why you deserve ROTM:

I took delivery of my Supra on Christmas Eve 2001 after spending a year looking for the right car ( I am a little fussy but also very patient!). I had been collecting a few parts prior so the plan was to just drive it around whilst doing a few bits and pieces then rebuild it when the HG let go with the supporting mods to allow 20psi on a modded CT-26. This all went well but then I wanted more power and slowly over the last 3 or so years I have upgrade the turbo, tinkered with piggy backs, installed the current intercooler and then the MOTEC. These last 2 steps were a quantum leap and the last power mod was the larger comp wheel in the turbo. I had tokicos in it prior but with the new power levels suddenly they were not up to scratch so hence the HKS coil overs.

I think my car is not excessive in any area, its clean and subtle (I think Toyota got the styling just right so I left the body alone) and on initial inspection its just an MA-70 with a set of 18s on it. Its only when you look closer you see all the little details. Being the JDM model has a coolness factor to it, and I have used a lot of rare parts for it both aftermarket and from other variants of the A-70 to provide a little individuality. Whilst the motor has had the most work, every other aspect of the car has received attention and not been neglected, from suspension, brakes, interior and exterior detail so its an all-round tasteful package IMHO. A lot of attention has been paid to detail and aesthetics including things such as the shape of the intercooler pipes so that there is not just a cheap looking straight pipe over the motor.

I have stuck to a theme of keeping parts I used from the same era as the car, such as the Stereo head unit, wheels, gauges and under bonnet setup (e.g. standard intake manifold and old style HKS cam gears). The main exceptions are the ECU and turbo, as technology in these areas has progressed so far and it would have been a compromise the car to remain faithful to the ear of the car.

A friend described my car as subtle, classy yet TUFF. I chose to agree J An Aussie needs to win ROTM J

Dan

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
WOW!!!!!!!!!! I don't know how I've missed this car on here. This is an absolute beautiful example of clean MKIII................:love:

You sir are FTW............:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I can't find one thing about this car that I would change, except for maybe the owners..........;)

The1

Too poor to be here..:(
May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
This car is righteous..lol. I've been reading the build thread for months now and to see it come together is sweet. Congrats...

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
All I can say is wow and congrats on ROTM. This is such a great example of a clean car with many rare and unique parts. Keep up the amazing work and I cannot wait to see what goes into this car in the future.

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Hi everyone

just looked at this section now, and OMG just realised I won ROTM lol

Cheers for all the props.

There are some things happening in the near future, complete repaint with alot of bits and pieces replaced with new and motor work. Lots of little detail work etc will be getting done, car will pretty much look the same just fresher I guess. So, the build thread will be getting more active again in the coming months.

Cheers again from down under :biglaugh: