Roommate Starting to Dislike Me - My Supra is too Loud

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
Ok, so I finally got my Driftmotion downpipe and installed it about a month ago. I'm running open downpipe and my Supra is DAMN LOUD (I love it!). However, my roommate has sleeping problems and when ever I get back from a "spirited" drive late at night (say 1am) I wake him up as I'm backing up into the garage (revving to engage the clutch). This past Friday he couldn't go back to sleep for 3 hours after I came back home at 1am. He's also saying that my car is probably pissing the neighbors off as well. Now he wants me to quiet my car down...but I don't want to; I like LOUD!

So I've came to the conclusion of two options:
(1) Get a CAT as well as a vibrant flat black muffler and combo that with a BIC performance divorced downpipe (quiet at low rpms and DAMN LOUD at full boost); this is the compromise option. Or...
(2) F**k everything else and get a BIC performance divorced downpipe along with a straight pipe exhaust (no CATs) and 264 BC cams.

What do you guys thing I should do? What would you do?

Last edited:

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Put in a quiet exhaust (cheapest you can find) and instal an electronic cutout in place of the cat, then just close the cutout when your comin home or driving someplace you wanna stay quiet, leave it open rest of the time

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Driftmotion catback and electric cutout. Drive around with the silencer in til you're ready to have fun.

It's what I'm going to do. The less noise you make, the less attention you draw.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
As quiet as I could make it with two performance mufflers and a new cat, but with a cutout.

[video=youtube;IHv5Ve8Btr8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHv5Ve8Btr8[/video]

mk3supralove

Sep 14, 2012
Kelowna
You could just fab a resonator in or a twin pass muffler, both help a lot with at idle and low rpm.

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk 2

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
I have a BIC divorced downpipe and a vibrant muffler. Its reasonably quiet out of boost but screams when you get on it...

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Tanabe Medalion touring cat-back and divorced downpipe.
Quiet when not in boost and screams when boost kicks.

1James

Lurker
Mar 19, 2009
Bay Area, CA
kotu100;1999743 said:
Tanabe Medalion touring cat-back and divorced downpipe.
Quiet when not in boost and screams when boost kicks.

This has worked out quite well for me in California, though my ddp recirculates.

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
mk3supralove;1999714 said:
You could just fab a resonator in or a twin pass muffler, both help a lot with at idle and low rpm.

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk 2
Oh man, do you have any videos demonstrations of that?? Cause thats the combination exhaust I'm thinking of getting.

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
Supra mn;1999696 said:
Get a Driftmotion "cat-back." Comes with a silencer that makes it plenty quiet. Take it out and its loud as hell at WOT.
Thats another option actually; Driftmotion exhaust combination BIC performance ddp. I've seen some pictures of the one you have on a thread in Supraforums (pictures were taken by a lake or something). But yea, I'm really thinking of a Driftmotion exhaust as well! So many good options; I want to be able to swap exhaust systems when I want loud or quiet. Lol

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
Roommate or not.. noise gets tickets.. I'm changing to a near stock muffler with 2.5 inch pipe after a electric cut out off of a 3 inch dp

Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Whatever exhaust you go with it will sound nice (its a supra afterall)

Put yourself in the roommates situation. I would hate being woke up at 1am if i had to work the next day

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I find drift motion exhaust to be a nice medium.. it's decently quiet when you need it to be, and decently loud when you want it to be. Also comes with a silencer for when you come home at 1am. Personally, I hate LOUD cars.. there's no point to it...

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
Unfortunately, my roommate is already thinking about moving out now; he showed someone else his room and the rest of the house. He found another place about two blocks away. 90% chance his moving....for sure.

Plus, I got pulled over last night; the cop didn't give me a ticket but he gave me a warning telling me I have to put a muffler on asap.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
I have a 2.5" exhaust with a Vibrant Streetpower muffler on my 1jz. No cat. Couldn't be happier with it. Very quiet at idle and driving around town. Almost stock sounding. Incredible for a straight through, zero restriction exhaust. Get into boost and it sounds great and gets pretty loud!

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
jake8790;2000675 said:
I have a 2.5" exhaust with a Vibrant Streetpower muffler on my 1jz. No cat. Couldn't be happier with it. Very quiet at idle and driving around town. Almost stock sounding. Incredible for a straight through, zero restriction exhaust. Get into boost and it sounds great and gets pretty loud!
Do you have any videos of that exhaust on your supra? I was thinking about a Vibrant muffler as well.