Rolling stop shut of engine, more problems 2/7/09

LordChase

Boost Lover
Dec 11, 2006
Greenwell Springs, LA
I have noticed the past couple days that my car has been shutting off if i take the car out of gear and use the brake to slow down. i would say i was 30 mph before i put it in neutral any ideas on what this could be or what could cause this its. if i downshift to slow down it does fine. Any help appreciated no clue as to what to do to fix it or where to start looking at.

New Problems start on page 3!!

Last edited:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Start by checking your Diagnostic Trouble Codes. That should always be the first step.

Other than that, assuming you have no stored codes, check for vacuum leaks, boost leaks, etc...

LordChase

Boost Lover
Dec 11, 2006
Greenwell Springs, LA
code 51 for my TPS pops up, could have something to do with it? if i remember correctly i turned my idle up too ~900 due to the same problem, just now started reoccuring. what is a Dashpot?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
FatalStylez;1236628 said:
That happened to me and it turned out my idle was too low so I adjusted it up to 800 it was at 500

idle is controlled by the ecu...you shouldnt be going and turning screws....sounds like you hid the problem instead of fixing it.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Vacuum leaks:
PVC Hoses
EGR Valve
Intake Manifold
Air Intake Chamber
Throttle Body
ISC Valve
Pulling in air between air flow meter and throttle body.
Incorrect idle speed
Incorrect ignition timing​

Ignition problems:
Ignition Coils
Igniter
Cam Position Sensor
Spark plug wires
Spark plugs

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
LordChase;1236642 said:
code 51 for my TPS pops up, could have something to do with it? if i remember correctly i turned my idle up too ~900 due to the same problem, just now started reoccuring. what is a Dashpot?

you need to fix that code 51, which I think is the knock sensor. It's probably the wiring.

someone here sells a rewire kit, I just can't remember who.

I'm sure someone will chime in though.

LordChase

Boost Lover
Dec 11, 2006
Greenwell Springs, LA
could a Bad TPS cause that? i am not sure what that means exactly. And thanks for input guys good to have support for problems when your not too good with these things XD. also what all do i have to do to replace the TPS? ive herd u have to retime the car : / or can i just calibrate it somehow and swap it out?

Last edited:

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Yes, the TPS has two parts to it - The major part is the Throttle Position Sensor itself.

The minor part is simply a contact that when you close the throttle completely, tells the ECU that the throttle is totally shut. That'll cause your idle to have problems ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I'll second the comment about adjusting idle as there isn't any way to do it properly (idle is controlled through the idle control, not the throttlebody)

Adjusting the TPS is easy, but you need to remove the throttlebody (clean it while it's off) and follow the TSRM on how to do it...