Road racing on the track w/o a thermostat

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
In order for my car to dominate the race, I need every ounce of torque, so I run it between 3500 to 6500RPM. During a twenty minute period I begin to see the coolant temp rise to near the red line, so I need to short shift to cool it off a little, but it is usually not capable of getting back into it as there is usually only two laps to go. My question is might we see lower temps after we ditch the thermostat?
Mods are: Koyo Race radiator, 14 LBS radiator cap, 7qt motor oil sump, 1qt oil cooler

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Do you still have the undercover? I believe this makes a difference with airflow through the radiator, but I'm not certain.
-AM3

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
You may actually see higher temps without the thermostat, since the coolant won't be spending enough time in the radiator to shed heat. That might also be the problem that it's having once things get hot.

Make sure that the radiator is getting the airflow that it needs, and that you're not needlessly keeping heat under the hood. The undercover DOES help force air through the radiator, as does the fan shroud.

Mikael_7m

Built 7M
Apr 26, 2009
Australia
Dan_Gyoba;1948172 said:
You may actually see higher temps without the thermostat, since the coolant won't be spending enough time in the radiator to shed heat. That might also be the problem that it's having once things get hot.

Pretty sure his water temp on track will be over ~190 Fahrenheit so the thermostat will be open the whole time anyway...

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Do you have all the air dams and such?

Have you thought of hooking up sprayers directed at the radiator? Something to spray a mist of water onto the front of the radiator might help cool it.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Another MkIII;1948168 said:
Do you still have the undercover? I believe this makes a difference with airflow through the radiator, but I'm not certain.
-AM3
Yes I do have the under covers on the car...

Dan_Gyoba;1948172 said:
It was suggested at the track that the car be fitted w/a 16 Lbs radiator cap...

Make sure that the radiator is getting the airflow that it needs, and that you're not needlessly keeping heat under the hood. The undercover DOES help force air through the radiator, as does the fan shroud.
I also run a fan shroud and have a 2800 CFM fan fitted through a thermostat (190 degree) and relay. It was suggested that the car not have a fan and shroud when running on the track, as it isn't needed...

ATL88Supra;1948176 said:
what fans do you have? also if you are hitting the redline on the water temps you are boiling over and losing water
Got close to 220 degrees all day long... Didn't boil over, but the car was driven at under 90 MPH in 5th to cool it down...

gsxr141;1948221 said:
try adding some "redline water wetter". it helps lower the temp.
Some at the track also don't use anything else; that and water...

Mikael_7m;1948228 said:
Pretty sure his water temp on track will be over ~190 Fahrenheit so the thermostat will be open the whole time anyway...
Yes just below 220 all day... On Auto Meter gauge

IndigoMKII;1948229 said:
Do you have all the air dams and such?
Yes

Have you thought of hooking up sprayers directed at the radiator? Something to spray a mist of water onto the front of the radiator might help cool it.
Never thought to do that. I'm going to hook up the 1 Gal surge tank to the Koyo Race radiator, put on the 16 Lbs radiator cap and see what happens...

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
On a track, where you're spending lots of time at high RPM.... You're probably cavitating the water pump and not getting the flow you need. Paging IJ...

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
IJ added an electric water pump to supplement the factory mechanical one at low and high engine rpms. It was a tight fit, but he said it improved his cooling all around. iirc, the mechanical pump starts to cavitate around 6-7krpm, and he spun his to 8000.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
A track has nothing to do with a fan shroud. The shroud is used to pull air across the entire radiator core for more cooling. Removing the shroud reduces cooling capacity. The thermostat is not wide open at 190. The temperature rating for any thermostat is when it starts to open. 190 degree thermostat starts to open at....190 degrees. The long block of the 7M causes problems to the rear of the block with coolant flow. The coolant cavitates on a 7M, even a stock Cressida.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So, would an increase in water pump pulley diameter help in lowering the rotation speed of an oem pump, in order to keep it out of high rpm caviation(in a racing situation)?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Another MkIII;1948168 said:
-AM3

It develops low pressure behind the radiator, forcing air through it rather than around the nose of the car.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If the pulley is under driven, then yes, the speed of the impeller will slow down. I would be more concerned with volume of coolant making it to the rear.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Also looking at your build thread, you have the oil cooler between the radiator and intercooler. Could be blocking flow there. Also looks like you have a stock intercooler (forgot what power you're running or boost levels, but that might be an issue here too).

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Nick M;1948564 said:
If the pulley is under driven, then yes, the speed of the impeller will slow down. I would be more concerned with volume of coolant making it to the rear.
There is just so much to digest here! I even started reading more about this subject online. Whew!
What can I say... Start messing with the stock set-up and here I am, lost in too much information.
I also got confused reading this: http://www.arrowheadradiator.com/14...apability_in_high-performance_automobiles.htm
OfnaRcR4;1948582 said:
Do you have your fans on while you are racing? When at speed it can actually hinder flow. Try a stock fan.
I was told to take off the fan and shroud after I get to the track, or trailer it in... I rather not have to do either, but I may try their and your suggestion to see what results from it.

Poodles;1948678 said:
Also looking at your build thread, you have the oil cooler between the radiator and intercooler. Could be blocking flow there. Also looks like you have a stock intercooler (forgot what power you're running or boost levels, but that might be an issue here too).
It is a stock intercooler. The car makes 280hp/288tq at the wheels, on 13 psi, stock CT 26, BIC DDP and the Blitz dual SBC is set between 10-11psi. I don't know what the wheel Hp/Tq actually was on the track.

Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Poodles,
You and "bloodasp" both say that the placement of the oil cooler is an obstruction. I agree and will consult with my buddy at VIP Performance to get suggestions for alternative placement or different oil cooler.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Keep in mind the Turbo-A ran the oil cooler behind the crash bar and it had cutouts and a vent in front to get air to it :)

Can also run the oil cooler on the sides where the fog lights go (if you have them removed).