Road racing on the track w/o a thermostat

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
IIRC the pressure drop across the RX-7 cooler might not support full flow.

Also, a water cooler oil cooler just changes the cooling load to the main cooling system instead of using the ambient air. They're awesome because they don't require another t-stat in the system, but they also have a weakness of putting more load on the cooling system.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Zumtizzle;1949417 said:
Full flow + RX7 is fine. ;)
I'm planning on it.
One item I forgot to add in this thread is, I pulled the oil cooler, spring and plunger out of the stock oil filter mount so now the oil pressure is maintained behind the thermo pellet in the RX-7 oil cooler. Those numbers are between 43-45 psi, under load, from between 3500-6500 RPM, in second through fourth gear.

Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
This is the Oil Cooler kit I'm looking at to help keep the engine cooler: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/10990/OilCoolerKits Oil Cooler Kit.jpg
It would be mounted in the space behind the driver's side fog light, with air guide, neoprene ducting and an oil cooler duct, to assure all the air gets to the cooler. The steel plate at the back of the space, would be modified to mount the cooler as a frame and the wheel well liner, modified to let out the warm air.

TaylorRacing

Jun 1, 2011
San Diego
when switching your oil cooler system to "full flow" how big of a cooler to you need? with or without fan? and where does your return line go to the banjo fitting on the pan or the in on the oil filter plate?

I'm running a CBR sealed radiator 31”X19”X3” with twin 14'' spal fans. i'm hoping to rid my 7m of its notorious heat issues so any info for the oil cooler would be much appreciated! Sorry for the little thread jack

-Mike

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
I can't give you an authoritative answer, as I'm still learning how to gauge those items myself. I think you're correct in saying the return line gets connected to the "IN" on the sandwich plate.
Can we get some direction please, with regard to sizing an oil cooler and the routing of the hoses?
Thanks!