Ridiculous 1000HP 7M Street MK3 Build

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
Ok so im kinda pissed right now since I bought a different clutch and so I wasted my money on the os giken. The os giken clutch I have is only worn about 35% which means its got alot of life left in it and its probably fine to just throw into the motor but I am going this far with the car and so do I really want to take a chance with the clutch after the motor is together? So I decided ok, I should get it rebuilt. I called OS Giken and they want $1400 for their rebuild kit (clutch discs, friction discs, pressure plate & bolts) which I guess is reasonable but then again this is for a old heavy triple plate so do I want to throw more money into old technology only to probably throw another $1400 into a year later once I beat the clutch up?? So I decided to ditch the heavy OS Giken and contacted Wes at beech performance to see if I can go with his triple plate and it will take 4-5 weeks. I don't really feel like waiting that long since I planned to assemble my motor in Dec and start fitting things in Jan/Feb and get it running sometime in Feb. This is FL and I really don't want to be working on the car in the summer so this is why putting me back 5 weeks is too long. So what a coincidence...shane "need new tires" is selling a beech performance twin plate with low miles on it. So I decided to buy this clutch. My os giken is now a sexy paper weight! If anyone wants it...its in good shape still. I even cleaned it and fitted new bolts. Shoot me an offer.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
I was looking at that clutch as well but just don't trust it

flex plates are ment to flex under power (henc the name) this is fine if you have torq converter which is engages into the transmission oil pump drives and what not so it's held in place fairly well

I have scene more then one cracked flex plate to steer me away (I like my leg's)

granted if it was performance flex plate from b&m wich are thicker them oem counterparts I might trust it but they don't make them for the supra

remember this flex plat was made for 260 foot pounds of torq

Just food for thought high rpm lots or power can do really bad things

ps I know the corvette has similar clutch but it was made to be that way

If it bolt's though the fiction plate then the flex it may be ok but still don't trust (I want a approved sticker)

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
NashMan;1977538 said:
I was looking at that clutch as well but just don't trust it

flex plates are ment to flex under power (henc the name) this is fine if you have torq converter which is engages into the transmission oil pump drives and what not so it's held in place fairly well

I have scene more then one cracked flex plate to steer me away (I like my leg's)

granted if it was performance flex plate from b&m wich are thicker them oem counterparts I might trust it but they don't make them for the supra

remember this flex plat was made for 260 foot pounds of torq

Just food for thought high rpm lots or power can do really bad things

ps I know the corvette has similar clutch but it was made to be that way

If it bolt's though the fiction plate then the flex it may be ok but still don't trust (I want a approved sticker)

You do realize the flex plate is used only for starter engagement? Other than that its pretty much dead weight. The plate doesnt get used under power at all...so the term flex plate is thrown out the window. The flywheel that bolts through the flex plate takes all the abuse. It's a very good and light weight design. I dont really care about paying twice as much just for a sticker. It will be a street car.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Ya did not read my post fully if I typed it right lol
off road no questions asked if shit will fail. "street means approved by white lab coat people"

granted ya took my advice on the osg but still

I like shit approved when it comes to big things such at this

I was going to make a clutch similar to this but i don't wanna suffer the convictions of a falt issue if it could happen

if ya run it get is balanced plz

thats why i wonte run spec tiwn or tripple clutches they have an issue

I am not harping on you just shit can go south and walking is a nice thing to do

hell throw a blanket on it that's what i was thinking when I first saw the add

ps I did order the crank girdle it nicely made i find there is no need for billet mains with it

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2005
Florida
Not sure why you think the beech performance quartermaster clutch is going to come apart. The flex plate is dead weight and has much less stress on it than it would with a torque converted bolted to it. The only custom bit is the flywheel the rest is high quality quartermaster / tilton parts. It's not going to fly apart. Plenty of people beat up quartermaster stuff on drag strips without them blowing up. It's good technology.

Its not that I took your advice on the os giken. The os giken triple/quad is basically one of the best street AND full race clutches on the planet. Its a solid clutch and its durable as hell. I wanted to use it but I feel that the rebuild kit is kinda pricey being it's such a heavy clutch. I'd rather dump money into something newer and lighter. Hell just incase I dont like the quartermaster I might just hang onto the os giken and get it rebuilt.

The twin disc spec clutch seems like a nice unit actually and I was considering it. The only thing that really worries me is their hydraulic slave bearing. Spec is obviously new to the slave cylinder business. They seemed to have fixed it but I didn't want to chance it. You could always replace it with a quartermaster or tilton slave and you would have a decent clutch.

So, which clutch are you going with then if you don't like quartermaster, spec or os giken?

As far as the crank girdle goes...im thinking of just going with only the pro gram billet mains but ill decide when I do final assembly. The billet mains are a little heavier and wider and have a better stud fitment I found. Also I feel more comfortable with billet mains taking the 90 ft lb of torque with arp studs. I have a couple 7M blocks where the threads on the bolts/studs rub on one or two of the stock main caps and have to at least be opened up.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
They should not rub mine didn't but I had my block fully checked over I just wana keep my crank from moven back and forth and haven odd barring ware. I can't see billets helping much or be worth the money as of yet. granted I have been thinking on running them but I could spend the money on some thing els.

tieing the caps all together will help out alot more I figure (just like a rocker arm girdle)

the only reason why I don't want a spec clutch is cause it still uses bands I rather have basket clutch band snaps from bad miss shift and I really don't want that to ever happen to me

there some pic's floating around from bands breaking and some torn up trans tunnel's on sm here and supra forums

basically if I loose my legs I want to sue the liven shit out of them and roll around like stump (since i have no legs) in money and then hire some scientist to make me better robot legs that can make me jumper higher hen super man

osq has light weight clutch's they just don't make them for the 7mgte "sniff sniff" wish they did thou

I currently have a feramick 6 puck and hd act pressure plate with a light weight xtd chromoly flywheel that is balanced to 10,000 rpm so far it's taken every thing I have thrown at it even a set of slicks at 585 and 540 torq
so I am going to keep it for abit and replace it when it slips or dies a horrid slipping death or tell some thing pops up that say's BUY ME NOW

a side note it just hit me when they go to balance this thing witch should be checked were do they take the meat from or add
I know with my xtd they ground off some material off the fly wheel and left my clutch cover alone.

I think of it as adding wheel weight to a car rim when blanceing, adding weight on the lip of the rim uses less weight and if you were to add them in the barrel of the rim you use alot more weight

hummmm

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
I agree if it aint broke don't fix it.

Billet mains are not necessary they just provide extra insurance. They are made out of denser and harder steel so in theory they add rigidity to the block and the main caps themselves just like a girdle does..

Spec twin plate has 5 straps. The clutches that have failures have 2 straps. That is why I say the only thing bad about the spec is the slave cylinder.

I believe the new Os Giken RC3 clutches are as light as osg makes em. They use aluminum cover plate. They are also $2900.

In other news, got my melting stick. So far the arc starts nicely and I made a huge crater in a 1/2 thick steel rod on only 110volts and no argon gas O_O. Should get argon next week so I can really test this thing out. Also the pedal seems to be quite smooth and I like the torch. Everything seems to be built very well.

ws6e.jpg

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
NegativeGeForce;1977693 said:
I agree if it aint broke don't fix it.

Billet mains are not necessary they just provide extra insurance. They are made out of denser and harder steel so in theory they add rigidity to the block and the main caps themselves just like a girdle does..

Spec twin plate has 5 straps. The clutches that have failures have 2 straps. That is why I say the only thing bad about the spec is the slave cylinder.

I believe the new Os Giken RC3 clutches are as light as osg makes em. They use aluminum cover plate. They are also $2900.

In other news, got my melting stick. So far the arc starts nicely and I made a huge crater in a 1/2 thick steel rod on only 110volts and no argon gas O_O. Should get argon next week so I can really test this thing out. Also the pedal seems to be quite smooth and I like the torch. Everything seems to be built very well.

ws6e.jpg

not the fly wheel according to there web site

my act has 3 and is far lighter

I just don' trust strap's

is your tool box in your kitchen lol

I just got a lincoln precision tig 225 I bloody love it so much more fun then mig just hole lot slower and the toch get hot as mofo when welding 1/4 thick plate

if ya oxy welded befor like me you be right at home

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
NashMan;1977695 said:
is your tool box in your kitchen lol

I just got a lincoln precision tig 225 I bloody love it so much more fun then mig just hole lot slower and the toch get hot as mofo when welding 1/4 thick plate

if ya oxy welded befor like me you be right at home

Lol, no the door to the garage was open so thats why you see the toolbox.

Yeah I love tig. I tried a couple machines and coming from mig welding it's soo much more enjoyable and the welds look soo much more impressive.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
ya I have now found my favorite tungsten's to use and what not

even got a 10 sized gas lens for them tigh spot's

I run 3/32 and 1 1/6

but most of the time I run 1 1/6

but right now I am making a trailor hitch for my truck so 3/32 is what I am useing and bloody hell it get's hot makes me wana have liquid cooled torch since i have to do so many pass's when making this trailor hitch

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
Did some black friday shopping. Got a new welding cart, 80 cu ft argon tank, auto darkening helmet, bench grinder, horizontal/vertical band saw. Made torque plate spacers from DOM tubing. The harbor freight band saw is pretty awesome for only $180 that I paid. Cuts are really square. Should be useful when I cut exhaust/intercooler pipe.

One step closer!

edy1.jpg

dy97.jpg

9oq5.jpg

j527.jpg

ac4m.jpg

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
Yea I try to stay away from harbor freight but they do have some decent stuff. Its all about how you use it. Ive had good luck with their tools.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Some harbor freight tools are re_branded blemished industrial tools so there is a chance you could get a really good tool :p also you can't beat the "smash it for a new one" warranty

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
there saying speed was not evolved or racing

may I ask how do you run over 4 trees and knock phone pole over hummmmm

oh ya about you hellmet what shade does it go down too???

I had to go buy a new helm just cause the auto darking was to high at 9 could not see what I was doing plus the old one had only 2 light pickups the new one has 4 so it's pretty hard to get flashed

so now I have mig helm and tig hlem

I weld stainless tubing at about 6 to 7

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
ws6e.jpg

^no door or jam/frame

d9ps.jpg

did you make your kitchen a walk-out to the garage? if so = awesome...

I personally always wanted a glass showroom like wall, to partition the house, or even a window into the next room

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
Lol, nah there is still a door there between the garage and kitchen.

Spent about 4hrs today modifying 7M valve covers. First real project with a tig welder. Luckily im better with a grinder than a welder.

I'm using harbor freight welding helmet set at about 10. It works really well. The lens darkens as the high frequency starts so basically It darkens well before the arc can even initiate.

g8qr.jpg

bv8s.jpg

8d94.jpg

q3np.jpg