Rhd

FLMK3SUPRA

MK3forLIFE
Feb 17, 2008
Riverview, FL
After staying in Okinawa, JP for 3 years RHDriving was fun cause of the R32 I was driving. That was built to 500HP it was fun more than anything. I hated having to leave and getting rid of the car. For the price and hassle of converting and registering that car, I'd just drive a LHD. But if you have the money and time have at it. Whatever you choose too do Good Luck.

neverbeencaught

Jan 1, 2009
athens, tn
www.myspace.com
neverbeencaught;1222111 said:
Does anyone have a clue where to get a fairly good condition RHD shell. Or I guess if need be I could do a complete conversion, but that would cost alot.

I said I could do a conversion, but it would be too much money. My original question was over a RHD shell, not hte conversion. I would much rather just buy RHD supra than make one my self.

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Is a RHD supra even going to be legal where you live? Can you get insurance?

Everything about a RHD car is designed for driving on the left-hand side of the road. Just to get started:

-Seating position (duh)
-Mirrors
-Headlights

The seating position will introduce huge blind spots where you really need to be able to see (and have fun parallel parking). The mirrors will show things at distances you aren’t used to and the headlights will deprive you of lighting while blinding the oncoming traffic.

On the plus side, you can change your starter motor from the top. Although it is still pretty difficult.

Oh, and for the guy that cars with 30-70 thousand km can be 'easily purchased' - where are they coming from? Japan? Elsewhere in Asia? Australia? New Zealand? If yes I've got some bad news for you - cars with those km's simply do not exist. Cars from all those places travel similar distances over their lifetime. Import companies bringing cars from Japan to Australia (where I live) wind back the odometers and try to tell us Japanese people don't drive very much. This is just nonsense, they drive just as much as you and I do. My car is VERY clean, EVERYTHING works, steering wheel is not worn, pedals are not worn - car has done 260 thousand km, I have the logbooks. Something to think about.

Unless this is a track-only car, it would be cheaper and easier just to learn how to drive your existing car better. Most of the world is left-hand drive anyway, and it seems to be working well enough for them...

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
LOL, Athens TN. GO TRIBE!

To let you know, TN does not title RHD vehicles if they were originally LHD. Once a State Trooper sees you driving a RHD vehicle with TN tags it's going to set off the red flag, and if he figures it out (which isn't hard), you're busted and your tags get taken. This is coming from a relative that works in the Loudon registration office. Not worth it.

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
DeSloth;1222763 said:
Oh, and for the guy that cars with 30-70 thousand km can be 'easily purchased' - where are they coming from? Japan? Elsewhere in Asia? Australia? New Zealand? If yes I've got some bad news for you - cars with those km's simply do not exist. Cars from all those places travel similar distances over their lifetime. Import companies bringing cars from Japan to Australia (where I live) wind back the odometers and try to tell us Japanese people don't drive very much. This is just nonsense, they drive just as much as you and I do. My car is VERY clean, EVERYTHING works, steering wheel is not worn, pedals are not worn - car has done 260 thousand km, I have the logbooks. Something to think about.

Unless this is a track-only car, it would be cheaper and easier just to learn how to drive your existing car better. Most of the world is left-hand drive anyway, and it seems to be working well enough for them...

Your kidding right? Several of us in Canada have important low mileage (30-70km) supras, soarers, aristos, etc for around that price range in immaculate condition...Including I

We import them directly from Japan

Albeit, more difficult to find then higher mileage cars (100+km) but if you do look around you come across quite a few gems

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
sweetlikechutny;1223131 said:
Your kidding right? Several of us in Canada have important low mileage (30-70km) supras, soarers, aristos, etc for around that price range in immaculate condition...Including I

We import them directly from Japan

You did read *everything* I typed above, right? ;)

Does your car have its books or service history? Got any pretty stickers on your timing belt cover? :sarcasm:

Not trying to have a shot at you, but just don't want to see anyone get stung because they think every Japanese car is an incredible low km white unicorn. Unfortunately these cars wear very well and importers can exploit this fact.

A 20 year old car which has only done 70,000 km is averaging a meager 3500 km a year. This is unlikely. I catch public transport every day and still travel approx 5000 km a year in my supra. This is on weekends and just running about doing chores etc.

I don't want to get into some silly interweb argument, but just want to point out that an A70 with only 30,000 genuine logbooked km, while possible, would be incredibly rare - and worth a LOT of money in the countries I have already mentioned (RHD ones). I also find it difficult to believe someone would buy a supra (or Aristo / Soarer / performance / luxury car) and only average 1500km per year. That is only 3 tanks of fuel! 4km average per day...

There are plenty of good condition (and new) parts available in Japan to get these cars into excellent condition. Km traveled is only part of the story, but odometer tampering / swapping DOES happen on cars coming into Australia.

In Summary - Don't put too much faith in what the dashboard says. :)

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
adampecush;1222687 said:
A guy I knew in australia drove a saab, which actually had the turn signals on the left side of the wheel! And it was a standard!! That blew my mind...imagine a car over here having the signal stalk on the right side of the wheel....how the hell would you shift and signal at the same time?

I was thinking about putting the LHD signals/wipers on it. Then I decided that would be "lazy" when I could just learn, and get used to it.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
hottscennessey;1223191 said:
I was thinking about putting the LHD signals/wipers on it. Then I decided that would be "lazy" when I could just learn, and get used to it.

After hitting the wipers a few times before making lane changes or turning corners, you get the hang of it. I suppose it could be difficult constantly changing between RHD and LHD though...When I got back to driving a LHD vehicle after being overseas, I had to re-learn which was the wiper and which was the signal...

EthanMKIII

Nov 5, 2008
Vancouver
DeSloth;1223172 said:

Does your car have its books or service history? Got any pretty stickers on your timing belt cover? :sarcasm:

Not trying to have a shot at you, but just don't want to see anyone get stung because they think every Japanese car is an incredible low km white unicorn. Unfortunately these cars wear very well and importers can exploit this fact.

A 20 year old car which has only done 70,000 km is averaging a meager 3500 km a year. This is unlikely. I catch public transport every day and still travel approx 5000 km a year in my supra. This is on weekends and just running about doing chores etc.

I don't want to get into some silly interweb argument, but just want to point out that an A70 with only 30,000 genuine logbooked km, while possible, would be incredibly rare - and worth a LOT of money in the countries I have already mentioned (RHD ones). I also find it difficult to believe someone would buy a supra (or Aristo / Soarer / performance / luxury car) and only average 1500km per year. That is only 3 tanks of fuel! 4km average per day...

There are plenty of good condition (and new) parts available in Japan to get these cars into excellent condition. Km traveled is only part of the story, but odometer tampering / swapping DOES happen on cars coming into Australia.

Dude think about it lol Where are they going to drive there cars? Japan in a small ass island smaller than florida with a butt load of people and for most its faster to ride a bike than drive to work. Gas isn't cheap ethier u think the states is bad go check out asian or europe lol. Also remember in Japan cars are a fuck load cheaper than they are here so every 5 or so years they just buy a new one since the technology is getting better and better and is quickly out dated. For the record very few cars actually have 50,000 most have around a 100,000km so thats about 60,000miles. I've seen a few soaras with 3X,xxx but never a supra. Look for yourself man http://www.tyeeimports.com/results2.asp

Lastly what do u think happens to teenagers that are caught racing there cars? Look it up it isn't jail time its much worst.

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
DeSloth;1223172 said:

yes my Soarer does have the service book records, and all the pretty stickers... :)

I did not say every RHD was great, I said it is possible to find a great low mileage car for a low price, if you look around, it should not be too hard.

I have seen many garbage cars imported into Canada as well, but I have seen MANY great examples..