reviews on knock-off turbo xs rfl bov

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
^re read the thread its about knock off's not the real deal. all fake bov's and waste gate's suck period./

veedubin

Official SM Decals
Fletch124;1483191 said:
The real RFLs start leaking at ~13psi. A friend had one on his VW and it leaked at 10psi. There garbage.

That's what the washers/shims are for. A prior customer of mine was running average of 15psi daily on a 2G Eclipse with a real deal RFL and no issues. Now the knock offs........ I helped SR swap a freinds S14 and he used the ebay RFL...... i swear to god no amount of shims would make it stay closed. I can honestly say they do suck.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
hvyman;1483256 said:
^re read the thread its about knock off's not the real deal. all fake bov's and waste gate's suck period./

Anything to back up that statement? Many people are using knock off equipment without issues. My knock off HKS wastegate from Driftmotion is working very well for me.

IMO you have to be crazy to pay 200+ For such a simple device. Especially something that is mass produced and not "One off".

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
The best BOV I have used, that was cheap, is the Driftmotion Greddy knock-offs for $60. It sounds great, looks good, and I never had any problems. That thing is still rocking today on soundslikesemi's car, iirc. I plan on getting another one. My favorite so far! As for the knock off HKS SSQV, DO NOT BUY IT. That one truly sucks too.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
nosechunks;1494779 said:
Anything to back up that statement? Many people are using knock off equipment without issues. My knock off HKS wastegate from Driftmotion is working very well for me.

IMO you have to be crazy to pay 200+ For such a simple device. Especially something that is mass produced and not "One off".
Although he might not have proof of that statement. I've seen numerous threads where people complain about how their bov sticks, blows up their expensive turbo. Or ones where their wastegate sticks, over boost their motor, goes lean, and pops it.

The real wastegates' diaphram is made out of material that can sustain the heat levels better. The HKS diaphram is around $100 alone.

If you take it to a object such as a 3/8 rachet.... I could go to meijers, big lots etc. get one for dirt cheap, will it work? of course. Will it last? doubtful. Now say a snap on, s&k etc. is it more money? yes. Will it last? yes.

Even with a real one it can still fail but the chance is lower, I have seen many people run knock offs with no problems, but if your going to spend the money on the turbo and the rest of your motor why go cheap now?
I just don't like taking the chance because my luck it would fail.

just my .02.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
nosechunks;1494779 said:

No. everything i put on my car is real, including my bov.

i too have read stories about how shitty they are, including the ones that go: why is my knock off bov not working right after 2 weeks?

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
x87SUPRA87x;1494835 said:
Although he might not have proof of that statement. I've seen numerous threads where people complain about how their bov sticks, blows up their expensive turbo. Or ones where their wastegate sticks, over boost their motor, goes lean, and pops it.

The real wastegates' diaphram is made out of material that can sustain the heat levels better. The HKS diaphram is around $100 alone.

If you take it to a object such as a 3/8 rachet.... I could go to meijers, big lots etc. get one for dirt cheap, will it work? of course. Will it last? doubtful. Now say a snap on, s&k etc. is it more money? yes. Will it last? yes.

Even with a real one it can still fail but the chance is lower, I have seen many people run knock offs with no problems, but if your going to spend the money on the turbo and the rest of your motor why go cheap now?
I just don't like taking the chance because my luck it would fail.

just my .02.

Spot on mate, my luck it'd fail if i cheaped out too. I use a genuine HKS ssqv and it's very consistent, i'd definately buy another.
I think the quality control just isn't there on many knock offs.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I can understand your statement on wastegates, as if they fail it could cause damage. Though we do have boost cut for a reason, and safety measures should always be used. A knockoff wastegate could fail just as easy as the reference line could melt on the manifold. There was also a thread a while back that detailed the disassembly and inspection of both a genuine and knockoff hks wastegate. The difference was minimal IIRC.

I could buy the knock off valve and a genuine hks diaphram that is mostlikely the weakest link in a knock off wastegate and still spend half the the 400+ on a genuine hks valve. What would be the difference then?

As far as a blow off valve failing, what would happen if it didn't open? You would have some surge (sone people don't run bovs at all without issues) and you investigate why it isn't working. That's hardly going to cause possible damage to anything. Repeated use of a defective piece is user error.

Fuel pressure regulators I wouldn't trust, they can easily cause damage if they fail. But they are cheap to begin with from a reputable company so there's no reason to go knock off anyway.

These are very simple devices and I'm sure I could have any one of these made one off from scratch to my specs for the same price they sell them for.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I dont completely agree, especially on an automatic car. The compressor surge from and improperly functioning or lack of bov is no where near as harmful and true compressor surge.

BTW, nice sig haha.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
no compressor surge is good for the turbo. if the turbo flutters you have surge and thats not good as the air is going backwards. even on autos the bov still opens. for less time yes but then it also keeps the boost during shifts.

why be cheap with something important and why be cheap at all. find somewhere that sells it cheaper fine but go with a fake i dont get.