Reusable Oil Filter

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
I was going to run redline 5-30. I was told i could run it for 8,000 miles, and change the filter every 4,000.

SO... i just did the math, 100,000 / 4,000 = 25

WIX Filters cost me $5-7 each...

so for me, filters only cost $125-$175 every 100k miles...

Either way though, i still wouldnt, unless your going to clean it every 2k just to be safe.

AND. i just looked at those filters a little more, they filter to 45micron...
WIX filters to 10-12micron according to there site...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
TruFilters use a 45 micron steel screen...any good conventional filter will catch 90% of 20 micron particles. If you're going to go that route, the CM filter is hard to beat...rated at 8 microns. The body is reusable with replacement elements, just like the TruFilter...and, the CM is quite a bit cheaper ;)

CM Filters

Personally, I'll stick with a conventional filter and bypass filter combo.

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
Orion ZyGarian;1002849 said:
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...lany&Dx=mode+matchallany&searchTerm=trufilter

I know we're all cheap here (trust me I'm not much different), but for any of us planing on keeping our cars for 100,000 miles or more (how long it would take to pay off the difference) this seems like an interesting idea.

Suggestions? Opinions? Experiences?

those filters are for mainly race cars, where better flow trumps filtering capabilities. i have run similar ones on some of my mustangs, but that's only because i run lucas which makes the oil thicker, and the engine gets rebuilt atleast once a year

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
"Tests show that Trufilter is 95% more efficient in capturing 35 micron and smaller particles. Lab tests proved that 40 micron particles are the most damaging to your engine! Paper filters don't even come close! Why trust your valued investment to a $2.00 paper filter?"

Thats from the info on the filter if you click it... i love the bullshit lies on the internet.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
CM Super oil filter here. No bypassing. It has been discontinued by Canton. Uses the same filters as the link posted by jdub.
Won't ever go back to filters that have bypassing in them. EVER.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
I thought the micron filtering was ridiculously high, but I havent come across many reusable filters.

That was the idea anyways...a decent filtering filter that is reusable.

I used the 100k for those of us who've read the incredibly helpful oil info threads in the tech sections and will be doing the 4k filter switch 8k oil change. Since I'm keeping my car for the rest of my life, I figured since I intelligently havent changed the filter since I bought it 3 years ago (ouch! Only 6 months of driving though dont worry) this would be an excellent time to get a worthwhile filter that I could reuse.

I just dont understand how I'm supposed to clean it. Its not like I can run water through it, and I wont have access to parts solvent forever--I dont even right now.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
Not just win...

Epic WIN!
p1003035_1.jpg

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I have not personally, but from what I've seen it's an excellent filter that flows extremely well. And, that casing is damn sure never going to burst! Only complaint is the cost of replacement elements ;)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
jdub;1003085 said:
I have not personally, but from what I've seen it's an excellent filter that flows extremely well. And, that casing is damn sure never going to burst! Only complaint is the cost of replacement elements ;)

Yes but that is offset if the filter goes for double the mileage of the standard filters :)

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Rennat;1003035 said:
Not just win...

Epic WIN!
p1003098_1.jpg

Fail. PureOne Filter > All Conventionals.

I have a connection so i'm set. ;)

Edit: Hmm Figgie You've sparked my interest yet again. I'm gonna look into CM filter.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
figgie;1003091 said:
Yes but that is offset if the filter goes for double the mileage of the standard filters :)

That is true, but you can get Amsoil EaO filters for the 7M for $15.30...this filter is the best full flow conventional filter out there IMO. They are rated (and guaranteed) for 15,000 miles or 1 year in severe service when used with a PAO or ester based synthetic.

The replacement elements for the CM 25-200 series is $14.50. Not saying the CM is not a great filter...it's the economics ;)

That's the nice thing about a conventional filter and a bypass filter combo. The filter element for the bypass filter is a roll of TP...it filters down to 1 micron ;)
Way overkill, but the filter elements are dirt cheap, so why not!

Zumtizzle;1003098 said:
Fail. PureOne Filter > All Conventionals

The PureOne has a finer media, so it filters smaller particles. However, the Wix flows better and has a better bypass valve design at the mouth of the filter. It's a trade off...either a Wix or a PureOne are excellent choices when it comes to conventional filters.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
jdub;1003106 said:
The replacement elements for the CM 25-200 series is $14.50. Not saying the CM is not a great filter...it's the economics ;)

Oh I know that. But I am one to always try something outside of the norm. Hell not very many people run the CM spin on filter much less the remote mount filter :) So I said, what the hay! :)