Retorquin head bolts

Mar 14, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Well my previous engine managed to turn into a female and after all was said and done had three holes in the block. I solely blame that on me. I had crazy compression numbers, was smoking blue smoke, i let the pcv vent to temporarily cure the problem and shimmed the wastegate with 2 washers each side. So this time im doing everything right and smart. I bought a complete motor that i was told ran well and the person went 1jz...idiot lol. The motor looked clean but looks can b deceiving. well i want to know if i should retorque the head bolts or not. I heard that doing so can worsen things but I'm wonderin if thats because people don't do it per TSRM order or just back them out all the way then torque.

Last edited:

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
depending on if you have head bolts or studs, i would maybe put a few extra pounds of tourqe on it for good measure, 1 or 2 maybe, IN TSRM ORDER.

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
if you want to do things right.. just re-torquing the head isnt good enough.

you should pull the head and change out the gasket. use head studs. get the head and block decked by a machinest. throw in a metal head gasket. pull the oil pan and inspect the bearings. change any gaslets you come across. any old lines hoses etc..

Mar 14, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
for my power levels i dont need to do all that hence why i didnt. the stock hg blows cuz of being under torqued, a lean condition or too high of a egt. a stock head gasket will hold with arp studs and a correct torque unless the head and/or block is warped. i just wanted to know if i should leave be or retorque.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
re-torque is a general maintenance thing on these engines. cant just re-torque once and call it cool. at least not for what your asking. also DONT follow tsrm tq specs. 55ft lbs is not enough..

Mar 14, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Mk3runner;1467401 said:
re-torque is a general maintenance thing on these engines. cant just re-torque once and call it cool. at least not for what your asking. also DONT follow tsrm tq specs. 55ft lbs is not enough..

TSRM was only gonna be used for tightening sequence.

And IJ do you mean since installation in my car? If so only to insure everything was plugged up correctly and it was running with out any problems but never driven.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Normally I give an engine 4>5 full heat cycles then do a retorque, in TRSM sequence I back crack the bolt/nut (pull back on a breaker bar the stiction will release with a sharp "crack" but go no further) then pull it back to the final spec and repeat 13 more times.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
IJ.;1467408 said:
Normally I give an engine 4>5 full heat cycles then do a retorque, in TRSM sequence I back crack the bolt/nut (pull back on a breaker bar the stiction will release with a sharp "crack" but go no further) then pull it back to the final spec and repeat 13 more times.

IJ do you recommend an anual retorque? or is one all it takes?

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
black89t;1467493 said:
IJ do you recommend an anual retorque? or is one all it takes?

If you could have a monkey under the hood to retorque as you were driving down the road, I think IJ would do it...
jk lol.
Personally, I would go through the engine, inspect bearings, replace HG, ARP studs, etc. Doing any less is being cheap. Cheap is another word for broken on these cars. Do it once, do it right.
That's my $.02
-AM3

Mar 14, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
maybe not but sure is worried about torque. and if he's on stock twins he'll be changing them just as often as i will be changin hgs and its just as much of a pita to do

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
re tourqing the head isnt really that bad, and if your just gonna cruise in your 7m, then no i wouldnt change the hg ither, like you said, only bad thing from the factory on these was the tq spec. NOT a shitty hg set up. my other car has stock hg 100k on it at 10psi, noooo problems. just when you do the re tq change out the lame vc bolts with new ones AND grommets. vc gaskets are cheap from dealer.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I've seen pretty of 7m stock hg lasting up to 180k... there's probably ones with higher mileage then that.