Resurrection of a beat up Greddy Intercooler *Pics*

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Scored a pretty sweet deal on a roached Greddy R-SPL 2 Row. The cores looked intact so I thought I'd take a chance on it. Well after a good cleaning inside and out it was time to straighten fins. Some little tweezers and a lot of patience goes a long way. Here's where 10+ hrs gets ya.

Before:

After:

Gonna drop her in this week. Been planning on swapping my ebay unit out for the longest time.
I'm not sure the exact Greddy model intercooler this is. Pretty sure it's a 24R based on the internal fin design and outer dimensions.

Picture is prior to flushing out the core with about a half gallon of brake cleaner.

How much horsepower can one of these things support?

Last edited:

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Made one pass with 2 small flat head screw drivers to pull and angle each fin. Then made another pass with a small pair of tweezers to pinch each fin straight. Painstakingly slow, but effective.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nice job :D

Can actually buy pliers to do this job, saw a set when I visited a Radiator manufacturer here in Australia.

There is also a RADIATOR FIN COMB AIR CONDITIONING STRAIGHTENER available that would make the job 1000x easier for $20..

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Tried the comb, didn't really help me much. With smashed in fins, a pair of small flat heads is the only thing that'll work without ripping the fins. As far as straightening goes, the tweezer part went fairly brisk and easy.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
MarkIII4Me;2025839 said:
Tried the comb, didn't really help me much. With smashed in fins, a pair of small flat heads is the only thing that'll work without ripping the fins. As far as straightening goes, the tweezer part went fairly brisk and easy.
Yeah I think the Pliers would have been a huge help, bit like tweezers but they have a stop so you can't pull the fin out it just straightens them.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Many of the really damaged fins required the use of two flat head screw drivers being held at different angles to bend a fin with one and support it from the other side with the other. I got into a Zen-like state of concentration while doing it. Kinda felt like a brain surgeon. lol. My father is a reconstructive surgeon, so maybe I genetically acquired his steady hands. :icon_lol: