Required winch pull for Supra -> Trailer

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
As the title suggests, how much pull does a winch need to get the Supra onto a car trailer? I've seen numerous electric winches but recently saw a 1500 lb hand crank winch and wondered if this would be sufficient to pull the car onto a trailer safely.

Tried a search for "trailer winch" and only found a couple of wise cracks.

Thanks!

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Use a warn 4x4 winch. It can pull a Jeep or large 4x4 out of the mud should be able to role a supra on a trailer! No idea the drap factor of the Supra but 1500lb should be able to do it since it is rolling. But an electronic one with controls ment to do 4000lbs or something would be safest!

HTH,
Seth

gelboy1015

Vroom Vroom!
Jan 1, 2007
Houston, TX
I used 2000 lb electric winch, 12v running on a portable battery charger, to pull a supra targa shell w. locked up brakes and flat tires sunk into the ground, up a 4 wheel uhaul trailer.

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
lol, I broke three comealongs trying to get one of mine on a trailer once....

...the car ended up rolling down the street until I jumped in it and pulled the ebrake.

Ahhh, memories.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
You could do a bit of physics:

Supra weighs 3800lbs. If you want to lift it straight up, you'll need a winch that can pull 3800lbs. Moving it along a flat surface takes almost no force. At some angle between them, it takes F=3800*sin(angle). (sin(0)=0; sin(90)=1). For 1500lbs, you get about 23 degrees.

If the ramps on your trailer are under 23 degrees, 1500lbs is good.

Asterix

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Sorry that is not right^^^^ You are forgetting rolling resistance and a whole lot more!

Get an electric warn winch if you are going to be doing this regularly and if it is just one then push it!!....lol Or borrow a friends jeep with a winch on it!

Seth

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
The idea I really had was to get a winch like you guys had described, get a trailer box, an extra battery, and a solar charger. I could mount the battery in the box, the solar on top of the box and run the wires inside, and mount the winch to the frame.

This is the best setup I can come up with and have seen it done a few times. I really like it, but saw the hand crank winch. Since I won't be using it all the time, I thought the hand crank job would be a good alternative, IF it could pull the load safely.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Well Asterix's math may not take into account everything but its probably closer than just throwing out a wild guess. Assuming you dont have any serious drag (locked brakes, flat tires, etc.) a 2000lb winch should be sufficiant. Also remember those ratings on winches are the "safe" range. Exceeding them for occasional use or in less than idea conditions once in while is USUALLY ok.

If you wanted to test the theory you could get a force gauge and put it between the supra and the winch while its being pulled up and see what the "pulled weight" is.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
theWeezL;1025683 said:
Well Asterix's math may not take into account everything but its probably closer than just throwing out a wild guess.

It's a place to start. Sure, it leaves out rolling resistance, but if your brakes aren't locked and your tires properly inflated, you can move the car on a level garage floor with 20lbs of push.

Nobody had any idea, so I thought I'd provide some analysis.

Asterix