request: modifications to the stock intake manifold.

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
i am new to supras. i had an 85 corolla gts for 10 years so im somewhat familiar with 80's toyotas.
just wondering how if ever, people have modified the intake manifold on the 7mgte's.

i am thinking about relocating the throttle body to the front, right behind the alternator or maybe off the side a bit. obviously modification will be required and i plan on doing it myself.

just wanted to see if theres any noob mistakes i can avoid from lessons learned on here.

thanks

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
A link would do.

You "could" modify the stock mani buy it would be much easier ,to me anyways, to either make you own by hacking a stock mani or just buying a ffim from sethron. And by hacking i mean either using just the lower runners or hacking the top of the upper part and adding a 3in tube with a plate for the tb. Using the lower runners would be more than just welding a 3in tube on it tho. The upper tho thats basically what your doing and then angling it for the tb and then route your ic down inbetween the battery and rad.

Sethron makes very great manifolds and although there expensive there prolly well worth it as i dont have one. Can get them fully cnc machined and everything....

Will most likely need a alternator relocation tho.

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
dang. the alternator relocation is something i really didnt feel like doing. i did one on my subaru and it took forever. haha.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

Devin LeBlanc;1647445 said:
Use the search button for FFIM "Front Facing Intake manifold"

just did and it brought me right back here. so much for search

MK3_TJ

May 21, 2008
Kettering, OH
The alternator relocation is the about the easiest part of the whole thing. Its a pretty involved process but not hard. I bought one from Wes Beech of BeechPerformance.

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
oh nice. i guess i was just thinking about how i had to completely make my own brackets and figure out a serpentine belt from a v style belts.
but i can see just a little bracket being a lot easier. moving it down a bit.

im kind of curious as to how all the vacuum tubing and throttle calbes will go. since theres a lot of that stuff on the intake manifold as well as the throttle body.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Takes a lot of work and of the best results need a tig welder which are expensive.

If you have a standalone you can get rid of the isc and cold start injector and use a camry throttle cable. Then make one threaded hole for vacuum and run that to a vacuum block mounted under the intake so you dont see it.

All of that plus taking the manifold off and mocking it up so it doesnt hit the shock tower or brake booster and fits right. Also hopefully after all that the mounting surface wont warp if you didnt make something to mount it on while your welding.

Not quite as easy as it sounds.

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
i have a tig welder although i've never used it. hahah. its just sitting there. too cold in utah to even take the garbage out. i hate this place.
but anyways, i saw one where the guy actually did exactly what i want to do. he just blocked off the old hole and cut and welded for the new.