Replacing the floor carpet in an 89'

RoadWarrior

Feb 21, 2012
Chicago's West Suburbs
Just wondering if anyone else has done this. I was looking and found a few sites that offer the complete floor carpet for around 200-250. These are Aardvark Motors and Auto-Interior.com. Please help me make a decision if you have had experience with this replacement

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I know Rock-Auto sells carpet as well but I too would like to know the difference in material as they have a lot of different options.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
"auto-interiors.com" (I assume you mean stockinteriors.com since the name you posted doesn't exist) carpet is good quality, but it doesn't have the padding under it exactly like the OEM carpet so it doesn't sit perfectly flat on the floor like OEM unless you re-use the original felt and foam matting. It also isn't completely pre-cut (you need to cut the seatbelt and seat holes and the holes for the console mounts and trim the edges where it meets the trim), so it can be frustrating to install, but I suspect any aftermarket carpet will be like that. I've used their pre-molded carpet in a few cars and it's better than stained/moldy/faded OEM carpet, but if OEM was available for a car I'd rather install OEM carpet despite the ~$500 price difference... because OEM carpet almost always literally drops right in.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Putting in the molded carpet is a serious pain in the ass. There's a shitload of holes to cut, just right, or you'll end up with something that doesn't fit properly - which may happen anyway, my buddy's Lincoln carpet was 4 inches short on the molded width.

I'm wondering if the slightly pricier options are any better.

I'd order it without the sewn on protective pad under the clutch / brake / gas pedals, too. Damn thing is annoying as hell, slick when wet, and your heel gets caught on the edge while driving. It's nowhere near as nice as the stock one. If I were doing it again, I'd just use a floor mat.

RoadWarrior

Feb 21, 2012
Chicago's West Suburbs
destrux;1824131 said:
"auto-interiors.com" (I assume you mean stockinteriors.com since the name you posted doesn't exist) carpet is good quality
Ah yeah some kind of generic name like that. but yeah you answered most my questions. i figured it would not be totally the same, but i might just go with floor mats. i mostly just want to change the color