replacing hub studs need help!

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
hello, i need to replace all 5 studs on the driver side front wheel, i know the tsrm has a special tool to remove them, but most of them are broke off almost even so this is a 2 part question

how would i remove them if broken flush?

or should i get a new hub and install new hub bolts (reqires removal of the whole hub assembly off the car and to use a press)

input is greatly appreciated

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
they pop through and then are insered from the back, use and open ended lug net to pell em into place...

very easy if you don't have ABS...

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just hit them through with a punch.
Then put the next one in through the back, be sure to get it straight, and put a bunch of washers on the hub face and use an open ended 12 X 1.5 mm nut to pull the knurl into the hub holes

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
DON'T OVERTORQUE, stock lug nut torque is fine to seating them, anything more and you'll stretch, damage, or snap the bolts...

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
garagefujimoto said:
Just hit them through with a punch.
Then put the next one in through the back, be sure to get it straight, and put a bunch of washers on the hub face and use an open ended 12 X 1.5 mm nut to pull the knurl into the hub holes

thanks ill try the punch idea!

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Getting ready to do my 91 (with ABS)... anyone have some timesaving tips, write-up? My 87T had ABS and I don't remember the front wheel hubs being this difficult to work with.

I don't want to pull the whole huib off if I don't have to (got lots of other work that needs my more immediate attention).

Last edited:

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
all i know is i replaced ONE stud on a buddies 89T with ABS and it was a bitch!!. i will buy a new shell before i replace one of those in my car again LOL

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
LOL!- TRUE that.
I've replace all of the front studs in both hubs, because I replaced both front bearings/ seals. It IS a bitch to disassemble the ABS hubs, because that big-ass nut on the back doesn't wanna come off without airtools, and the spindle itself will NOT come out without an SST, or a very creative way of placing it in a press. I then pressed all of the new studs back in with the press- easy.
PS- If you have to get new wheel studs, DON'T get them from Toyota- they're like $5 each! I paid $7 total for 5 studs at Oreilly's.