replacement seals for throttle body (not gasket, but shaft seals)

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
hey there. I recently had my throttle body apart for powder coat. I want to replace the shaft seals but there are no Toyota part numbers for individual throttle body parts. has anyone found a replacement for these?

~scott

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Good question.
I just took mine apart as well. My seals are in good shape, but i have to remove them for powdercoating.
Have you been able to remove yours without messing them up, Scottie?

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
For what it's worth, I would think most hydraulic shops or maybe semi truck supply shops would have replacement seals. They are usually just an OD, ID, and thickness. If you bring them the parts and tell them the application they could probably help.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Enraged;1903574 said:
For what it's worth, I would think most hydraulic shops or maybe semi truck supply shops would have replacement seals. They are usually just an OD, ID, and thickness. If you bring them the parts and tell them the application they could probably help.
Bearing Stores should stock something close.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
I was able to pick mine out with out damaging them. I have a special pick just for picking out seals that is not sharp. I want to replace mine just because I would hate to have to take apart my TB again.

I went to the local bearing and hydraulic shop and they didn't have anything! however they do specialize in larger applications like semi trucks and tractors. I searched on line for the ID and OD but all the seals I could find that would fit were not as thick as the stock seal.

Oh and a note to anyone taking their TB apart. Drill carefully when removing the hardware that retains the throttle plate! I did not drill straight and managed to get into the shaft and need to either re tap is and go up in hardware or get a TB and steal the shaft.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
scottiedawg66;1903663 said:
Oh and a note to anyone taking their TB apart. Drill carefully when removing the hardware that retains the throttle plate! I did not drill straight and managed to get into the shaft and need to either re tap is and go up in hardware or get a TB and steal the shaft.

Didn't have to drill out the plate- I just unscrewed those two screws. Took awhile, as they were trying desperately to strip their heads out on my screwdriver. They are M3.5x.6x8mm long, if you need to replace.

Did you ever find a decent replacement for those seals?
I boogered one up while removing them, so now I'm on the hunt as well.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Well, just for everyone's edification, here's how I wasted my money this morning:
Went to the junkyard and pulled the throttle body off a '96 Camry. Looked at the throttle seal and saw that it was pretty much the same od(15.25mm).
Brought it home, popped one of the seals out, and found out very quickly that the throttle shaft is larger than the supra's(~9.0mm vs. 8.5mm).
So, while I'm sure that certain Toyotas share the same throttle shaft seals, the '96 Camry ain't one of them.