Replaced HG. Removed EGR. One Problem...

7mge_Rk

May 7, 2009
Medford, NY
Hey Guys,

I am going to have to look over the entire Vacuum line system in my car because after the installation of the headgasket and assembling the intake, my friend and I had to reinstall all of the vacuum lines. He might have half assed the job. Nobody up here owns a Supra. Sons of bitches.

However, Tomorrow will be the day I check everything because of schedule issues.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
dumbo;1315418 said:
EGR wont have any effect on idle.

It also will if the EGR valve is stuck open (carbon) or if the EGR valve is getting vacuum at idle due to a mis-routing of the lines. The car will idle very rough. I know that's not the case with an EGR not installed, but the above statement is not completely correct.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
That's interesting 3P...so, the resistor prevents the USDM TCCS from referencing the EGR fuel/timing tables? The tables it uses to substitute with the resistor in place are the same as the JDM TCCS? (I didn't realize both the USDM and JDM tables were loaded in every ECU)

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
jdub;1316090 said:
It also will if the EGR valve is stuck open (carbon) or if the EGR valve is getting vacuum at idle due to a mis-routing of the lines. The car will idle very rough. I know that's not the case with an EGR not installed, but the above statement is not completely correct.

Good call, I never thought of it like that. Keep forgetting he didn't physically remove it.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
Pages EC13 and 14
If you activate the EGR valve while idling, the engine should stumble or stall. That's how you see if it's working. (Seconding jdub again...)

With a dead or disconnected air flow sensor the car will start but not run.

Asterix

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The resistor just pulls a particular input to logic low (JDM=0, NA=1). The ECU code checks this particular bit at numerous places and runs different code. It completely skips the EGR subroutine if set to JDM.

The MCU includes all maps for A/T, M/T, JDM, NA. Given that the ECU code is set using masks at the time of fabrication, you want to have as few chip versions as is possible to keep costs low. No flash memory back in 1984-85 when this ECU was in development. They use lots of dirty coding tricks to save memory in these chips.

jdub;1317595 said:
That's interesting 3P...so, the resistor prevents the USDM TCCS from referencing the EGR fuel/timing tables? The tables it uses to substitute with the resistor in place are the same as the JDM TCCS? (I didn't realize both the USDM and JDM tables were loaded in every ECU)

7mge_Rk

May 7, 2009
Medford, NY
dumbo;1318633 said:
As soon as he verifies the 87-88GTE, I'll be doing the mod and sending him a case of beer haha.

OP any updates?

With school, no. In 5 minutes after I get out of this forum, I'm heading over to reinstall, FINALLY!! ^_^, I have had 2 dreams this week of installing the egr lol. I am about to go kick some EGR installing ass lol, sorry guys.
I am going to print out some vacuum line diagrams from the online tsrm too. BBL guys, wish me luck

7mge_Rk

May 7, 2009
Medford, NY
OK I have some news.
I believe all of the vacuum lines are in place with the exception of two coming from the railing below the Intake manifold; however not a blatant problem yet. Now, I have found a yellow-black wire from the harness with a small brown plug on the end. Can any of you locate it in your vehicles and tell or show me as to where this gets plugged into? I can't seem to find any place for it.

Attachments

• DSC01217.jpg
    DSC01217.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC01218.jpg
    DSC01218.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC01219.jpg
    DSC01219.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC01220.jpg
    DSC01220.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC01221.jpg
    DSC01221.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 19

7mge_Rk

May 7, 2009
Medford, NY
89Joe;1331439 said:
What they said ^ :)

I am still having trouble finding the right outlet for this plug. It is not around or under the thermostat housing as pictured. and one other problem so far with the vacuum lines is this one particular VSV has three individual ports that should have their own connecting vacuum lines, however I can not find the other port to which this one on the VSV connects to (via the vacuum line).

It is a red VSV, 3 outlets. I believe it is the one responsible for fuel pressure. A reason that could quite possibly be the cause my car not holding its idle and dieing.

Attachments

• DSC01224.jpg
    DSC01224.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC01225.jpg
    DSC01225.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 10

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
7mge_Rk;1331494 said:
I am still having trouble finding the right outlet for this plug. It is not around or under the thermostat housing as pictured. and one other problem so far with the vacuum lines is this one particular VSV has three individual ports that should have their own connecting vacuum lines, however I can not find the other port to which this one on the VSV connects to (via the vacuum line).

It is a red VSV, 3 outlets. I believe it is the one responsible for fuel pressure. A reason that could quite possibly be the cause my car not holding its idle and dieing.
The connector goes to the oil pressure sending unit like others have said.

The VSV, do you have the vac canister under the manifold, that's were one of the lines goes, another goes to the pipes that mounts to the manifold.

7mge_Rk

May 7, 2009
Medford, NY
AJ'S 88NA;1331691 said:
The connector goes to the oil pressure sending unit like others have said.

The VSV, do you have the vac canister under the manifold, that's were one of the lines goes, another goes to the pipes that mounts to the manifold.

I have the two vacuum lines already connected to those areas. One from the VSV to the canister and the other from the VSV to the correct one of the pipes that mounts to the manifold. However located on the VSV is another port to which it looks like a vacuum line should connect to, but there appears to be no respective port on either the canister, piping or any other place for that matter.

As you can see from the pics, the two vacuum lines needed are already there. However there is an extra piece/port/vacuum line connector piece on the VSV, can any of you examine your own supra is in this area and tell me if there are three of those on your Fuell pressure VSV's?

As for the Thermostat housing, there is no port underneath it. I think I am the only one that owns a Supra here in medford... and with Beginner mechanics knowledge, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR PATIENCE!!!!

monkihead

driven to thrill
Jul 23, 2005
texas
7mge_Rk;1331699 said:
As for the Thermostat housing, there is no port underneath it. I think I am the only one that owns a Supra here in medford... and with Beginner mechanics knowledge, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR PATIENCE!!!!

its all good man. for that connector - look under your distributor, on the engine block. there should be a small round canister. it clips onto that.