Replaced HG. Removed EGR. One Problem...

7mge_Rk

May 7, 2009
Medford, NY
Hello!

I have a 1988 Toyota Supra, AUTO, 7mge.
I had recently changed the head gasket and removed the EGR as well. Everything seems fine and dandy. However the problem is:

I turn the key in the ignition, she begins to idle for a second or two then the idle drops extremely fast and she stops running:icon_evil:. Sometimes there seems to be an explosion or giant puff of smoke coming from around the fuel injector area possibly. From inside the car it is hard to tell, but it is most certainly towards the rear end of the valve cove (closest to the windshield).:nono:

please help :1zhelp:

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
First off you shouldn't have removed the EGR unless you did a JDM ecu with it. Second, how did you block off the egr openings and such? Most people are going to call you stupid for removing the egr, if you didn't modify the engine to support it, because its well...stupid.

7mge_Rk

May 7, 2009
Medford, NY
I read a 7mge thread off of another site about eliminating vacuum lines and they suggested removing the egr lines and capping off the remaing vacuum line ports. The red lines are the ones I removed, the green are the areas capped.

Also to note:

Before I had removed the EGR, I had the same problem with the car not holding an idle for more than a second or two and dieing. Any Suggestions? I can re install the egr no problem if anything, but the same problem might ensue.

Attachments

• 7mgevhremove1.jpg
    7mgevhremove1.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 68

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
So you didn't remove the EGR you just removed some vacuum lines?

As for the idle/die situation - Check your fuel injectors you really don't want an explosion coming from them. Check your fuel pressure. Check your ISC. Check for vacuum leaks.

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
CyFi6;1314977 said:
First off you shouldn't have removed the EGR unless you did a JDM ecu with it. Second, how did you block off the egr openings and such? Most people are going to call you stupid for removing the egr, if you didn't modify the engine to support it, because its well...stupid.

I removed my egr system. No problems here. Stock ecu. IDK if its JDM or not. Idle is fine. To block it off I machined some plates.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
:3d_frown:
Why did Toyota put them there? Ask that question before you fuck with shit. Put them back! EGR saves you fuel and your engine, AND its good for the enviroment. Also put the lines back on for your charcoal canister(water neck lines) Why do people feel the need to remove this stuff??

Sounds like valve timing(check the TSRM for proper setup), did it start doing this after your headgasket change I take it?

Check your codes.http://cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=FI&P=23

Did you remove this stuff to make your engine bay look cool?

EDIT: isnms beat me to it!

BTW it was stupid to remove this stuff.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
isnms;1315038 said:
And do you know why you removed your EGR system? Do you know why it was there in the first place?

hopeless .../subscription

And he's probably not running any standalone hardware either to compensate for what the EGR helped control.

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
isnms;1315038 said:
And do you know why you removed your EGR system? Do you know why it was there in the first place?

hopeless .../subscription

dumbo;1315044 said:
:3d_frown:
Why did Toyota put them there? Ask that question before you fuck with shit. Put them back! EGR saves you fuel and your engine, AND its good for the enviroment. Also put the lines back on for your charcoal canister(water neck lines) Why do people feel the need to remove this stuff??

Sounds like valve timing(check the TSRM for proper setup), did it start doing this after your headgasket change I take it?

Check your codes.http://cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=FI&P=23

Did you remove this stuff to make your engine bay look cool?

EDIT: isnms beat me to it!

BTW it was stupid to remove this stuff.

I just said I have no problems. and never had any problems. I didn't ask for a questionnaire.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
NTRA08;1315054 said:
I just said I have no problems. and never had any problems. I didn't ask for a questionnaire.

No disrespect intended but if you've pulled the EGR on a USDM engine and ECU, without any supporting AEM or other hardware, you've got a problem whether you're aware of it or not. Do yourself, your engine, your wallet, and the environment a favor and re-install it.

The same applies to the OP btw.

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
Waiting for the my engine detonated and destroyed my pistons why????? Thread. There are some very in dept write ups for why it is not a good idea in the tech sections. If your too lazy to look them up the cliffs notes are this, no egr, run lean at light cruise, and other situations, detonate rebuold.

OP check your mechanical timing and ignition timing

7mge_Rk

May 7, 2009
Medford, NY
OK, well this is why I'm here, too learn. Sunday or monday, I will reinstall the EGR (And no it wasn't to just make my engine bay look cool), Reconnect the vacuum lines from the water neck to the charcoal canister as well.
I will have to check the timing.

Without the Egr, when I started it after a bit, the engine light had come on, but wasn't blinking.

I will write back right after it is installed!

Thanks alot

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
CyFi6;1315530 said:
It will if he pulled the valve off and left all the ports open..

That is a massive vaccum leak. I checked my codes. I have 34 and 43. Water temp sensor and turbo pressure sender.