Removing Temp Sensor from Therm Housing

suprabee

Celicasupra.com Member
May 18, 2006
Scotts Valley, California
I'm trying to remove my temp sensor from the Thermostat housing while it's still on the engine. Tried to loosen it this morning, but it wouldn't move and I'm afraid of breaking it off with the threads still in the housing. I'm going to spray some liquid wrench on the surface of the threads and give it another shot tomorrow.
Here is a pic of it. It is the middle sensor without a connector on it. I believe that it is a fan sensor, but I'm not positive.

So....anyone have any suggestions/tips/experience on how to make this bugger come off easier.

rick

Attachments

• imgp0104.jpg
    imgp0104.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

suprabee

Celicasupra.com Member
May 18, 2006
marc1131 said:
Stop being a wuss... j/p
maybe a use a long pipe for more leverage

Of course...
I know how to us a breaker bar.
It felt as if the outer portion was turning and the threads were still locked, so I halted the torquing.

rick

Last edited:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Since you've already got the coolant drained and hose off I'd pull the housing and do it in a vise. Those housing bolts and holes aren't all that strong so it's not wise to be loading them. Next time try cracking it loose with the engine at operating temp, then remove it after cool down.

suprabee

Celicasupra.com Member
May 18, 2006
jetjock said:
Since you've already got the coolant drained and hose off I'd pull the housing and do it in a vise. Those housing bolts and holes aren't all that strong so it's not wise to be loading them. Next time try cracking it loose with the engine at operating temp, then remove it after cool down.

Actually, that photo is not mine, I pulled it from another thread while I was doing a search for this topic. Anyway, I like the idea of trying to crack it while the engine is hot.
thanks,
Rick

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
6 Pt. Deep Socket, Breaker bar, and it's off. Then clean all the threads, use Teflon Tape (I use two complete wraps using 1/2"), when you put it back in so it will always just come back out without any thread damage.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
All depends on how much care he takes. The problem is inexperienced people haven't had time to "calibrate" their muscles. It's why they often break stuff. People with experience "know" how to apply torque consistent with the material and size of whatever they're dealing with.

They also know how to size a tool so as not to cause problems. Its' all about feel. Since there's no way to convey that it's up to him to decide. Frankly, it ought to come out the way it is without much trouble. He can always take the housing off. It's what I'd do because applying stress to it isn't a good idea. Especially with the leverage a breaker bar offers. That's how things get busted.

Beautiful area up around Felton. Years ago I lived in Boulder Creek.

suprabee

Celicasupra.com Member
May 18, 2006
Well... it came right off after letting the engine cool for about 30 minutes to let the coolant pressure reduce, still leaving the sensor warm and with a breaker bar it came right off.
rick

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
don't use teflon tape if you're replacing it with a new factory sensor since they come with sealer pre-applied (I know this for a fact)

I didn't use teflon tape on ANY of thoe sensors even if they where old since the thread is self sealing...

I also agree with JJ on taking the T-stat housing off since those bolts brake far too easily (I've broken 4, and I used a torque wrench and the spec from the TSRM...)

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Self Sealing threads, you mean Metric Tapered Pipe Threads? Metal to Metal is a great way to seal IF you never have to remove it. Fittings that already have sealant applied is a different Story. I would love to hear why you would'nt use Teflon Tape on tapered Pipe Thread on a car you work on? As Far as I know only Micronic Filters dont like Teflon Tape. I have actually never had a teflon taped pipe thread leak or not come right out on a vehicle even after years of service and corrosion of the pipes ID.