removing my automatic tranny, loose but not coming off

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
I am removing my auto tranny for my auto to manual conversion, I removed fluids, driveshafts, supported it with a jack, removed wiring, shifter and bellhousing bolts, it came loose and i can see the inside but i cant seem to pull it all the way off. Did I forget to unbolt something?

btw, I got those hard to reach bolts up top also so that cant be the problem

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
mkIIIman089;1403526 said:
'You read the manual? My guess is not...

The tsrm only has a picture of a blown up transmission in the section to remove the auto transmission...
AT_043.gif

its not that much help for such a noob like me

foordoorracer

Feb 23, 2009
CLT
sparkplug619;1403515 said:
I am removing my auto tranny for my auto to manual conversion, I removed fluids, driveshafts, supported it with a jack, removed wiring, shifter and bellhousing bolts, it came loose and i can see the inside but i cant seem to pull it all the way off. Did I forget to unbolt something?

btw, I got those hard to reach bolts up top also so that cant be the problem

did you unbolt the torque converter from the flywheel???

Last edited:

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
sparkplug619;1403529 said:
The tsrm only has a picture of a blown up transmission in the section to remove the auto transmission...
AT_043.gif

its not that much help for such a noob like me

No kidding, look at that, I guess it's not much help. My 1st inkling would be to make sure the torque converter is unbolted from the drive plate.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
There is a mount on the bottom of the stock down pipe attached with a exhaust clamp, i cant remember if its attached to tranny or engine. Might want to check that out.

Also converter bolts and check the shifter linkage as everyone else said.

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
uh since when do you have to take the torque convert off to get the tranny out?? loosing the engine mount bolts a bit and jacking the front of the engine up a little you may just be cought up on something

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
CF_Sapper;1403611 said:
uh since when do you have to take the torque convert off to get the tranny out?? loosing the engine mount bolts a bit and jacking the front of the engine up a little you may just be cought up on something

i was about to say the same thing, when i removed my w58 i didnt have to take off my torque converter, I do believe its caught on something, I jacked it up a little more and wiggled it and it came off a little more.

BTW, I started my conversion because I thought my tranny was done for, come to find out there were only 3 or 4 bellhousing bolts in there, I noticed wherever a bolt was missing, there was a really bad leak.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
sparkplug619;1403637 said:
i was about to say the same thing, when i removed my w58 i didnt have to take off my torque converter, I do believe its caught on something, I jacked it up a little more and wiggled it and it came off a little more.

BTW, I started my conversion because I thought my tranny was done for, come to find out there were only 3 or 4 bellhousing bolts in there, I noticed wherever a bolt was missing, there was a really bad leak.

W58 is a manual, therefore no torque converter. A340E is an automatic, therefore torque converter.

you disconnected the oil cooler lines, harness plugs, shifter linkage, driveshaft, exhaust from transmission (hangar near the tailshaft housing), the speedometer cable, and the rear trans mount, yes?

if so, you should just have to wiggle it back and forth to get the transmission free. jacking up the front of the engine will help as well.

the torque converter is not bolted on to the flex plate.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
CF_Sapper;1403611 said:

You run the risk of damaging the Front seal and Pump in the trans removing and refitting it leaving the convertor bolted to the drive plate... :(

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
its just stuck. hit it with your purse.

no, really unbolt the converter from the flexplate. you'll need to rotate the crank pulley to get at all the bolts. and just to forewarn, when you dumped the fluid you got about 1/4 of the fluid out. the converter holds quite a bit.

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
IJ.;1403652 said:
You run the risk of damaging the Front seal and Pump in the trans removing and refitting it leaving the convertor bolted to the drive plate... :(

this i did not know.

+1 for Ian as always.

i just took my compined knowlage of removing a manually tranny on the car and the auto outta the car and put 2 and 2 together. guess i was wrong :).

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
While it can be done that way there's a HUGE chance of damaging the front pump as you need to align 3 splines before it will go in, a lot of the time people get 2 lined up then bolt the trans down and this breaks the pump drive and rotor which is bad mmmkay ;)

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
IJ.;1403885 said:
While it can be done that way there's a HUGE chance of damaging the front pump as you need to align 3 splines before it will go in, a lot of the time people get 2 lined up then bolt the trans down and this breaks the pump drive and rotor which is bad mmmkay ;)

im assuming this is for the installation of the auto only? but I see your point one more thing to add to the knowlage tool box :)
oh and it does make a hell of a messi was smart when i did mine and had a pan the wen under the length of the engine/tranny combined. im really gald i did the dam thing spewed fluide like no tommorow.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Yep during install, pulling the trans with the Convetor still on the flex plate you just run the risk of trashing the front seal and making a huge mess.

Even when you think you've fully drained one they will still leak for a year or so when sitting ;)