Removing fuel damper, good or bad?

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Stock fuel hose from damper to rail is busted (on my 1JZ), I'm thinking of just replacing it with a DM hose.

I'm still running a stock pump and relay/resistor for now, stock boost, will eliminating the fuel damper cause any problems?

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
A possible 3000 rpm breakup. But I'm in the middle of putting the DM line on with an adapter to intergrate the fuel dampener In the line. My stock line was kinked to all he'll.

Moral of the story is I reccomend the DM line. But I reccomend the dampner too.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
That 3000 RPM break up has been happening since early 2000. I called Aaron and that is what he told me. I researched it, which he said to do, and it is true. It is really a hit or miss. The lines are meant for a upgraded fuel system and above stock HP ratings.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
with my setup and that line i was running way too rich and getting a 2500 sputter, i put the damper back in and its running flawlessly now. I say do it, if not you can always find a stock damper for 20-50 bux, i got mine for 25, i still kept the line so i can integrate the DM line & damper one day

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Ah, I see. I know what the damper does... it smooths out the pulses from the fuel pump rotor so that you have smooth fuel pressure. I was just going to say that it must be something specific to toyota, but I remember seeing a damper in the tank on my mitsubishi and on several other kinds of cars too.

I guess I'd rather just keep it there then. The hose that goes from the damper to the rail was kinked and I wanted to replace it as a precaution. I have a bunch of banjo fittings around, I could just make one up I guess.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
I do not understand why some setups bypassing the FD have an affect to the fuel system. Are you guys running aftermarket fuel pressure regulators with the damper bypassed?

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
Does the car go to lean/rich conditions when it breaks up? With your setup at 45/50 psi base fuel pressure it would make sense to run pig rich. When you lower the pressure to less than 43psi, does it go lean or rich when it sputters.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Like most mechanical systems, the fuel system has resonances related to the length of the components and the speed which the pressure waves travel in the lines. The injector fuel rail is particularly susceptible because it has two closed ends forming a nice resonator (standing waves with high and low pressure along the rail), and a bunch of vibrating injectors to excite the resonance. The dampener de-Q's the resonator, it reduces the ratio of stored energy to energy dissipated. Any mechanical system of this nature needs to have it resonances managed, which is why all the auto manufacturers use them. Its been said many times on this site, if you don't understand why something is there, don't remove it.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Well said.

On a related note... I found out that the oil fitting banjo bolt from the 7MGTE oil cooler return pipe is the same thread as the fuel hose banjo bolts, but has a larger passageway inside. It should flow quite a bit more than the stock fuel bolts.

The 7MGTE oil cooler return pipe could also be used if you wanted a cheap way to hook 3/8" fuel hose to the fuel rail.

I cut the outer rubber cover off the kinked fuel hose only to find out that it was not kinked after all. ::happy claus:: So I'll just be putting that back on and moving on to the rest of my list.

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
My Buddy & I never had issues with the dampner, I wonder if its cause we run AEM ems, Question, Are you guys running stock injectors? I was running 550cc from a MKIV with the resistor pack & of course tuned by the AEM....

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
As i have stated before some setups do work. Just like the above and few of my buddy's car have no issues with the damper bypassed. Stock ECU, larger injectors with AFPR installed.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
OneJSupra;1634489 said:
As i have stated before some setups do work. Just like the above and few of my buddy's car have no issues with the damper bypassed. Stock ECU, larger injectors with AFPR installed.

Same here. Running a walbro pump, mkiv 550's, afpr and the bypass line. No issues.

zoppii

Pro Lurker
May 21, 2007
Palm Harbor
Aaron said he was working on solution to still have the SS lines but using the FPD. I don't know what the timing is of this though.