removing condensor?

esc

WUM WUM!
Mar 30, 2005
Winston, NC
How hard is it to remove the A/C condensor? Have to rip half the front end apart or what? I'd like to get rid of it (save a lil weight and all in all just get it out of the damn way). My A/C isn't even hooked up so I assume there's no real purpose to having it sitting there.

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
simply remove the hood lock brace,disconnect all hoses remove the four retaining screws then take it out. hope that helps

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
the hard part is disconnecting all the hoses, i ended up just taking a saw to all of them then ripping the condenser out with a krobar(sp).

whiplash

Oct 8, 2005
Ottawa, ON
^^ Did you have to get the system "de-gassed" before removal? Releasing freon into the atmosphere isn't the most safe thing =) I've have the belt from the a/c removed for a long while, might as well remove the whole system, Eric can attest to the fact that here you have to embrace the heat, as it's not around for long =)

Allan

Last edited:

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
True dat whiplash, I didn't use the ac at all in the supra, except in the rain to defog windows etc... Windows down all day everyday is what I did most often. BTW I'm pretty sure the discharge of freon into the atmosphere is illegal:icon_razz
eric

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
yeah its illegal but i usually test to see if theres any in it then remove them. on my 1g i just stuck a small screw driver into the release button and walked away from it for about 30 min.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
get it drained by a professional. it's not expensive, and you're doing yourself a favor.

i removed mine when i had my engine out, so i really cant say for sure how easy it is with the engine in the car... mine came out super easy.

-shaeff

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
well one of my hoses was already cracked, so luckily i didnt have to hassle with the freon, shops, or the guilt of destroying mother nature.