Relay

Ymh

Jun 5, 2006
Oklahoma
I have a 89 7mgte. i am not getting power to my main relay in the underhood fuse box. does any1 have any ideas that may help?

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
were you messing with anything before this happened?
check in the fuse box under the hood, there is a larger fuse in there that might have blown. i dont remember which one it is, but im pretty sure its blue. if that one blew, then you wont get any power.
sorry for being so unspecific, hope this helps

Ymh

Jun 5, 2006
Oklahoma
ok got more info... its a car that the guy before me ran it into the ground so its just finished getting rebuilt, 89 7mgte . i have fuel but no spark. i have checked some wires and found i have no power to my ignition fuse, main relay and not for sure if am supposed to to have power in the black/red stripe wire but it doesnt have power either. But the black/orange wire has power. The power cable is connect to the starter and the two wires from the underhood fuse box. theres talk of a ground on the firewall but havnt found any detailed info about it.

and i have concern about theses wires here in this pic. before the rebuild if the wires were twisted together then the car would start. i would love some info about these wires. if they are powered when the car is "on" or not and what all these wires go to.
1.jpg

2 black/red stripe
1 black/yellow stripe
1 gray/blueish or greenish stripe

Thanks for any help i can get

Ymh

Jun 5, 2006
Oklahoma
Would i be able to test the power to main relay by removing the relay and testing the ports/slots to see if theres power?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The way it's supposed to work is the ignition switch turns on the ECU and the ECU then turns on the main relay. The black/red wires are +B and +B1, the main switched feeds for the ECU. The black/yellow is BATT, the ECU's keep alive feed from the battery. Twisting it together with the other two circumvents the problem you're now having by putting battery power directly to the ECU, thus bypassing ECU control of the main relay.

Appears the guy never bothered to fix the problem and just hacked it instead. Typical of most POs. Most current owners for that matter. That many here are themselves dreaded POs in the making is why I find PO bashing so amusing. As for your problem the online TEWD has all the answers you're looking for. Still doesn't explain why your fuel pump is running but hey, who knows what else the guy did...

Ymh

Jun 5, 2006
Oklahoma
true, i found alot of crazy halfass things that has been done to this car. its been a pain gettin this car back to a grade A car. thanks for the info

Ymh

Jun 5, 2006
Oklahoma
Am pretty sure am suppose to have power to the ign 7.5 fuse right? well i dont, any ideals? could it be the key switch?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
It's what tells the ECU the ignition switch is on and to turn on the main relay.

Could be the ignition switch, a bad connection, or one of the fusible links. Lower right hand corner:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=036

Note the 30 amp FL AM2 link also supplies power to the 15 amp EFI fuse, which in turn powers the main relay and black/red wires (+B and +B1) you asked about earlier. Since a problem anywhere along that line will cause the ECU to be dead for multiple reasons it appears you're on the right track...

Ymh

Jun 5, 2006
Oklahoma
oh great, i got news about the car from the last owner. he took it to the car wash and washed the engine and it never ran since. think he shorted out the ecu?

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Ymh;1103848 said:
Would the word be "either"
lol just messing with ya

Sorry I just wanted to see if you were sleeping. I got what you were trying to say, I had to read it a couple of times.