relay location

tsparks01

Jun 6, 2008
queens new york
i have a 1990 MK3, i need to find the relay location;

circuit opening relay

fuel pump control relay

and any other relays that have to do with the fuel pump and efi fuse..

i am not getting fuel so i need to chk all these relays and i don't exactly know where they are. also does and one the process of which relays goes on first and where they and what they do. i am like two sec from callinf the junk yard and scraping the car, i have a turbo with the same freaking problem, no fuel..

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Try jumping +B and FP in the diagnostic block with the key ON. Watch fuel pressure gauge, or pull filler cap and listen for the pump.

rj_conerly

Jan 13, 2009
ruffin, nc
starting closest to the battery.
efi fuse 15 amp in fuse box under hood
efi relay circle relay in fuse box under hood
fuel pump relay passenger side of the engine compartment on the top of the strut tower
circuit opening relay (cor) passenger side kickpannel i think its a square top relay but i know for a fact that it has 5 prongs on the inside of it.

i had the same problem and changed the efi relay and the fuel pump relay and it wound up being the cor which is like 120 at the dealership or 135ish at autozone or advanced auto. but i just have a jumper wire on instead of the cor for right now until i can find one for cheaper. but if you decide to srape the n/a hit me up before and i'll get some parts and stuff from ya. but i would hate to see a car go because of something easy to fix no matter how frustrating it was to come up with the answer.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
rj_conerly;1241440 said:
i had the same problem and changed the efi relay and the fuel pump relay and it wound up being the cor which is like 120 at the dealership or 135ish at autozone or advanced auto. but i just have a jumper wire on instead of the cor for right now until i can find one for cheaper. .

This just doesn't sound like it is your best option here! Why not get a used one from one of the many part outs constantly going on?

rj_conerly

Jan 13, 2009
ruffin, nc
ForcedTorque;1241499 said:
This just doesn't sound like it is your best option here! Why not get a used one from one of the many part outs constantly going on?

i am i'm just making a full list of everything that i need for sure so that i can hopefully get it all from the same person and save on shipping. :naughty:

tsparks01

Jun 6, 2008
queens new york
rj_conerly;1241440 said:
fuel pump relay passenger side of the engine compartment on the top of the strut tower
circuit opening relay (cor) passenger side kickpannel i think its a square top relay but i know for a fact that it has 5 prongs on the inside of it.

i had the same problem and changed the efi relay and the fuel pump relay and it wound up being the cor which is like 120 at the dealership or 135ish at autozone or advanced auto. but i just have a jumper wire on instead of the cor for right now until i can find one for cheaper. but if you decide to srape the n/a hit me up before and i'll get some parts and stuff from ya. but i would hate to see a car go because of something easy to fix no matter how frustrating it was to come up with the answer.

thanks bro, this help allot, now let me test and see if there getting power,
also, on my engine compartment fuse panel block some of the amp fuse arnt getting power <any thoughts>

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
tsparks01;1241959 said:
sorry i am not wireing edicuated, can u simplify in bby terms

This is very simple. Just open the little diagnostic box near the engine bay fuse box. On the inside of the cover is a list that shows what each connection is. Use a paper clip to connect +B and FP with the key in the on position. With a Walbro, you'll know right away. A stock pump may take a little effort hear. I believe the TSRM warns not to leave it jumped more than 10 seconds at a time.

tsparks01

Jun 6, 2008
queens new york
ForcedTorque;1241983 said:
This is very simple. Just open the little diagnostic box near the engine bay fuse box. On the inside of the cover is a list that shows what each connection is. Use a paper clip to connect +B and FP with the key in the on position. With a Walbro, you'll know right away. A stock pump may take a little effort hear. I believe the TSRM warns not to leave it jumped more than 10 seconds at a time.

i did the +b fp and the pump kicked on...so now i know the fuel pump works..the efi 15amp fuse is getting power and the is power going to the efi relay, i am just not getting power to the fuel pump relay, i had a spear <cor> from my 87 part out but still no power to the relay...what now..

tsparks01

Jun 6, 2008
queens new york
rj_conerly;1241440 said:

how can i do the same, with the wire. but i dont think its my cor or how i can bypass the cor.

Last edited:

rj_conerly

Jan 13, 2009
ruffin, nc
looking at the where the relay goes in the box it has 5 prongs
1 2
3 4 5
hook a jumper up to 4 and 5 and you should be golden.

rj_conerly

Jan 13, 2009
ruffin, nc
tsparks01;1242039 said:
i did the +b fp and the pump kicked on...so now i know the fuel pump works..the efi 15amp fuse is getting power and the is power going to the efi relay, i am just not getting power to the fuel pump relay, i had a spear <cor> from my 87 part out but still no power to the relay...what now..

this makes me think its the efi relay which if you need a new one its only like 20 bucks at autozone. so thats a lot better than the other 300ish you would spend getting a new pump, fuel pump relay and cor. as far as i can remenber it follows this path. efi fuse, efi relay, fuel pump relay, cor, fuel pump.

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
tsparks01;1242039 said:

You pump turned on and your still not getting fuel??

tsparks01

Jun 6, 2008
queens new york
tbcmorris;1242456 said:
You pump turned on and your still not getting fuel??

the pump tyrned on and was pushing fuel. but no power to the pump factory wise, ill try changing the relay, and c what happens....but ill prouble do it nxt week have to do it nxt week.

tsparks01

Jun 6, 2008
queens new york
jetjock;1242468 said:
I think he means the pump isn't turning on when it normally should. Jumpering the diag block bypasses a bunch of things....

i am also getting a ignitions code error, so i am assuming that since the relay is in the start process, that the ecu is reading the defective relay,,,????

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
jetjock;1242468 said:
I think he means the pump isn't turning on when it normally should. Jumpering the diag block bypasses a bunch of things....

That's what I was tryin to figure out...which would mean the pump is good and the problem is one of the relays, or fuse that are on that circuit.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Here's a jumper for the fuel pump relay. If we jumper them all, you should get fuel, right?:biglaugh:

p1242711_1.jpg

tsparks01

Jun 6, 2008
queens new york
ForcedTorque;1242711 said:
Here's a jumper for the fuel pump relay. If we jumper them all, you should get fuel, right?:biglaugh:

p1242822_1.jpg

i am not getting power there. i checked the main efi relay and it is sending power out but for some reason the fpR is not getting power to open the cor....so what now...

Last edited: