redma70's full motor swap

slightly_red_MA70

Holy S*** I own a Racecar
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
Well stupid me......I forgot to hone the cylinders :3d_frown: :: angry ::

I feel really stupid right now. I'm just wondering if I can take the head off and everything and hone them without damaging anything? I know to crack of the head studs slowly and everything but I'm wondering if the MHG will be ok?

Anyways, some progress has been done on the car itself. Im finishing up the wire tuck right now and I finished making my 'custom' engine harness the other day. I have a little bit of bodywork left to do along with some more cutting to make room for a future Turbo A-Duct. I will try to get pictures later tonight when I'm home.

slightly_red_MA70

Jan 24, 2009
Canada
The pistons and crank are in but not bolted in. My uncle, a licensed mechanic said its okay to do it that way and just slide the bearings in the crank when I get them because I didnt want my head laying around in the garage unprotected.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Ok I'm a bit confused here, so you have the crank and pistons installed just no bearing shells?

What are you going to do if the bearings measure out of spec?

Am I correct that you've torqued the head down?

slightly_red_MA70

Jan 24, 2009
Canada
IJ.;1535485 said:
Ok I'm a bit confused here, so you have the crank and pistons installed just no bearing shells?

What are you going to do if the bearings measure out of spec?

Am I correct that you've torqued the head down?

Yes, crank and pistons are in with no bearing shells;
The crank and everything was already measured and I ordered the correct bearings;
And yes the head is torqued down

slightly_red_MA70

Jan 24, 2009
Canada
Well yeah I know that I have to take it all apart Im not woried about that, but all I'm wondering is; WILL THE METAL HEADGASKET BE OK??

Just like I said in the original post.....

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
redma70;1535523 said:
Well yeah I know that I have to take it all apart Im not woried about that, but all I'm wondering is; WILL THE METAL HEADGASKET BE OK??

Just like I said in the original post.....

Was it brand new? *might* be okay to just reuse, but would be a good idea to strip the coating off of it and spray it with copper sealer.

slightly_red_MA70

Jan 24, 2009
Canada
IJ.;1535493 said:
Sorry I'm stunned/speechless.......

Maybe a little of that.

Anyways the point of me asking that was to get an answer of wether my HG would be ok to re-use or not. I didn't want opinions on how I've put my motor together or anything. Im not trying to start something I'm just saying that when I ask a question I'd like it to be answered instead of having people question everything I've done and making it sound like I'm an idiot for what I have done.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
You took that as a put down?

Sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities but in 30+ years of playing cars/engines I have NEVER seen an engine built in that order and I was just stating my thoughts on the subject, I was in no way trying to make you look like an idiot.

As for your question on the head gasket it's been covered so many times here I didn't think you'd have any trouble at all finding the answer.

Good luck with your project I won't comment on it again.