redlined for a little to long i guess

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
i was releasing some steam with a nice smoky burnout and i sat on my rev limiter for a few seconds (like 3 seconds serisousl) and now the motor ticks:3d_frown: i can only hear it when i have the throttle open.... like when im accelerating. when its idling, cruising, or decelerating at any rpms i cant hear it. but the more i open the throttle up, the louder it is.

it stills runs fine though. starts great, idles great, etc. but i havnt taken it over 3krpms since this happened. any ideas?

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
i just changed the oil two weeks ago so im pretty sure its full but i will check again this afternoon

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
You don't need to bounce it off the rev limiter to do a burnout. Once the tires break loose, it's easy because they get slimy. (street tires)

You should have broken them loose, then throttle on/off to keep the RPM up around4.5-5k max. Then you can steady it out and hold it in one spot. ;)

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
shaeff;1167002 said:
You don't need to bounce it off the rev limiter to do a burnout. Once the tires break loose, it's easy because they get slimy. (street tires)

You should have broken them loose, then throttle on/off to keep the RPM up around4.5-5k max. Then you can steady it out and hold it in one spot. ;)

yeah i know:3d_frown: it was dumb. i rarely redline my car and this is the first time i really hit the rev limiter. i usually short shift to save my motor. but the roads were cold and the tires spun easily and i was watching traffic. i looked down and i was like hmm... haha time to let off the brakes and go somewhere so i dont blow up.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
There are less expensive ways to blow off steam. What's done is done so I won't preach to you, but it sounds like the makings of a knock knock joke.

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
suprahero;1167017 said:
There are less expensive ways to blow off steam. What's done is done so I won't preach to you, but it sounds like the makings of a knock knock joke.

thank you.

any ideas? its just a little tap, almost like a clicking noise.

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Yea...check the oil.

What causes head ticks in Supra's...I know 4.6 Modulars have head ticks when there is insufficient cooling in the heads...especially number 8 cylinder area. Is it the same for the 7M and other Supra motors?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
No - the 7M has a noisy valve train in general. Valve tick is usually incorrect valve clearance or the cam caps are not torqued down correctly (bad).

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
i checked the oil and it is about 1/8th inch over the full line. is that an issue? i did think that was a big deal but you tell me.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Nope...in fact, it's a very good idea. Running a quart over the full mark on the dipstick is cheap insurance against uncovering the oil pump pick-up...an pump that suck air just for a second at high RPM is a good way to cause rod knock.

That's why we asked ;)

Can you tell where on the motor the sound is coming from?
Might want to check the crank dampner bolt is torqued down...195 ft/lbs iirc.

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
jdub;1167205 said:
Nope...in fact, it's a very good idea. Running a quart over the full mark on the dipstick is cheap insurance against uncovering the oil pump pick-up...an pump that suck air just for a second at high RPM is a good way to cause rod knock.

That's why we asked ;)

Can you tell where on the motor the sound is coming from?
Might want to check the crank dampner bolt is torqued down...195 ft/lbs iirc.

195ft/lbs? wow lol. i dont think i have a torque wrench that powerful but i will check

where is the crank dampener bolt anyway

Last edited:

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
supraGhost;1167266 said:
where is the crank dampener bolt anyway

The main crank pulley...the one with the timing index mark on it...the bolt in the middle ;)
It's called a dampner.

Might want to listen to where exactly the ticking is coming from...a stethoscope would help.

williamb82;1167279 said:
sounds like rod knock to me. prolly sucked the oil pan dry during your stunt and nicked some bearings.

Not likely will an over full crankcase...especially for such a short time. Unless, you were doing donuts during the burnout.

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
williamb82;1167279 said:
sounds like rod knock to me. prolly sucked the oil pan dry during your stunt and nicked some bearings.

cant you hear rod knock during idle? or even at higher rpms when cruising? i can ONLY hear it when im accelerating.

and yeah the burnout was only a few seconds... the motor was at full operating temperature

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
the first stage of my rodknock i only heard it at light throttle between 2k to about 3k. other than that it never made a peep. when accelerating there was too much load on the bearing. but at light throttle it would somewhat float around making a knock knock. here is a vid of my first motor in my old car with what i would call the first stage of rodknock. listen closely at the very beginning. i thought it was so fast. LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05Q1LEheVRc

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
jdub;1167296 said:
Might want to listen to where exactly the ticking is coming from...a stethoscope would help.

You can also use a hose, screwdriver, long extension, etc. as a stethoscope.

Try to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from.