Redline Tuning's Quicklifts for carbon fiber hoods and OEM style hoods...

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
http://www.redlinetuning.com/products_quicklift.html

There isn't anything made for the MKIII yet, but that doesn't mean that there couldn't be with some interest shown from the community ;).

What's so important about this company in particular? It appears that they make a full bolt-on kit for each individual car they offer the quicklifts on.

The main reason I posted this wasn't for an alternative to worn OEM struts as MKIII enthusiasts in general are cheap bastards and wouldn't fork out the money for an OEM replacement from these guys as you can go out and find one cheaper somewhere's else. The reason was because they are making hood struts for cars with Carbon fiber/fiberglass hoods.

What does that mean for you? No more Supra-stick, or trying to get by with using a blown strut, hoping that it will either hold the hood up, or not crack the hood when you close it. These struts are charged with less gas in them during the manufacturing process just for carbon fiber and fiberglass hoods.

I just thought I'd post this up for those of you who have a carbon fiber/fiberglass hood, I'd try to contact these guys and express your interest in some struts made just for the MKIII with the option of either OEM strength struts, or weaker ones for lighter, aftermarket hoods ;).

They also have two variants of struts to offer, one comes with a 2 year warranty, the other comes with a 4 year warranty.

Drop them a line if you are interested fellas, maybe one of the vendors on here will pick these guys up and be able to offer a slightly better deal than the average Joe Blow comming up to them wanting to buy a set...

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I don't understand what the problem is. Hood struts aren't that expensive. If I remember correctly, I paid $20 ea back in 2004 for my struts.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Ever used properly working OEM hood struts on a carbon fiber hood? Did you read my entire post?

These are geared towards people with non-OEM hoods :3d_frown:.

You will crack a $700.00 hood with your $40.00 stock struts there buddy ;).

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
starscream5000;889067 said:
Ever used properly working OEM hood struts on a carbon fiber hood? Did you read my entire post?

These are geared towards people with non-OEM hoods :3d_frown:.

You will crack a $700.00 hood with your $40.00 stock struts there buddy ;).

The QuickLIFT's purpose found at http://www.redlinetuning.com/products_quicklift.html

"Our hood QuickLIFT systems are designed to lift and hold your hood without the need for the front-mounted prop rod. Simply start to raise your hood and our QuickLIFT system will take over mid-way to raise your hood unassisted."

Per their FAQs regarding aftermarket hoods: http://www.redlinetuning.com/QL-tips.html#AftermarketHoods

"We design our QuickLIFTs to fit the stock hood and fender, unless specified in the kit. That means that we have carefully calculated what gas-spring length, force and size is required to lift and hold the hood up, along with the correct bracket geometry and mounting locations so that the QuickLIFT fits without interference."

Given the excerpt aboves, though QuickLIFT kits may be installed on aftermarket lightweight CF/Fiberglass (aftermarket) hoods, the QuickLIFT is geared towards OEM hoods, not aftermarket hoods. Redline does not even warrantly kits for aftermarket applications.

"Our warranty does not support kits for aftermarket hood applications"

They were designed with the OEM specifications in mind. With the QuickLIFT, there's no assurance that the CF/Fiberglass hood will not bow/bend at the closed position, as it often does with OEM hood struts.

Besides, aftermarket hoods are meant for weight savings. Often, hoods struts too are removed (for added weight savings.):thumbup:

*edited on 2/5/2008*

I contacted Redline and inquired about the Quicklifts. For future reference, here is their response.

Brian - Redline Tuning said:
Hello,

If your vehicle comes with hood lifts from the factory, we will never be creating a QuickLIFT system for that vehicle (zero market for the product). I would recommend purchasing gas springs from the dealer or other auto parts store since we will not be able to provide our product. We also do not have a universal kit available - with over 30 gas springs, 25 mounting brackets and endless other mounting methods at our disposal, every vehicle is different with different mounting and spring requirements.

Sorry we cannot help out. We specialize in QuickLIFT systems specifically designed for vehicles.

Brian
Redline Tuning

Last edited: