redline tranny and lsd fluid???????

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Im about to do install a spec atage 3 clutch and xtd flywheel this weekend ......weird combination but what the hell i ll give it a try.....question is whata good tranny fuid and lsd fluid to change while im down there .....local shop here has redline mt and redline 75w 80 or something like that .....are these the ones i need or any suggestions would be really appreciated :1zhelp:

Disco Stu

Unaturally Aspirated
Apr 6, 2005
Forth Worth
I used Redline Lightweight Shockproof when I put my Spec St.3 in with my rebuild and it works well. Redline MTL, and Royal Purple Synchromax are also highly reccomended for the R154. In my diff I used 75w90, but you must remember to add LSD additive. I just bought the synthetic CRC stuff I found at the auto parts store, but the Ford branded stuff from the dealer is touted to be the best possible solution. Just changing out the diff made such a huge difference in the way my car feels in all situations!

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
what lsd additive....if im going with redline 75w90 on the lsd.....anybody know what this is or if i need it...

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
ok then im going with redline mt for the tranny and the 75w90 wich already has the lsd friction modifier .... and how many of each for the tranny and how many for the lsd....

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
Personal note- I didn't like the redline 75-90 as after a little while the rear started to hum. (I added the friction modifier at the time of the oil change) When i tore the rear appart, the edges of the pinion and ring gear looked a bit more worn - noticeably more than before i changed to redline and more than the other rear that i had. I went back to a conventional oil and it was much quieter. YMMV, but i have read of others reporting the same issue with redline in the rear...

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
let's have some fact:

-redline 75w90 DOES have a friction modifier in it. personally, i've found it to be too much for the aging A70 diffs (i.e. slips too much, minimal LSD action...).

-redline 75w90NS does NOT have a friction modifier (NS = no slip).

-redline MTL (70w80) is lighter than MT-90 (75w90).

now for my advice:
-fill the diff w/75w90NS, drive around a bit until the diff starts making noise (cracking, popping, etc. the noise is the clutchpacks doing thier thing). add DROPS of the ford friction modifier until the diff quiets down.

-personally, i recommend redline heavy shockproof for the trans (provided you use it in warm climates...). it should allow for longer life due to its "cushioning" abilities. FWIW, i've NEVER broken an R154 using this oil.....over 200 drag strip passes, most on DRs (1.8 60'), most in the 12s.

just my $2.....take it FWIW....

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
so doc the redline heavy duty shockproof is the mt-90 ??? and ill see which redline fluids they have available for the lsd in the store i went to ....