Redline heavy duty shock proof in tranny ???

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Because we have an outdated syncro material.....has very specific oil requirements and most trans oils now have friction modifiers...there are few oils avalible that are fine to use for our transmissions mt90 just happens to be one of them! Majority of trans oils today stop the syncros from working their best and will actually cause them to corrode!

Don't try and get fancy with oil...all these oils today are made for "todays" cars....not yesturdays! Read the oil section of the forum and it will go into much more detail than I can....but redline mt-90 is damn good oil and matches the w-58/r-154 requirements to a T.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
mk3ukr;1393214 said:
Why not? This is manual transmission oil.
http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=7

Ummm...Heavy ShockProof is a differential oil...it is a GL-5 and has friction modifiers in it's formualtion. Not good for a manual tranny at all.

I can see using Light ShockProof in a manual tranny, but MT-90 is a better option IMO for a drive train running 400+ HP due to it's higher viscosity...for stock HP or a bit above, MTL would work well without the fluid friction loss. The Light ShockProof would be appropriate for a moderate HP car, especially if you subject the tranny to drag launches.

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
I started using HD shockproof 75w240 4 years ago after hearing about all these problems with thrust washer. Never had problems since then. 2 years ago transmission was rebuilt, didn't see any signs of synchros corrosion.
I absolutely agree this thick oil is only for drag launches, not for the car intended as daily driver only.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
mk3ukr;1393503 said:
I started using HD shockproof 75w240 4 years ago after hearing about all these problems with thrust washer. Never had problems since then. 2 years ago transmission was rebuilt, didn't see any signs of synchros corrosion..

How would a gear oil heavier than MT-90 help with thrust washer issues? Especially in a cold climate?

Regardless of your visual inspection of the synchros, no way I would run a gear oil with friction modifiers meant for an LSD in a manual tranny.

BTW - your original statement was this:
mk3ukr;1393214 said:
Why not? This is manual transmission oil.

Now it changed to this:
mk3ukr;1393503 said:
I absolutely agree this thick oil is only for drag launches, not for the car intended as daily driver only.

No matter which way you look at it Heavy ShockProof is a differential oil, not a manual tranny gear oil. Your 2nd statement is also very specific about use of this oil...I didn't see where the OP asked about a gear oil for use with a drag launch ;)

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Bri7man;1393891 said:
Where can mt-90 be purchased? I don't think popular autoparts stores carry them other than maybe NAPA?

I kept saying I was going to order and save money but kept putting it off so I paid like $4 more per bottle at a local shop.

Summit racing has it though pretty cheap if you can wait adn order it.

Otherwise, ask redline where the nearest dealer is.

/spoon feeding

Bri7man

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."
Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
mk3ukr;1393911 said:
Here is RedLine technical leaflet explaining why shockproof oil superior in handling heavy thrust load
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/downloads/ShockproofGearOil.pdf

Read that long ago...don't you think that I would have before I posted previously?

Vald - Where does it say anything in that pamphlet about thrust loads? If you are going to back up what you say, at least use info that supports it. Heavy ShockProof is not appropriate for for the R154. Just because you used it doesn't make it right...you seriously need to rethink your position on this.

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
jdub;1393222 said:
Ummm...Heavy ShockProof is a differential oil...it is a GL-5 and has friction modifiers in it's formualtion. Not good for a manual tranny at all.

I can see using Light ShockProof in a manual tranny, but MT-90 is a better option IMO for a drive train running 400+ HP due to it's higher viscosity...for stock HP or a bit above, MTL would work well without the fluid friction loss. The Light ShockProof would be appropriate for a moderate HP car, especially if you subject the tranny to drag launches.

So for a 600hp car that i daily drive BUT do occasionally launch hard on the weekends, do i use full MT-90, Full light shockproof, or a Mix of Both ?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Don't mix them...either will work fine. Keep in mind, durability will suffer with the Light ShockProof...it is meant for race applications where parts are replaced/refurbished on a set basis. The document posted above makes specific mention of that.

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
jdub;1394090 said:
Don't mix them...either will work fine. Keep in mind, durability will suffer with the Light ShockProof...it is meant for race applications where parts are replaced/refurbished on a set basis. The document posted above makes specific mention of that.

Kool.... MT-90 it is... i need Durability at this point

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Okay, whats a good cheap gear oil to use in the trans?

My trans has been sitting for years so i want to run cheap oil for a couple thousand miles and then switch over. :)

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
jdub;1394021 said:
Vald - Where does it say anything in that pamphlet about thrust loads? If you are going to back up what you say, at least use info that supports it. Heavy ShockProof is not appropriate for for the R154. Just because you used it doesn't make it right...you seriously need to rethink your position on this.

It is on the bottom of the left column
"The most significant improvement comes with the ability
to operate in extreme pressure regions with nearly
three-times the load which can be handled with a
conventional petroleum gear oil"
It can be gear teeth contact area or surface of thrust washer working against side of the first gear
Though comparing it to "conventional petroleum gear oil" is not fair :icon_bigg , they should compare synthetic vs. synthetic.