Recipe Thread.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
...this time, its just a simple dinner that'll feed two people quite happily.

All you need is:

1 large, mild chorizo sausage (dry cured)
1 large onion
1 large red bell pepper
1 tin of plum tomato's OR half carton of passata
Paprika
Garlic
Salt & Pepper

Medium saucepan with lid.

First - chop the onions into medium segments and sweat them off in a pan with a little oil or butter - use the lid on the pan!

stage1.jpg

Leave the onions to sweatand chop up the bell pepper and chorizo. Cut the pepper into small chunks and the chorizo into small slices:

stage2.jpg

Add the red pepper to the onions and keep sweating them off for a few more minutes. Add a pinch of salt and a good bit of coarse ground black pepper (pepper mill):

stage3.jpg

At this point, if you're not using passata, take your plum tomatoes and chop them up into small chunks, and put into a bowl to one side, with the juice:

stage4.jpg

Now that your veg has been sweated off, add two heaped teaspoons of paprika, 1 glove of finely chopped garlic (or use dried, from the spice rack):

stage5.jpg

Add the chorizo and mix in thoroughly, leave to sweat for a further 10 minutes before adding either your passata or the chopped tomatoes:

stage6.jpg

Leave on a low heat for 5 minutes and serve.

I chose to have it with some lemon & coriander couscous, but a baked potato or rice work work equally well:

stage7.jpg

Enjoy :)

Jun 6, 2006
Amerika
www.dreamertheresa.com
This one's easy:

Thawed chicken breasts
Can of Campell's Cream of Chicken and Herb soup
Half of that can of water

Mix in baking pan.
Bake at 370 degrees for 40 minutes.

Green bean casserole is easy and awesome, too.

Two cans green beans, drained
One can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup
splash of milk
pepper (best if freshly ground)

Mix.
Heat in oven 'til warm.

Cover in french fried onions (optional).
Broil for 5 minutes.

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
Is that a toilet seat? Looks like a pile of shit. Enjoy!

Kraft mac n cheese

Boil the water.
Add the noodles to the water.
Boil until they're done.
Strain.
Add 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup milk.
Stir
Add the powdered cheese.
Stir

Enjoy.

Last edited:

suprahooked

Built 7M
Jun 20, 2006
pa
Homemade apple pie

Dough
2 cups flour
8 tlbs ice water
sprinkle sugar
1 cup crisco
mix flour flour, sugar,crisco in bowl then add water dont mix to much then roll out dough.
Add sliced apple (real skinned apples), 1 cup sugar
bake 350 for 1 hour.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Salmon .
Use a oven proof pan .
Grease pan well with oil or butter or margarine.
Fish , filet is good but the open filet of a trout will also be OK if you cook for yourself .

Use fish seasoning
put fish in pan
Sprinkle with fish seasoning. If do not have some, use butter mixed with cayenne power and your hot chilli powder as well.
Like 4 oz of butter with 2 tablespoon of fish seasoning cayenne /chilli powder. Add brown sugar to this mixture , like 3 tablespoons. I say the more the tastier.
Rub this on fish , leave to marinate for at least 30mins . If you use Fish seasoning , do not add salt.

Warm oven 200C.
when near time for dinner, put this fish in the oven and bake for 25-30mins at 350C in a flat pan covered w/ aluminum foil. Once salmon has cooked check to see if its done if it breaks into layers w/ a fork. Before sitting every one down at table , turn off oven , put on broiler on and broil fish for 5 mins just burn and make fish crusty without the foil cover. Make sure you drain off some of the good juices and from pan so you dont burn all of this sauce.
Carefull w/ the oil being so close to the broiler because it will catch on fire so WATCH IT.
Serve with lemon slices to squeeze the juice on to fish before eating.

I just made this a few hours ago for a friend, instant mash potatoes and a good white whine and your set. Bachelors need to know how to cook :naughty:

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
It worries me how many of these recipes call for CANS of fruit/veg/soup

Is fresh food really that hard to come by (or expensive), or is it a time thing (ie - quicker to use cans)?

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I meant to put this up last night, but tiredness set in...

This is my spiced pork and chick pea....um...'thing'. I invented it out of desperation (only had pork to work with!) and its quickly become one of my favourite things to make in the kitchen.

To start off with you need this:

Pork&

From left to right, you have....cucumber, tomato, half a white onion (red preferred though), sea salt, dried garlic, paprika, cumin, chilli powder/cayenne mix, extra virgin olive oil, dried parsley and coarse ground black pepper. The main ingredient in this, is of course, meat. In my case, i'm using two pork shoulder chops - they cost me £1.60 for the pair and they seem to be far more succulent than a regular pork chop.

Also, the chick pea's are optional but i think its much, much better to have them. I used the left over 2oz or so from making the homous to go with it. I also forgot to show the lemon, which was sitting next to the cooker at the time - it is essential you have one!!

To start with, slice the pork into strips about 2 to 3 inches long and half an inch wide. Make sure you get rid of any excess bone fragments which you'll get on this cut of meat, crunchy is not the goal!

stage2.jpg

Once this is done, get out your wok, and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Bring upto high heat and add some coarse ground black pepper and a big pinch of sea salt. Leave the wok on a high heat. It has to be blisteringly hot!

stage3.jpg

Add the herbs and spices to your meat in the following quantities - one large pinch of salt, 1 heaped teaspoon of black pepper, 1 heaped teaspoon of paprika, 1 heaped tablespoon of cumin, 1 level teaspoon of dried garlic, 2 heaped teaspoons of the chilli powder/cayenne mixed & 1 tablespoon of parsley.

stage4.jpg

Mix this into your meat, but before doing so, you want to add a big squeeze of fresh lemon juice in order to both flavour it and bind it.

stage5.jpg

Once mixed, your wok should be plenty hot enough, so all that remains is for you to dump it in, being careful not to splash hot oil all over yourself...

stage6.jpg

After about 5 minutes, the meat should have started to brown nicely. Add your chickpeas at this point and make sure to stir them in thoroughly. Turn the meat over whilst you're doing this.

stage7.jpg

While thats cooking, knock up a small side salad. I only had a white onion to hand, but you ideally want to use a red onion. Still, slice the tomato's in half, then slice again to make sizeable thick wedges. The onion, you want to do finely, and layer those on top. Thick chunks of cucumber next to it after that. Once done, drizzle over a little olive oil and add a small squeeze of lemon juice. You can also add a Jalapeno chilli, although i think i've run out them, hence why none is present on the plate. Sprinkle some sea salt over the tomato and onion, and a little black pepper over the cucumber.

stage8.jpg

By this point your pork and chickpeas should be done - decant into a bowl or onto a plate if you prefer (i find it easier to use a pasta bowl).

Ding! It's ready!

I've served it with a large dollop of homous on the salad, and i warmed up some Pita bread in the oven to have with it....

stage9.jpg

Now go forth and Nom :D

Last edited:

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
LilMissMkIII;781853 said:
It worries me how many of these recipes call for CANS of fruit/veg/soup

Is fresh food really that hard to come by (or expensive), or is it a time thing (ie - quicker to use cans)?
It's quicker.

My Easy Asian Chicken Stir Fry recipe:

1 can stir-fry vegetables (just go to food world; its there)
*1 can baby corn
*1 can bamboo shoots
2 Chicken breasts
1/2 bottle of Stir fry sauce

*=optional

Veggies and sauce into fry pan. cook for 10 minutes. slice chicken and add. cook for 8-10 minutes. Eat. Refrigerate leftovers. Nuke leftovers. Eat again for lunch.

How about some chili? I'm not posting the amounts because I don't remember them; I always just eyeballed it at store.

Ground Beef
Tomato Sauce
Tomatoes (the canned ones actually work really good for this)
Onions
Chili Powder
few red peppers
Salt
Liquid Smoke seasoning
Gatorade Lime Powder (I shit you not. This is a long kept secret recipe that won my boy scout patrol every chili cookoff)

Cook the beef, then dump everything else in. I'll let you guess the amounts, but with the gatorade, we used like Full tablespoon (get a nice full scoop) per lb of beef.

Easy Pico de gallo. Great for parties, etc.

once again, you do the proportions that you like. I usually lean towards lots of onion.

Rough chopped Roma tomatoes (get big chunks, little chunks, all kinds of chunks)
Salt
Vidalia onions (i don't chop these so roughly, but dont go tiny either)
FRESH cilantro (do NOT get cilantro from the spice aisle, get it at fresh food section) (take the whole bunch, rinse it, and chop off nice big wads of it, and kinda crush it a little in your hand before tossing it in.)
Salt
Fresh Limes (squeeze the juice into the mix, but go ahead and cut out some of the meat of it too)
Did I say salt yet? (it takes a LOT. Your salt shaker doesnt hold enough, trust me. you want a VERY hyperosmotic environment). You won't add any fluid aside from some lime juice, but the salt should pull out enough water that it is all nearly suspended in fluid.

Wanna make it interesting? Liquid Smoke seasoning is your friend, once again.

OK, For something serious

Ingredients:

Beef Skirt Steak aka Flank Steak
Vidalia Onions (get the biggest ones you can find)

The Marinade: (all fresh if possible)
Lime juice
Cilantro
Worcestershire sauce
Cumin (lots)(very important)(Epic fail if you don't have it)
Liquid Smoke (great stuff, use sparingly tho)
Olive oil

Cut the steak into grillable pieces, mix the marinade in a big ziplock bag, and put the steak in the bag.
KEY POINT: The longer you can let it marinade, better it will taste, BUT the longer you let it marinade, use less lime juice and more oil (the oil is to the cut the lime juice, and for some reason it seems to do better than water :shrug: ). Don't marinade it more than a day.

no more than half an hour before you cook, slice the onions into nice thick slices and put them in a container with marinade.

Two paths from here: Either grill all of it (my preferred method), or slice it all up and make fajitas (if you gonna go that route, grab some bell peppers).

If you grill it, be a Man, don't cook it past medium-rare. As for the onions, roast them bitches. Char the hell outta them, but don't cook'em too fast or they won't be cooked all the way. While they cooking, put more marinade on them. (do this to the meat too. I just use a clean cloth to sponge juice onto it all)

Enjoy.

Last edited:

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
MMmmm... This is making me hungry, and it's only 9:45am!!!!!!!!!!

I'll post up some of my receipes tonight when I get home!

Kai, thanks for starting this thread again!!!!! :D

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Today, i saw two of the most incredible bargains in the village butchers....one was a WHOLE DUCK for £11.59 - 4kg in weight, sans giblets & feathers but with head/neck attacked.

Secondly, there was a deal on pork in there today, with 9 'escalopes' for a fiver

Bargain!

Only problem now, is tidying up the duck now i've chopped its head off...i still haven't gotten rid of all the neck and windpipe :(

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
wow! this thread is awesome. I took a couple of courses on culinary arts, i must post some of my creations. i will keep this thread in mind :icon_bigg

06 Shaker

4.6wut?
Mar 15, 2008
WI
Some bavarian food for you...a variation of jaeger-eintopf (hunter's stew)

You will need:
1 1/2 cups minced onion
1/2 lb. sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 lb. coarse ground, lean beef
1/2 lb thick pork round, cut into 1" cubes
1 cup beef broth
5/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 large potatoes
3 tablespoons butter
2 large eggs
4 tart apples
1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs

The ground beef should only be ground once and be the leanest you can get.

In a frying pan sautee the onions and mushrooms in vegetable oil until soft. Add the ground beef and sautee mixture 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the beef broth and bring to a simmer. Add 1/2 t nutmeg, the worcestershire sauce, 1/2 t salt, and 1/4 t pepper. Peel the potatoes and boil them in salted water until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and put through a food mill or grinder. Beat in 2 T butter, 1/2 t salt, 1/4 t pepper. Adjust seasonings to taste. Beat inthe eggs and remaining nutmeg. Peel, core, and slice the apples. Layer mixtures in a 1 1/2-quart buttered baking dish. Spread 1/3 of potatoes on bottom of dish. Top with 1/2 of the meat mixture and 1/2 of the apples. Continue with layers, ending with a layer of potatoes. Sprinkle the top with bread crumbs, and dot with remaining butter. Bake at 375F for 45 minutes and then at 400F for 10 minutes more.

I find that a pint or two of Hofbraeuhaus original beer goes well with this meal. The recipe will serve 3-4.

I have tons of bavarian recipes if anyone has interest in hearing more of them.

savannahashlee

I AM A CHICK :)
Jan 15, 2008
PDX (Oregon)
Cevapcici (Serbian sausage)
Ingredients

* 1 lb ground Lamb
* 1 lb ground Veal
* 1 lb ground Pork
* 1 large yellow onion, peeled and grated
* 3 cloves garlic -- peeled and crushed
* 3 tbsp hot Hungarian paprika, or sweet paprika and a little Cayenne
* 2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
* salt to taste
* Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
* olive oil for basting

[edit]

yoghurt Sauce

* 1 pint yoghurt
* 1/2 cucumber, peeled, grated and drained 1 hour
* 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
* Juice of 1/2 lemon
* salt and ground white pepper to taste
* Pinch of cayenne pepper

[edit]

Directions

Mix all the ingredients, except the oil, thoroughly and roll the mixture into
little "cigars" about 1 inch by 3 inches. Rub lightly with olive oil and grill
or broil until done. These are great on the barbecue. Serve with yoghurt sauce.

Dracov

Base model n00b
Oct 21, 2006
Broomfield, CO
This is one I make on occasion. It's a medieval era recipe, only slightly modified from the original.

Icelandic Chicken

Ingredients:
Boneless skinless chicken breast
Bacon
Fresh sage leaves
Bread dough

Take the chicken breasts, cover with a layer of sage leaves, top and bottom.
Then wrap with strips of bacon.
Then wrap in a thin layer of bread dough. For simplicity I tend to use Pillsbury crescent roll dough because it's already the right thickness, easy to work with and the flavour compliments the rest of the dish.

After they're fully wrapped, place in a glass casserole dish and bake at 375 for about 45 minutes until the bread darkens.