rebuild or swap? opinions please.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
I have a 89 turbo with 165k on it. Its a pretty healthy engine after i just did all the maintnance on it. It is probably due for a rebuild before i start putting more mods on it. I dont want to spen all my money in mods and then have it blow up on me. So i have came down to a decision, my clutch is slipping on my r154 so most likely going to pull the engine and tranny out together (this is supposed to be easier?). When its out id figure on saving some time and just rebuild it while its out. Or was thinking about going 1j. I havent figured the costs out but i did some estimating and i think it is pretty close between the swap or rebuild the 7m. I do like the 7m i believe its a strong motor and can handle the power i want to achieve, 500hp to the wheels eventually. I am going to have to let it sit while i save up some cash so im trying to figure out what i would do. 1j or rebuilt 7m let me know what you guys would do.. Thanks

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
SupraOfDoom;1343598 said:
Rebuild. Nothing healthier then a freshly rebuilt motor. With 1JZ's you could be running into all sorts of unknown issues.

Rebuild every time, why buy someone else's trouble?

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
Yea that was the downside to the swap, you never know what condition it was in before. At least i know mine is running good and its healthy.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
I'd also like to know how hard or complicated the 7m is to rebuild, i find it fairly easy to work on, well lets just say not too complicated, but i havent really gotten into the block internals. I know all of the clearances are tighter and i have never rebuilt a 7m let alone a foreign motor. I was wanting to do it myself because i do not trust many shops here!

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Here's what I would do...................A Compression Test! If that is good, I'd leave the motor alone, and just do the clutch. Then you will have money to do some mods, and possibly some left over for a good tune. If it is not healthy, I'd pull them together, and then decide which motor you want. Even if you get a 1JZ swap, you will still need to know it is good before you ever slap it in the car and call it reliable. You may still have to put a head gasket on it, or do a rebuild once you get that. I say stay 7M, and do it right the first time without any short cuts.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
So if compressions good in all cylinders keep running it? Im looking to get a bigger turbo and hopefully shoot for 350-500whp,in between there. And it will hold up on the 7m with those high miles?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
stock hg? just run a 57 trim, lex afm, 550s, boost controller and a fuel controller, wideband, afpr.

once you hg goes after that rebuild.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
Yep thats everything that i was planning on getting actually besides the lex afm, do i need that? And i was going to get maft pro or safc. But i just did the hg a month ago, its the titan 1.4mm mhg and replaced a bunch of gaskets and hoses. Got a 3" exhaust w/ hi flow cat and bic ddp, and an intake thats about all for mods right now. I just had new tires put on and when i got the car back from the shop the clutch was slipping and i lost all of my coolant from a bypass hose that looked like it was stabbed. All i have had is bad luck with the car but i still love it, except the only race ive had, beat the crx by 3 lengths, stock boost and he had the b20 with some mods.

hvyman;1343741 said:
stock hg? just run a 57 trim, lex afm, 550s, boost controller and a fuel controller, wideband, afpr.

once you hg goes after that rebuild.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
*james*;1343753 said:
Yep thats everything that i was planning on getting actually besides the lex afm, do i need that? And i was going to get maft pro or safc. But i just did the hg a month ago, its the titan 1.4mm mhg and replaced a bunch of gaskets and hoses. Got a 3" exhaust w/ hi flow cat and bic ddp, and an intake thats about all for mods right now. I just had new tires put on and when i got the car back from the shop the clutch was slipping and i lost all of my coolant from a bypass hose that looked like it was stabbed. All i have had is bad luck with the car but i still love it, except the only race ive had, beat the crx by 3 lengths, stock boost and he had the b20 with some mods.

If you just did a metal HG job a month ago, why would you rebuild the engine now? You should of done that when you did the HG job. Its like taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

I would do what you should of done a month ago, check your compression and go from their. For your goals your internals should be fine on a healthy engine.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
get a rebuilt 2jz.

7m rebuilt with good parts would get you to the same price range as a good 2jz swap in most cases.

^ + 1

There is no reason to rebuild a M series Engine And not Do a metal head gasket. And at the same time there is no reason to do a Metal head gasket, if you Choose not to rebuild the engine.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Ya, why not get a 2JZ..............it'll even make your balls grow bigger at no extra charge.

There's plenty of guys who blame the 7M for their 7M failure, and steer you to the JZ motors, but no matter what you do, you have to pay to play. Why buy an expensive motor when you already have one. There are plenty of guys here who get just as much power out of their properly done 7M.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
pimptrizkit;1343765 said:
get a rebuilt 2jz.

7m rebuilt with good parts would get you to the same price range as a good 2jz swap in most cases.

^ + 1

There is no reason to rebuild a M series Engine And not Do a metal head gasket. And at the same time there is no reason to do a Metal head gasket, if you Choose not to rebuild the engine.

I just did the mhg because the hg was blown and a mhg was recommended. The 7m is known for blowing head gaskets so i got the head milled and a thicker and more reliable hg to keep the compression that it had.. This is my first supra so im still learning, your right i probably should of rebuilt it then, but it's running fine besides the clutch started slipping, before that i was more worried about other problems it had. I'll do the compression check tomorrow and see what i come up with. I just wasn't sure being my first supra how long and how hard to push the engine with that many miles on it?

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
So im going to get a new clutch and keep the 7m and rebuild it what i should of done first, then i wouldnt of had so much trouble, thats what i was planning on doing first anyways because the motor was supposedly rod knocked, said the previous owner. Turned out it wasn't so i went for different plans and now im back to where i was. Well i have learned from my mistakes.