Rear Window Wiper - Having Trouble Removing.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Hi all, the rear wiper in my car stopped working. I'm pretty sure the relay box on the motor is to blame, but I cant remove it without removing entire motor.

The problem is that the wiper arm and the splined shaft it mounts to have rusted together. I have put a decent amount of pressure on it to no avail, I have soaked it in WD-40 repetitively and that has done nothing.

Has anyone had this problem and found a good solution to it? Or, does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You did remove the nut, right?

Beyond that, I pop mine up and then wiggle back and forth from there. If that doesn't work you can use a battery terminal puller...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm removing the arm from the hatch of my 87 Supra. There is a large thin nut (24 mm?) under the arm. I'm guessing that isn't what I need to take off. Does the black back cover pop off? Don't want to wreck anything prying a cover off that I shouldn't...

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
Grandavi;1965872 said:
Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm removing the arm from the hatch of my 87 Supra. There is a large thin nut (24 mm?) under the arm. I'm guessing that isn't what I need to take off. Does the black back cover pop off? Don't want to wreck anything prying a cover off that I shouldn't...

Right above the big nut your talking about there is a cover there that wil fold back once you pop it loose then right there looking up at you will be the nut to actually remove the wiper arm. If memory serves me right it will be a 10 mm.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Great! Thanks, simple and quick. Will pop up a photo shortly for anyone wondering same thing later on.

UPDATE: Simple... was a tad rust welded to the "spindle", but it came off in good order after a little jiggling...

IMG_0642.JPG

Last edited: