rear tire wear

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
devrainey;1532248 said:
well i got the idea that i could align it with a tape as well because in the tsrm, that was one of the methods it showed. I found another shop that will do it for me for 60, I also know the guys fairly well so i may can get it even cheaper. One idea that seemed a little off but i thought may work as well, is to get white shoe polish, put on the tires and drive the car a very short distance and see were it is worn off the most. Its a primitive way but it seemed feasible for a "redneck alternative":biglaugh:

i would just take it to a alignment shop 60s not bad at all just get the sheet that tells you how striaght it is after the alignment...

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
RockPaperSwoRD;1531334 said:
you cant do it yourself. its measured by a machine

Actually you can do some adjustments your self. The camber and toe in/ out you can do your self, you can get close, but you can't get exact. You just can't do, steering inclination (for the front of course) or castor at least to my knowledge.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

dubsupra209;1532264 said:
i would just take it to a alignment shop 60s not bad at all just get the sheet that tells you how striaght it is after the alignment...

Yeah get a before and after sec sheet.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Koenigturbo;1532314 said:
Actually you can do some adjustments your self. The camber and toe in/ out you can do your self, you can get close, but you can't get exact. You just can't do, steering inclination (for the front of course) or castor at least to my knowledge.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Yeah get a before and after sec sheet.

Ever aligned an a70?

Good luck on getting ANY adjustment "right" without moving/affecting something else ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
honestabe;1532671 said:
Technically you can align your car with some string and a couple special gauges, but it'll take a long time to do and you better know what you're doing. This is what NASCAR teams use to align their cars. I have a write-up saved on how to do it with string laying around somewhere. Personally, I'd just take it to a shop with an alignment booth.

HUGE difference between a double a arm IRS car and a Nascar....:nono:

I'd love to see someone try to do a 4 wheel alignment on an a70 and then check the results on a rack....

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Danger here being one of the N00b's is going to see your post and think "Hey I'll give it a go I have strings".......

It's bad enough some of the muppets think it's too expensive to get the car aligned correctly and would rather throw tires at it every 4k miles :nono:

I have friends that own a suspension shop so I get hands on doing my car and it's a PITA at the best of times.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
NASCAR used double A-arms in the front and they're aligned with shims (in other words, set it and forget it).

Yes, using a measuring tape is a good skill to have so you can align it well enough to drive it to the alignment shop...

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
IJ.;1532357 said:
Ever aligned an a70?

Good luck on getting ANY adjustment "right" without moving/affecting something else ;)

Aligned an a 70? No..... but I was trying to illustrate that in a pinch you can do it my way as Poodles had said, just enough to get it to the shop. Does this not work for an a70?,... well I guess not.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Koenigturbo;1532926 said:
Aligned an a 70? No..... but I was trying to illustrate that in a pinch you can do it my way as Poodles had said, just enough to get it to the shop. Does this not work for an a70?,... well I guess not.

I just drive the car slowly to the shop after eyeballing it so all 4 wheels point more or less in the correct direction, total waste of time and effort doing anything else.....

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
I've don't this to my rear right tire....came out of alignment so I eyeballed it back then the next morning got it aligned and I shit you not I was 1 degree out:)

devrainey

your a "*****"
Jan 13, 2010
George County Ms
ok went and got my car aligned by my friend eddie and i got everything in spec except the rear pass tire. we couldn get the toe completely into spec. It is out by 1.5 degrees and we cannot get it in

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
devrainey;1535189 said:
no there is no alteration to the suspension. I do have 18s on the rear with 225,55,r18 as the tire size though so it does sit a little high.

You have 225/55-18's???? That's a massive sidewall for that size rim. With that size rim you should have something like a 225/35 (or 40)-18. Please tell me you're going to remove that wing too.

devrainey

your a "*****"
Jan 13, 2010
George County Ms
i found a really good deal on those tires so i got them, but right now i have a set of 225,40,on order so no worries. The wing wil come off once i get a three piece setup lol cause i feel like im drivin the bat mobile:biglaugh:. But back to the question at hand, will my toe being off by 1.5 degrees on the rear pass side make a big diff in tire wear? Im a student and this is my project car for the time being, so im limited on cash.