rear subframe update

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
so the car I am building is a 1987 that I intend to upgrade to include most (all) of the best MK3 features..

but my parts guy is having trouble finding the 89+(?) rear subframe braces, we have the part # and he has made the inquiries but at this point has come up empty and has asked for a VIN

I could give him my VIN but a 1987 never had those additional brackets in the rear subframe, so thats no good

2 questions

1. -- can the 1987 subframe have these brackets retro-fitted into them?

2. -- would someone be so kind as to PM me a VIN that would have came with these parts? not sure if they are targa specific (preferably a north american VIN)

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Either find an 89+ at the salvage yard, or better yet, have your own subframe reinforced.
An 89+ can still crack.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
In. Canada. It. Would. Be hard

Rust. Plus. Cars sunken into the ground

Thanks for useless suggestion I have already considered

Nearest 89 is a 2 hour trek for a junkyard vin

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
Subframe. Has been blasted inspected rewelded and powdercoated

Just want the add ons.

Unless. someone. Has a mint set lying around

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
I checked car-part.com (it lists parts available in auto wreckers) and they only seem to have pre 89 rear crossmembers.

I thought I remember reading that the 89+ were more prone to cracking because of the added bracing making it to stiff.
I tried searching for the thread where I read about it but can't find it.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The area is cracks isn't helped by the added supports of the 89+ subframe.

You could probably make the pieces easy enough as they're just tubes with the ends flattened to bolt on...

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
I. Doubt the addition of those braces was a pointless endevour from. Toyotas perspective

I'm. Going to guess they were added for a good reason

Franco. You've given me more research. To do.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I wonder why some cars crack these and some never do. My 87 has 104K on it and no cracks. It was used as an offroad beater car by some kids for a while before I got it too.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
#04;1892515 said:
In. Canada. It. Would. Be hard

Rust. Plus. Cars sunken into the ground

Thanks for useless suggestion I have already considered

Nearest 89 is a 2 hour trek for a junkyard vin

That was rude.

Just reinforce your current subframe, it is not worth the hassle, plus shipping a subframe to canada would be much more pricy than making your own reinforcements, or even having someone making them. They are just two bars that run from the front to the back on each side of the differential.

I just shipped a subframe (just the subframe, no differential in it) to another user in the US, and I am located in the US. Shipping alone was $220. That doesn't even include the subframe its self, and you will have to find a member wanting to get rid of one.

EDIT: Didn't notice you were looking for just the two braces running across. In that case, still good luck. You should just make your own in my opinion, because it would just be two support beams running across from the front to the back. Not hard to do.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Just reinforce it bro. Grind down the powdercoat where you are going to weld...weld it up...and have it re-powdercoated. You will spend less money and time this way

Example of reinforcement:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
My. Powder. Coater is a pain to deal with

The. Suibframe is installedand fully loaded.

I agree that was rude. Like pointing out the obvious isn't insulting in anyway

Shit. If anyone is concerned I can return the favour with ascan of one of my ownerships

Even a partscar vin. Would suffice

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
#04;1892539 said:
I. Doubt the addition of those braces was a pointless endevour from. Toyotas perspective

I'm. Going to guess they were added for a good reason

Franco. You've given me more research. To do.

Oh, it's not a pointless endevor, it's just not braced in the spot where it fails. I think the braces were more to stiffen the handling up than anything else...

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
^stiffen up the handling on a targa car is in my check list,

for example this chassis has been stich welded throughout - inside/out from strut tower to strut tower

I have seen photos of the center diff section torn apart from the outside channels, I did heavily inspect that area and did have some rewelding done

repost; this is why junkyard is likely not the option for this build,
2 hours to drive - 2 hours to remove (safety first) - 2 hours to sandblast prep repaint-- to save about $160 on new OEM...
with those 6 hours I could just go to work and come back in the +$
15789552_large.jpg

^older photo.... now with gas tank, 1/2 shafts, sway bar in correct orrientation,

I suppose I could make them but again, no tube bender..

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Why. Are. You. Talking so. Strangely?

Have you been watching a Shatner week or something? :p