rear main seal question.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
I'm wondering if its possible to replace the rear main seal without taking off the oil pan. Has anyone done this with the engine still in the bay?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Yes completely possible, you just pry the old seal out of the retainer/housing and evenly tap the new one into place. Trans and flywheel needs to be removed.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
If you know someone with a Lathe have them take 1mm off the back of the steel part of the seal, this lets it go back further into the housing and puts the lip behind the 20 year old groove in the crank, often even a new seal will leak/seep becuase of the groove.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
IJ.;1804454 said:
If you know someone with a Lathe have them take 1mm off the back of the steel part of the seal, this lets it go back further into the housing and puts the lip behind the 20 year old groove in the crank, often even a new seal will leak/seep becuase of the groove.

Thanks Ian. I'll look into that also

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
tyang82;1804560 said:
How does the crank get grooved?

IBoughtASupra;1804565 said:
I believe it's the seal not being changed and the spring wearing against the crank.
Seriously dude do you think before you post this random crap?... :nono:

For the Spring to get anywhere near the Crank surface ALL of the Lip would need to be gone so the Rear Main would piss Oil everywhere..

It's just the Seal doing it's job and crap from the outside sticking to it and being abrasive that causes the wear.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
It's a simple Tech section rule, if you don't know don't post or make shit up.... Andy should knopw better by now.

At a pinch you can carefully mark and linish the 1mm off as long as you don't go crazy and overheat the Seal.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
So I can grind a little off instead if I can't find a shop with a lathe? If yes, I'll get 2 seals just in case the worst can happen.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
If you can be very sure you'll make it an even 1MM.

Other than that, lathe would be best. I am sure your local machine shop would have a lathe that can do it. If you can't find one, PM Albert. I am sure he could do it for a very reasonable price.