Rear end gear questions

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
So i took my car to the track this weekend i wasnt to impressed. Heres a little about my car its a n/a shell with a gte motor in it i still have the 4.30 gear in the rear end with a r-154 tranny car is pretty much all stock fresh stock rebuild with downpipe ran a 9.1 at 82mph in the 1/8th.

Any ways i couldnt get the car out of the hole with out spinning unless i took off like granny and regaurdless of what i did i still had to shift even before the 60ft mark cant really get it to hold much boost leaveing and i just dont really like that gear i was just about on rev limiter at the 1/8th mile mark. Question is what gear is everyone running all the v8 guys say leave that gear in and all the import guys dont really seem to know much about that stuff and i really dont know what to do i really think a diffrent gear would help me i just think the 4.30 is to much. I do have 2 turb parts cars one auto and one 5-spd which gear is which and what gear should i run and what is ur input on this 3.73 4.10 4.30 i beleave those are the options.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
If you are still running an open differential you wont hook. Better tires and LSD rear are needed for a good launch.

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
H&R lowering springs on stock tems suspension with bad camber, 4.30 lsd rear and last pas i had 15 psi in the tires, id just like to run my first gear out past the 60 foot and i cant do it with that rear end. I also do some roll raceing from around a 40-60 roll.

I found some vids from 2 of the guys i raced ill go get the links and post them

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
First run ever on the car decided i was gonna take it easy just took of like granny then it fell on ts face still haveing some fuel problems on both runs as well.
9.49@81mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHunQCrNtWw

last run tryed to launch it with 15psi in the tires spun alot 9.1@80mph also shifted into 4th that run because i thought i was gonna hit limiter the tach in my car doesnt work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8pZJUhML10

also info on my clutch its built locally here its kevlar on one side and carbon on the other with a 2900lb pressure plate ive tryed everything it will not slip out

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
IJ.;1266637 said:
Be kind to your Mother and always wear clean underwear ;)
IJ is always full of great and helpful information.

thebadz32;1266901 said:
H&R lowering springs on stock tems suspension with bad camber, 4.30 lsd rear and last pas i had 15 psi in the tires, id just like to run my first gear out past the 60 foot and i cant do it with that rear end. I also do some roll raceing from around a 40-60 roll.

I found some vids from 2 of the guys i raced ill go get the links and post them

For one the bad camber will deff not help with hook up. You will just be running the inside of the tire. Maybe try running better tire w/ around 25psi of pressure so your tire doesnt cup. If you can get hookup you will literally JUMP off the line. Too bad your tach doesnt work Id like to know what RPM's you are reving at the end of the 1/8th.