Rear BBK anyone?

jnybbad

Sep 16, 2012
vacaville, ca
I finally saw one of the STI hubs and it is stepped. Inner step is 58mm for the rotor and outer is 56mm for the wheel. I just machined my hub down to 58mm and machined a small releif on the ouside diameter to clear the step on the inside of the rotor. I then bought. 73mm x 56mm aluminium hub centric rings for the rear wheels and opened up the ID to 58mm to fit the new hub. Now I can buy new rotors and not have to make any adjustments.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 166

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I knew I wasn't crazy :rofl:

Miata has a stepped hub as well, the area for the rotor to sit is larger than the face for the wheel. It simply looks tapered when it has rust on it though >.>

Haven't touched the Supra in a long time so wasn't sure if ours had the same setup.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Well, I completed this but totally forgot to grind that backing plate down, and what an AWFUL noise that makes haha.

It's such a HUGE improvement though, especially with my Wilwood 13" front kit.

I used 3mm washers, Agency Power Evo lines, M10x1.5x40mm grade 10 bolts, and Stoptech rotors and pads.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
Dylan JZ;1969632 said:
Well, I completed this but totally forgot to grind that backing plate down, and what an AWFUL noise that makes haha.

It's such a HUGE improvement though, especially with my Wilwood 13" front kit.

I used 3mm washers, Agency Power Evo lines, M10x1.5x40mm grade 10 bolts, and Stoptech rotors and pads.

What backing plate? and could you tell us where you ordered those parts from :)? Thanks!

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Ordered the calipers off eBay for $250 shipped, and they were damn near brand new. The lines were ordered from MVP Motorsports by coincidence (shrug), bolts off eBay bolt supplier (American), random 3mm washers I found at my friend's shop, rotors and pads from AJUSA.com

The backing plate is right behind the e-brake assembly. The actual best way to avoid this is to have the lip in the rotors (the one that runs the plate) milled down about 2mm or flat to the rotor face.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Do you have pictures to what you're talking about? This would help me and anyone in the future of trying to install these calipers/ rotors. Thanks a bunch!

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
jt2ma71;1884038 said:
410103 x 2
420133 x 2
1 ft. -3 Line with straight -3 female ends x 2.

XRP does not have anti-whip sleeves. Maybe stop tech will do them.

Just to be sure...

i will need a total of two 1ft lines and 4 of each fitting to have a complete set of brake lines for the rears? The items listed above is just for one side correct?

TrqMnstr

HKS Whore!!!
Oct 31, 2005
Los Angeles, California, United States
sylquebec;1788154 said:
Total cost of my setup is (CAD):
Use EVO 9 2007 caliper (2): $250
Standard Raybestos 2005 WRX STI disc (2) : $140
Standard raybestos Mitsubichi EVO 9 brake pads (4) : $50
Bolt (4): $2.00
58 to 60mm bore machining (2) : $25
TOTAL : $467.00 tx and everything include ( no labor, i do it myself)

Here is some pics of my install + some tips :

Both MK3 and EVo bolt will not be correct to use. The evo bolt are not long enough. You need to buy 1/4-3/8 longer.
I use some 7mgte head bolt washer to space the caliper. They are perfect. So if you have some spare, go for it.
For the dust sheild, you only need to cut the 90 degre part of it (the lip). I apply paint where i cut to prevent rust.
I use the stainless brake line that come with my caliper, i think this is the stock one.
Oh, i did not mesure inside the disc for the hand brake, but it look like they are a little bit smaller. Reason is that my handbrake was in need of a little adjusting and now it is just perfect, 5-6 click make it perfect. So you may need a little adjusting depending of yours.

p1984295_1.jpg

You can see the washer spacing the caliper
p1984295_2.jpg

p1984295_3.jpg

Sawblade fit (2-3mm space) But i will not run those anymore since i will be upgrading the front too. I test fit just for your info.
p1984295_4.jpg

For those that don't want to go through the 41 pages like I just did. Really good info though.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
It will still foul all sorts of noise on the bearing back plate unless the STIs rotor lip (located on the back side) is machined off as well..

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I thought that would be possible originally, but it doesn't create enough clearance unfortunately.. Mine still made tons of noise when the hub deflected in a hard turns, thus machining the rotor is the only way.

That said, I LOVE my BBK setup with these rears. It is pretty much badass haha.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
As I recall, the prices were near double despite being new, and since the Evo IX isn't that old, I figured I didn't need new calipers. As luck would have it, mine were damn near brand new. Prices have since dropped a bit (~$50), but that's still $90 more than what I paid shipped.

But yeah, if you want to be sure you're getting good stuff, you can do that. Plus, the Centrics (only ones worth buying) come with posi-quiet pads loaded in which are probably almost the same pad that are in mine (Stoptec street pads). Centric makes the best OE rotors and pads IMO, and they make Stoptech which I love, so.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Dylan JZ;1987982 said:
The FRS and BRZ don't have Brembos. Or am I misunderstanding you?

EDIT: ah, the rotor. Interesting. Someone should try it out lol

STI brembos are direct bolt ons to the FRS/BRZ. Only change that needs to be made is the bleeders.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I see where you're going with this, but it's just conjecture as far as the rotor goes.

I don't think there is 8mm of play in the Brembos. Mine were snug with new pads and the STI rotors, so.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
So I did some cals against some diff setups to see what the break bias would be.

Check it out, I think i'm going to jump on this ban wagon as well, to even out my cobra breaks in the front and give my rear end a little more bite as it's pretty lacking