Rear BBK anyone?

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Not as of yet. They shipped and as soon as they show up I'll letcha know. As far as the covers go...
What I thought i was getting...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Turned to this...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Well I'm $400 in SO FAR lol. Which is what replacing my already shot rear calipers would have ended up costing me to replace with new, this way I get working brakes and an upgrade :)

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
1jz-Rolla;1884312 said:
Agreed 100% spiller........ maybe this is a better option hey!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-3D-B...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27cbfc14bf

I "might" get a chance to go out to the garage this afternoon and pull a rear brake apart to confirm the brake shoe offset.... Have buggered 2 discs in my back at the moment though, so swinging a spanner in a tight space is not ideal. Will just take a shot of concrete beforehand. Haha

BTW: Some other brake manufacturers may not produce their rotors with that step, so it may not be a problem for all. yhatzee, have you received yours yet to check?
HAHA i owned a honda once upon a time (first car was an 88 prelude, have stuck with the wedge shape ever since) and those caliper covers were a popular modification amongst the online community.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
As far as painting them, I painted my rotors on my '87 and I didn't paint out past the hat and I ended up with a ring of rust between where the pad touched and where the paint stopped. I hated it cuz it looked like ass. When I painted my rotors on my F250 I painted the whole thing, even the braking surface, drove it in town for a couple of days, then changed to the new pads I had bought = no rust ring and a better look :)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

You can see the gap :/

What I got to replace/fix this problem
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
For me, it's not about show, it's about go.

Currently, I don't track my car, and as such, the stock brakes work well enough to throw my tires into anti-lock, even after some spirited driving. As such, I'm not looking to upgrade my brakes just yet, although I did buy a Doward BBK, which I'll probably install about the time I'm ready to put this into play. I seem to recall though that there's some unused space between the edge of the machined surface for the shoes and the actual contact area.

jt2ma71

Impeller Head
Mar 30, 2005
Washington State
www.cardomain.com
The e brake shoe surface step is not an issue. The possible issue is the step on the inside hub/flange mating surface. Measure the hub flange at its widest and measure that step. I had mine machined to take that step further outwards so it sits flushed and flat on the hub flange. And yes, no leaks on both cars I did with the fittings I mentioned.

1jz-Rolla

Sep 11, 2011
Canberra
jt2ma71;1884337 said:
The e brake shoe surface step is not an issue.

As jt2ma71 says here, the e-brake shoe has heaps of clearance - just pulled mine apart to check and there's 6mm to spare, so no need for machining there.

The possible issue is the step on the inside hub/flange mating surface. Measure the hub flange at its widest and measure that step. I had mine machined to take that step further outwards so it sits flushed and flat on the hub flange.

This is a good point, as the step goes the opposite way to what you'd expect...... who knows why its there? bloody Subaru....... :p I'd be wary of machining across the entire surface from the center to the outside edge of that face though, unless you also skimmed the wheel mounting face and both sides of the disc surface to ensure they all remain true - otherwise the runout could be a problem. I'm sure your machinist only took down that stepped section though to avoid this. Good info, thanks jt.

I've got some more pics and fitting points that i'll post up once they upload.

1jz-Rolla

Sep 11, 2011
Canberra
Ok, so here's some more detail on what i've found this afternoon, for those who aren't assured that "bolt on" really is as simple as all that....... (i'm always a skeptic on these things!)

Machining the I.D of the STi disc to 60.6mm gives ample clearance for fitment over the hub spigot, without excess play.

As in the post above, the step in the e-brake drum surface doesn't interfere with the e-brake shoe - there is 6mm clearance

In the picture below of the stock disc, there is a rubber plug offset between two of the wheel studs. This gives access to the e-brake shoe adjuster. If you don't drill a matching hole in your STi disc, then you have no means of adjusting the position of the shoes.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

This is the adjuster underneath:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

The dust shield can remain, there is room to push it back far enough to clear the Sti disc. BUT - there may be contact between the dust shield and upper balljoint at certain points of the suspension travel. Check this on your car, it may be preferable to cut away the dust shield instead.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

For the brake line, it would be ideal to maintain the downward angle from the caliper, rather than coming out perpendicular from it. In this pic, the suspension is at full droop (albeit with coilovers), as the suspension compresses, you'd have a fair working angle on the fitting at the caliper if it were straight - I'll be going for a 45 degree banjo fitting, and having a bow in the line as it is with the stock caliper.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

The backing plate for the e-brake hardware has a pressed lip - you can see it in this pic below, i've marked it with a pink posca pen (though it appears white). On my car, this fouls the disc (as mytmk3 found also on his - see further pic below). Not enough to bind, I can still turn the rotor by hand with it torqued down, but it would make a hell of a noise until it self-clearanced. Will probably have to shave this down a mm or so.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here you can see (in pink marker), the section of the disc that contacts the backing plate. I wouldn't machine it as it is part of the structure of the disc (the cooling vanes)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

and just finally, this lip you see protruding above the rear of the disc surface looks like it would be a problem, but its not :) It actually clears that lip on the backing plate perfectly. [EDIT] this is incorrect, it actually does foul on the e-brake backing plate when you torque down the disc. It can be machined down 1mm though to clear.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Hope this helps some of you that want to know the potential hurdles before fitting your "bolt on" BBK :p

Cheers
Phil

[EDIT] Just a reminder guys, these notes apply to RDA branded discs, other manufacturer's might have slight variations on dimensions for non-critical surfaces. i.e: you won't necessarily have the same clearance issues.

Last edited:

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
Legend!

So that backing plate will need to be grinded down with an angle grinder or something? otherwise its going to involve removing the hub and taking it to a machine shop which i CBF doing at this point in time. Obviously this wasnt an issue with the US based guys who've been using NAPA rotors as im sure we would have heard other complaints other than from mytmk3 by now.

1jz-Rolla

Sep 11, 2011
Canberra
Yeah I guess its a case of different castings for different rotor manufacturers.

The amount that needs to be taken off the lip is small enough that you could get away with a grinder or powerfile, without removing the handbrake shoes.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
1jz-Rolla;1884350 said:
Ok, so here's some more detail on what i've found this afternoon, for those who aren't assured that "bolt on" really is as simple as all that....... (i'm always a skeptic on these things!)
Thanks for the information, this is really useful for those of us looking at doing this, and gives more ideas as to where to check for potential issues.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Dan_Gyoba;1884442 said:
Thanks for the information, this is really useful for those of us looking at doing this, and gives more ideas as to where to check for potential issues.
And this is what makes SM so great... the Domestic forums in Australia are so unhelpful it's like they're guarding State secrets... :nono:

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
oh haha that must have been in the MKIV section? i think most of the newer MKIII owners over there are pretty forthcoming with their ideas/mods these days.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
spiller;1884560 said:
oh haha that must have been in the MKIV section? i think most of the newer MKIII owners over there are pretty forthcoming with their ideas/mods these days.
"Domestic" i.e. Holden forum :)
(I don't go anywhere near the AU Supra forums)

1jz-Rolla

Sep 11, 2011
Canberra
If it were stickied......... It would need to be cut down a hell of a lot! A straightforward guide article would be much better.