Rear BBK anyone?

-AR-

Sep 16, 2012
FL
DarkOne0;1875076 said:
Well I got my brakes installed this weekend. The good news is when combined with my AZ Wilwoods the rears don't lock up before the fonts. The bad news is I flat spotted one of my front tires while bedding in the rears. The install was actually really easy. Everything just went together without any issues. Used my current supra Earls Stainless Steel lines. Does anybody know if the Discount Tire warranty covers flat spots? I paid the extra money for the damn protection so I would like to use it.

you should do some 60-0 70-0 and post the results verse stock numbers..i think stock is 125ft if im not mistaken on 60-0

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
-AR-;1875101 said:
you should do some 60-0 70-0 and post the results verse stock numbers..i think stock is 125ft if im not mistaken on 60-0

That's going to prove nothing.
Your tires are the same, your weights the same, all factors are the same.
Now go do 5 stops consecutively or high speed stops then you will see results.

We did a stock brake system supra compared to our 13.6" kit and the Evo/sti rears. The first 2 60-0 stops were dead even. The third, Bbk car stopped sooner by a car. The forth was no match while the stock brake supra easily doubled the normal distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-AR-

Sep 16, 2012
FL
stevenr816;1875104 said:
That's going to prove nothing.
Your tires are the same, your weights the same, all factors are the same.
Now go do 5 stops consecutively or high speed stops then you will see results.

We did a stock brake system supra compared to our 13.6" kit and the Evo/sti rears. The first 2 60-0 stops were dead even. The third, Bbk car stopped sooner by a car. The forth was no match while the stock brake supra easily doubled the normal distance.

not sure what your saying... im guessing your saying its stops the same as the factory setup, just doesnt fade by the 3-4 stops from 60-0 consecutively as the stock setup does?

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
-AR-;1875137 said:
not sure what your saying... im guessing your saying its stops the same as the factory setup, just doesnt fade by the 3-4 stops from 60-0 consecutively as the stock setup does?

Correct. Doesn't matter if you has a 20" Bbk, your going to stop the same distance as stock as long as you can put the tire to the limit on the stock setup.

Now if you shaved weight, you would reduce stopping distance on both setups equally. Same with stickier tires.

Bbk have more mass, bigger pad area, etc that would delay brake fade if not if not diminish it.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
DarkOne0;1875076 said:
Well I got my brakes installed this weekend. The good news is when combined with my AZ Wilwoods the rears don't lock up before the fonts. The bad news is I flat spotted one of my front tires while bedding in the rears. The install was actually really easy. Everything just went together without any issues. Used my current supra Earls Stainless Steel lines. Does anybody know if the Discount Tire warranty covers flat spots? I paid the extra money for the damn protection so I would like to use it.
Did you end up using the 2mm washers to space the caliper outboard? Also what wilwood calipers are on the front, 6 or 4 pot? How is the pedal feel with the stock master cylinder?

DarkOne0

Jun 21, 2011
Houston
spiller;1875176 said:
Did you end up using the 2mm washers to space the caliper outboard? Also what wilwood calipers are on the front, 6 or 4 pot? How is the pedal feel with the stock master cylinder?

Yes I used some 2mm spacers. I have the 4 pot Wilwoods. The pedal feel feels about the same as it did with the stock rears. Everything seems to be working great together. For some reasons my parking brake is looser now. I guess I have to readjust it for the STI rotors.
The Wilwood and Evo calipers are so easy to deal with compared to the stock units.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
yeah as far as swapping pads goes, they are much simpler. pad wear will be far more even with the twin piston as opposed to the crappy sliding stock caliper. I have the wilwood 4 pots up front too so that is good to know.

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
DarkOne0;1875278 said:
Yes I used some 2mm spacers. I have the 4 pot Wilwoods. The pedal feel feels about the same as it did with the stock rears. Everything seems to be working great together. For some reasons my parking brake is looser now. I guess I have to readjust it for the STI rotors.
The Wilwood and Evo calipers are so easy to deal with compared to the stock units.

Parking brake being looser is very odd as the ID of the sti rotor parking brake is a decent bit smaller.

DarkOne0

Jun 21, 2011
Houston
stevenr816;1875452 said:
Parking brake being looser is very odd as the ID of the sti rotor parking brake is a decent bit smaller.

Thats what I thought so I didn't bother adjusting it when I put the rotors on. Maybe my old ebay rotors weren't to spec? Either way its just a minor annoyance having to remove the rotor to adjust.

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
my calipers just arrived today disturbed your the man :) sub $400 nzd bbk

p1875658_1.jpg

p1875658_2.jpg

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
haha yea just ordering rotors now just wanted to make sure the calipers fit because stated in this thread it said evo7 calipers I bought these ad said evo 5-8 wasn't sure what they came off turns out they are fine

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
disturbed1;1738215 said:
thought id share what i discovered rather then keep a secret...

evo brembo calipers + sti rear rotors = instant rear bbk (no brakets required)

that is all

If this was Facebook I would like that post. ^ lol