Rear BBK anyone?

7mgte88

Jul 7, 2010
Maine
Anyone else looked into this? I can't see the Brembo's just bolting onto the rear. The Supra has one stud and one bolt to hold the caliper on.... Extremely interested though!

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
hmmm looks good, but wont match my wilwood fronts lol.....still worth it for those with front bbks

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Looks like a nice upgrade, and I'll keep it in mind for when my front brakes get upgraded, but I wouldn't be upgrading the rears without first upgrading the fronts, myself, even if I do have ABS.

7mgte88

Jul 7, 2010
Maine
I ordered eBay STI rotors and use Evo calipers for my girlfriends 88 Turbo. I'll post up when its all done!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
7mgte88;1758386 said:
Anyone else looked into this? I can't see the Brembo's just bolting onto the rear. The Supra has one stud and one bolt to hold the caliper on.... Extremely interested though!

You're talking about the slides. You have to remove that braket.

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
7mgte88;1758892 said:
I ordered eBay STI rotors and use Evo calipers for my girlfriends 88 Turbo. I'll post up when its all done!

Awesome, I too have ordered some also but havent even had time to mock it up or anything. Please do post up some pictures when you're done.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well, according to the info that I have, both the Evo and STi had 17" rims stock, so no doubt that it'd work with that just fine, however, rear brakes are typically smaller than front brakes, and this combination might well work with a 16" wheel, though since it would be kind of pointless to go BBK for the rear, but not the front, tghe fronts are going to be what dictates minimum wheel size anyway.

For example, I know that a 15" rim won't make it on the front of the A70, but will work on the rears.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Dan_Gyoba;1761538 said:
For example, I know that a 15" rim won't make it on the front of the A70, but will work on the rears.

A note on that, a 15" will only fit on the rear if it's the proper offset. It needs to be lower than stock offset from my experience. Used a spare wheel/tire from the girlfriend's Mazda 3 stock wheels (15", +35ish offset) once, and it rubbed on the rear caliper a bit.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Only ever tried it with one, from the Previa van and it fit okay. Not that I'd ever likely try it as a permanent thing, and it's obvious that Toyota never intended the A70 for use on rims smaller than 16"

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
The handbrake cable and shoe assembly stays where it is and acts on the drum on the inside of the sti rotor hat just as the stock supra setup does

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Figured I'd bump this to the top to get some more clarification.

Has anyone put together a detailed write-up? I know it's fairly straight forward, I'd just like to confirm I am ordering the correct pieces. The specific years would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Mo

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
What you guys are saying, after removing the stock caliper bracket, there has to be a spacer of 2MM to have the caliper sit correctly over the rotor?

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
The spacers are to bring the caliper further out-board (towards the wheel) and you need four in total (one for each caliper mounting point). From what I gather, you dont need any spacers for the rotor, it slides right on with the central bore modified to 60.1mm.

Mo87NA do you have a part no. for the rotors you ordered? Distrubed (OP) was unsure as to the exact year or STi rotor he had as apparently there are two different types for 5x114.3 STis. If you could post up the part number and the year/model of Sti you went for that would be great.

cheers