Rear BBK anyone?

gwumpkus

Nov 27, 2009
Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
te72;1738333 said:
I know that we're talking about Mitsubishi parts here, but how many Evos do you see in junkyards? :p

Know any machinists? Best way to go about doing something like this. Basically you're just grinding away material from the center of the mounting surface, as the bore of the rotor and the bore of the hub need to match. Same idea with wheels, if your center bore is bigger on your hub than on your wheel, you're going to have headaches getting that wheel to fit...

On the original subject, awesome info man! Might not be as light as some of the aftermarket applications, but still... can't beat the price, would just need to get a proportioning valve to get the balance right, correct?

thanx for explaining this! i thought this was what it meant, but wasnt sure... thought this mod was plug and play!..:).. guess not.. but even then, with a little machining work, its not that hard after all..:)..

Last edited by a moderator:

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
I am sure that they will be better, but I am curious as to how much more powerful they will be than the stock supra calipers because the evo 8 rears are also single piston correct? I am not doubting simply wondering how much more powerful.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
BigKO;1738940 said:
I am sure that they will be better, but I am curious as to how much more powerful they will be than the stock supra calipers because the evo 8 rears are also single piston correct? I am not doubting simply wondering how much more powerful.

Could always buy an aftermarket 4 piston caliper designed to fit the EVO and use that ;)

----------

Well done Chris brilliant find!

disturbed1

Jan 10, 2006
perth
unfortunately havent been home long enough to fit them up properly so cant write an step by step process yet.

so far all ive done was get the bore machine dout 2mm on the rotors (i went with late model 5x114.3 pcd 316x20mm brembo cross drilled to match my cross drilled brembo fronts).

the earlier 5x100 pcd rotor may be a better option... i dont know

only remote issue is the dust shield. not sure how much will need to be hacked off it to make fit. an alternative option is perhaps just machining 3mm of the back of the handbrake drum on the rotor...

all in all about as easy as an upgrade as possible..; prob not worth your while unless you got upgraded front brakes to match..

all up i paid 250 for calipers and 450 for rotors, rest of work gettign them to fit is basically free... (may cost you someon eelse 50 in machining)

disturbed1

Jan 10, 2006
perth
dont think you can still get them. retailed for 3.5k usd or somethign so prob wouldnt have wanted to buy one anyway.

i can easily reproduce brackets to suit 332 or 355mm f40 kits. there are so many different hat offset configs thats its not worth pumping any out unless people where happy to run a 1 piece rotor..

if there was interest in a one piece 355 kit, could look at getting a few sets of brackets made.

disturbed1

Jan 10, 2006
perth
just installed my rear brakes then..

here is the part list along with what needs to be done..

evo v-viii brembo caliper (red ones however i think they all te same anyway)
latemodel sti rear rotors (316x20 with 114.3 pcd)
4x 2mm washers
tin snips

how to fit them....

1.pay someone to bore out the sti hub from 58 to 60.1mm
2. cut off dust shield with tin snips
3. bolt kit on using washers to space the caliper closer to the outside of the wheel

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
disturbed1;1739143 said:
dont think you can still get them. retailed for 3.5k usd or somethign so prob wouldnt have wanted to buy one anyway.

i can easily reproduce brackets to suit 332 or 355mm f40 kits. there are so many different hat offset configs thats its not worth pumping any out unless people where happy to run a 1 piece rotor..

if there was interest in a one piece 355 kit, could look at getting a few sets of brackets made.

Are you referring to the Ferarri? I always thought those were center lug cars...

disturbed1

Jan 10, 2006
perth
f40 just refers to the style of caliper and the piston diameters. f50s are identical to f40s in appearance but have tiny bit bigger pistons

p1020654xy7.jpg

heres pics of my brake setups

Track supra:

front - stoptech 355mm two piece rotors + f50 calipers +custom brackets my dad made (he is a machinist)
rear - 315x1" pfc rotors (nascar spec) + lotus ap racing calipers + custom brackets and hats

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

daily soarer (soon to get parted out and all the goodies put on my daily supra)

front - stillen bbk. 332x32mm brembo cross drilled rotor +f40 calipers
rear - setup posted in this thread

p1020744wn2.jpg

pc311812.jpg

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
Interesting.

So getting back on subject about the EVO 8 rear calipers. The mounting holes on the caliper fits right onto the MK3 rear mounting holes? No special bracket required?

Also with the new rotor and EVO 8 caliper does the braking surface have any run offs? Or everything is lined up correctly with the additional parts you mentioned?