Ready for paint *updated with pics

89gte

Regular
Apr 26, 2011
Tennessee
Cars ready for paint, any recommendations on paint codes? I'm set on painting black, but not sure which black to use. Painter friend recommended Honda b92p nighthawk black, which is a blue pearl, but I'm not so sure about that. Not sure about the Toyota black either because I've heard they use yellow pigments in it. I've read through all the threads I've found on here and SF. Open to suggestions

Last edited:

89gte

Regular
Apr 26, 2011
Tennessee
From what i've read, i'm scared that might look too light in the sun. IIRC, I could only find a couple pics of it, but I'll see if I can't find more. I'd prefer something that is really just black

Last edited:

89gte

Regular
Apr 26, 2011
Tennessee
I think I've decided to go with a pure black i.e. dupont chromabase 99k or jet black

Last edited:

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
I used to sell for Porsche and they have a great metallic called Basalt Black. It's fantastic if you want a black car but want to avoid the "black plague" of having to wash it every 15 minutes to keep it popping.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Tapatalk 2

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
89gte;1906450 said:
From what i've read, i'm scared that might look too light in the sun.
Black cars look better in the shade. :p

Black cars also look better when they're kept absolutely, perfectly clean. I don't think that there's any other colour which is as affected by even the slightest amount of dust.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Dan_Gyoba;1907214 said:
Black cars look better in the shade. :p

Black cars also look better when they're kept absolutely, perfectly clean. I don't think that there's any other colour which is as affected by even the slightest amount of dust.
Will NEVER own another Black car due to this no matter how awesome they look... :(

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
The whole dust and swirl marks and scratches is the reason I am going to have my red one repainted the same as my last one. Factory color too....Deep Blue Metallic.

<----------It's over there :icon_bigg it was sitting for about 3 months when that pic was taken. So that is 3 months of TN dust.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
I want a black mk3 soooo bad, but damnit all to hell I know it'll be scratched one way or another and I'll be pissed as all hell... I'm planning on going gunmetal with my burgundy 89... not gonna spill the beans ont he exact paint code, but I will say i was going to paint my other last supra (stolen) harley davidson black (purple in sunlight) :naughty:

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
89gte;1906532 said:
I think I've decided to go with a pure black i.e. dupont chromabase 99k or jet black

Car looks good.
How much was a quart of that chromabase in black in your area? Or did you buy it by the gallon?
How much was a quart of clear? I would like to know if there's a price difference between our states.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
Suprapowaz!(2);1911389 said:
Car looks good.
How much was a quart of that chromabase in black in your area? Or did you buy it by the gallon?
How much was a quart of clear? I would like to know if there's a price difference between our states.

Isn't black always going to be dirt cheap? Even though I'm not crazy about black, a gallon from what I've seen is less than half of what it cost for Super Red.

A gallon of 202 Nason last I checked was $90 vs $200 for 3E5.

The other upside is that it's easy to lay down and match when you get "war wounds".

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
True, black is one of the cheapest. Red is the most expensive solid color out there. I was wondering what chromabase goes for in his neck of the woods. Dupont has upped their price recently, and I'm wondering if it went up everywhere.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
Suprapowaz!(2);1911487 said:
True, black is one of the cheapest. Red is the most expensive solid color out there. I was wondering what chromabase goes for in his neck of the woods. Dupont has upped their price recently, and I'm wondering if it went up everywhere.

They raised the price on the Nason line as well? How much did Dupont increase their price?

When I get some decent flash times this spring I want to respray a SC300. Black of course.

I'm jealous of the Texans and their mild winters.

89gte

Regular
Apr 26, 2011
Tennessee
I ended up going with the PPG black because my friend who sprayed it has a contract with them and was able to get the paint for a discounted price. I'm not sure of the exact price for the paint itself, but it wasn't bad

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Just a couple of years ago I was able to get a quart of black chromabase for around $75. I just got quoted $117/qt last week. And that's with my companies discount. That's just the basecoat, not with the basemaker.