Reading AFRs and Tuning with a DDP

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
I have two downpipes.
I got a BIC DDP and a HKS 3" DP.
I recently took my DDP off my car and installed the HKS so i can get my wideband bung welded to the DDP.
So i was just thinking...because the wastegate is not recirculating back to the exhaust, does this mess with the AFR readings?
I'm going to weld the bung right on the elbow of the downpipe, right by the factory O2 sensor. The HKS DP already has one in that exact spot, so ill do the same for the ddp.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
theKnifeArtist;1426439 said:
I have two downpipes.
I recently took my DDP off my car and installed the HKS so i can get my wideband bung welded to the DDP.
So i was just thinking...because the wastegate is not recirculating back to the exhaust, does this mess with the AFR readings?
I'm going to weld the bung right on the elbow of the downpipe, right by the factory O2 sensor. The HKS DP already has one in that exact spot, so ill do the same for the ddp.
Putting the WB bung that close to the turbo is going to decrease the life in your sensor, AEM states for turbo'd cars the sensor should be mounted at least 18" downstream from the turbo. I have mine 2 inches after the last bend in the DP.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
theKnifeArtist;1426439 said:
I have two downpipes.

Think about this for a minute...AFR = Air Fuel Ratio. All the wastegate will do on a DDP is divert exhaust gas to a different path.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
87supra- so i should have the sensor down under the car then?

jdub- right, thats exactly what i'm saying.
wastegate exhaust gas is being diverted to a different path, a path that doesnt cross the wideband o2. this going to be a problem?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If you have two samples of the same exhaust gas, is the Air Fuel Ratio going to be different?
(think about what the sensor is measuring)

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
theKnifeArtist;1426658 said:
87supra- so i should have the sensor down under the car then?

jdub- right, thats exactly what i'm saying.
wastegate exhaust gas is being diverted to a different path, a path that doesnt cross the wideband o2. this going to be a problem?
Just further away from the heat source, excessive heat takes away from the sensor's life, the WB sensors are a little more sensitive than the NB. I just personally mounted mine a couple inches right after the last bend.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
X2 on what X87SUPRAX87 said. I just installed my Lc-1 with my Maft-Pro and i had the bung welded 2 inches from the last bend on the DP.